TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Treble Offline
Not a n00b

Question Need Christian advice please? - December 11th 2014, 06:25 PM

Ok, please don't answer if you're not a Christian and have no idea what I'm on about, and I'm really not looking to start a debate on wether or not God is real.

The thing is, I would consider myself a Christian, but I don't know if I'm worshipping God wrongly? I read the bible and follow his teachings, but I don't go to church or talk about God openly. For me, my faith is such a personal thing, its something between me and God and I don't feel the need to talk about it with others. I wouldn't be comfortable going to church, and I don't like when people pray together, I feel that by going to church you're just going along with everyone else and not really fully appreciating God. I think the way we worship God should be personal to each individual. I worship God my own way, I know God loves me and he knows I love him. Is this ok? Or should I just go to church, even though I wouldn't want to be there?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Need Christian advice please? - December 11th 2014, 07:27 PM

Hey there,
What you're describing is not something uncommon. A lot of people want to keep the relationship between themselves and God and that's perfectly okay. The church is something outside of yourself but the relationship between you and God is something you can take with you wherever you go. Many Christians don't go to Church for the same reason. I hope this takes off some pressure because you know what is right for you. Take care.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
crotia Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Need Christian advice please? - December 11th 2014, 07:43 PM

There is this saying: one man is a church, two men are a church community, three men are two churches.

No one knows what the perfect way is to be christian. Eventhough many people like to think that they do.The bible can be intercepted many ways and only God knows who is right. If you believe like that and it works for you teh I believe that's allright.

Helping others sometimes makes it easier to feel good about yourself and help yourself.

So PM me if You want.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
livingdeadboy Offline
Average Joe

Re: Need Christian advice please? - December 11th 2014, 10:37 PM

I'll start off by saying that I'm not a Christian but I understand your dilemma entirely. But why do we see the church as so holy when it is only like a hospital where the sick care for the sick? Most of my family is Christian and very few of them go to church. I was taught from a young age that church does not so our end at the sanctuary. It is everywhere and the house of God is not the church but in your heart. Christianity does not hold to the old testemant laws because man is under grace not law. I was also taught from a young age that Jesus said it all when he have the two greatest commandments(Matt.22:36-40)-love your neighbor even as you love yourself and love God with all your heart. As long as you follow these two commandments you will be saved.

"And will I tell you that these three lived happily ever after? I will not, for no one ever does. But there was happiness. And they did live." - Stephen King
never's the word God listens for when he needs a laugh.- Stephen King

Battles that last five minutes spawn legends that live a thousand years.
Stephen King, The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower, #7)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Writer Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Anna

Re: Need Christian advice please? - December 12th 2014, 02:28 AM

My family is Christian, and have practiced Christianity without going to churches for years. In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with it.

You should go with what feels right. Your religion is between you and your God, and in the end, it's God that knows and judges your heart - not the people who try to convince you that church is the 'right' way to worship.

If your heart's in your religion, then that's all your God wants: Faith, love, and an honest attempt to do right according to scripture. Anyone can go sit in a pew on Sundays and call themselves a Christian, but it takes true faith to be able to maintain your religion without the crowd around you. If your religion is going great, just you and God, then keep it that way.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Need Christian advice please? - December 12th 2014, 04:56 AM

You don't have to go to church to be spiritual. It might be nice to once in a while, you might meet some nice people, learn current events, but I honestly think its nonessential. I'm Catholic and they say the Eucharist is essential, but I've found that I've done fine without It. (Ireland? Guessing your Catholic as well?)
Hell, I never go to church anymore... My parents ruin it for me. When theyre there, I don't sing at all, and I just sit there with a stone cold stare on my face, sitting, standing, platonically shaking hands, or otherwise doing nothing. They effectively ruin religion for me every time they force me to go to church. When I go alone, I feel genuine happiness.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Closed Thread