TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

would it be bad if we literally couldnt be bad - December 3rd 2014, 10:06 AM

This is hypothetical, and supposed to be futuristic. Anyway, in the future, say the government runs the police in a way where robotic cops could monitor everything, and prevent all crime. Would the human experience be ruined by the fact that we couldn't do anything bad? Like, when I was in 6th grade, me and my buddy threw a rock at a car and got in trouble afterwards. We learned from it and still laugh about it. But like imagine that for every bad/fun thing we try to do, some kind of robocop would just pop up out of the ground(somehow), stopping and detaining us before we even do something. How much would that take away from our lives? Maybe what I mean to say is, if we could only do good things, would our lives be ruined? I don't wanna controlled, I like breaking the rules occasionally (underage drinking, donuts with a car, nothin too bad) but if my ability to do that was taken away, I think I might actually regret it.
My parents got away with so much shit in their day; They also had significantly better childhoods.
I don't know what I'm talkin about, but I think it might be mildly interesting to some people maybe. I've been up for more than a day, so this might just sound weird.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
gdheiwmow Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: would it be bad if we literally couldnt be bad - December 3rd 2014, 02:08 PM

So your question is, what is the theme of A Clockwork Orange?

It would not necessarily be a bad thing, because ideas about good and bad vary greatly between individuals. For instance, I hit the dog when it's invading on my personal property or space. That is not a bad action to me, but a justified punishment. Other people think you should never hit a dog even if it's tearing up furniture and growling at the owner. Since it isn't a bad action to me, I should have no problem still doing it. But then again, I would more likely than not think it's a bad thing to not have the choice. I like being a sadistic asshole sometimes, and that's my right. If everyone had to follow the same moral standards, I would without doubt be stripped of what little enjoyment and education in life there is left for me.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: would it be bad if we literally couldnt be bad - December 3rd 2014, 07:52 PM

^ I was thinking 1984.

Probably a lot like the book 1984, it would suck.

But, I think you are looking at this from a little bit of a naive perspective. Throwing a rock at a car is not funny. It's not. Cars are expensive to buy, maintain and to fix. If someone threw a rock at my car, whether or not it was illegal, there would be consequences to pay. I would make sure of it. So even if a cop didn't come after you for it, I sure would. And I think that goes for a lot of things. People (for the most part) will govern themselves if given the chance, they will get justice (and some even revenge).

I think the idea that your parents has better childhoods because they broke laws is a unique perspective and is not something that could be applied globally. As everyone's opinion on what a "minor" law is differs. You say underage drinking should be OK, others would say that meth should be OK. You say that doing donuts should be legal, others would say that car jacking should be legal. Everybody's opinion is different and because of this, we have a thing called voting. We vote for people to represent our views, we vote on laws, we as a nation, as a state, decide what should be and what shouldn't. The people decided that our current laws are OK. So you gotta go with it.

And really, if you haven't read 1984, you should, its a fantastic read.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: would it be bad if we literally couldnt be bad - December 3rd 2014, 08:14 PM

1984 is indeed fantastic.
In retrospect, when I wrote this, my mind was pretty cluttered after a lot of caffeine and a super tough essay for school. But no, throwing a rock at a car isn't funny in the slightest, we laugh at the stupidity we shared, and we learned from it. (Its laughing like, "you f***ing idiot, I can't believe you wanted to do that!" "Screw you, man, you threw the rock!") Never gonna do it again.
I dont think that my parents had better childhoods because they broke laws, its just that kids would get away with it with only a slap on the wrist from the law and yet they'd still learn from it after being punished by the parents. I almost got the pants sued off of me when I was a child. Maybe what I'm saying is, let the parents punish the child, after the law catches them.
Would I sue a kids family if they hit my car with a rock? Maybe. I think I've started a debate with myself where I cant find logic in my original argument at all. Screw it, lets just try not to turn into 1984.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: would it be bad if we literally couldnt be bad - December 3rd 2014, 11:31 PM

Is this a question about whether the police force should be so involved in our lives that it starts to feel intrusive? That's kinda happening now in the US and elsewhere. The thing about robotcops is that they run like a bureaucracy. They're impersonal and don't see you as human-but merely an entity stepping out of line that has to be pushed back. They don't take anything into context, how could they? they're computerized. So yeah we have a lot of these issues now. But hey, it's efficient and society seems to have their priorities such that efficiency is more important. Reward and punishment replaces understanding of mistakes and space to take risks. Risks are healthy and important. Think about children nowadays who barely have unstructured free time. Everything is laid out for them, they begin to get confused what their interests are and what their parents and teachers interests are. If everything is so perfectly safe, like those cookie cutter playgrounds, it is usually not stimulating enough for them. They need risks but reasonable risks. Monkey bars were taken down in my childhood park because fear of risk. So were my favorite chain climbing thing. Kids need things that are challenging in order to build confidence and feel like they can do things. All by themselves. Safe is not always safe that's the irony. If kids don't get a healthy dose of risk when they're young they miss out on development. If they don't make mistakes and instead they get pressured to be perfect all the time, they develop unhealthy habits and thoughts. The robocops is not going to be nurturing and caring. It is going to say "if you do A, and A is against the law, expect punishment B". It is a very hostile way to deal with humans. I think for people breaking the laws there needs to be a heavy emphasis in human rights both for people breaking the law and the people on the other end who might have suffered. Sometimes people break the law and no one suffers but they get punished anyway. There's a way to be peaceful yet assertive yet reasonable. Rules should allowed to be broken. The police is an outside force and doesn't know the context or anything and I have a problem with that.

Closed Thread