TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Treble Offline
Not a n00b

Will I go to hell if i kill myself? - January 18th 2015, 05:48 PM

I'm not here to get you guys to change my mind, I'm here looking for a preferably Christian viewpoint (although other religious views are also appreciated) as to wether ending my life will guarantee I end up in hell. I have a strong relationship with God, now I'm not perfect, but I've asked forgiveness for any sins that I do. God I always there for me, he always answers my prayers (to a reasonable extent) and I know that he loves me. He has saved me from suicide once before, and I have little doubt that he wont save me again.
But what if, in the end, even God's love isn't enough to save me? What if I feel that ending my life, to be with God, is my only option? But then again... I'm scared that me killing myself is like me defying God and I'll end up in hell? Wouldn't God understand that I have depression and that I'm just struggling too much to keep going?

Don't get me wrong, I hope it doesn't come to that point. I hope that I get the courage and help that I need to keep fighting. I'm just scared, that it gets too much, and I end it, that I'll be spending an eternity without God and without his love.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Most Likely Offline
Avete vos
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: -

Re: Will I go to hell if i kill myself? - January 18th 2015, 06:17 PM

My view might be biased, as, being areligious, I do not accept and agree with having a spiritual being guiding me and providing help. When it comes to your question, however... I was raised in a christian family, so I still do have some of those values in me (many of them, kindness and forgiveness, for example, are universal) and I did have this talk some time ago. I was told that the reason why suicide is considered a sin, is because commiting it, you give up on the grace and gift God gave to you, the gift of life, being able to experience the world and all it consists of. I can't, sadly, provide any deeper information about it, having severed myself from pretty much any religious beliefs, but I'm certain there are some other users that will guide you with their information.

Good luck.

L.

Who dares - wins.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Most Likely 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Will I go to hell if i kill myself? - January 19th 2015, 09:53 PM

There's no point in denying that Christianity used to view suicide as one of the most serious offences against God, so I'm not going to. In certain denominations (including Catholicism, much as I'm ashamed to say it), it was even sufficient to deny you a church funeral and burial in a consecrated graveyard. Says a lot for the alarming lack of compassion which existed in certain times, and sadly still does so.

That all being said, the attitude of most Christian denominations has softened considerably from there (even the Catholic one, which just goes to show...) as our understanding of mental illness, suicide and its motivating factors has improved. Committing suicide is now more readily recognised as an act of desperation, and is regarded much more sympathetically as a result. At the same time, you're very unlikely to get anyone saying it's absolutely hunky-dory to do it because it still amounts to a rejection of the gift of life, and in some respects a failure of the community (as they may perceive it). So you can pretty much guarantee any Christian will do their utmost to talk you out of it - including this one. God understands you have depression better than anyone or anything, but He won't have given up on you. However difficult things get, there is always a better way than ending it all.

Take care.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Will I go to hell if i kill myself? - January 19th 2015, 10:36 PM

The way I've always viewed it, hell is a place people literally choose to go. Like, hell is literally for people who hate God, or were terrible people during their lives (despite loving God). I always believed that sinless people at the time of their death (very few) would go straight to heaven, sinful yet good people would go to purgatory (also for people who never got a chance to know Jesus), and terrible people and people who hate God go to hell. I have no authority to know for sure what I'm talking about I guess, but to me, its logical.
However, that is NOT me saying its ok to kill yourself. Just hang on, I survived a couple hangings, and I'm doing great now. So can you.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Complete Love. Offline
Life goes on...
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Will I go to hell if i kill myself? - January 26th 2015, 05:03 PM

Hi Treble,

I'v asked this question myself before. And over time i'v learned that firstly being a christian isnt just a religion its a relationship. If you had a really good friend that was struggling you wouldn't give up on them would you? No. You would keep being there for them. Jesus wont give up on you either.

I believe Gods love never changes. Because thats what the bible says. He remains the same forever. Hebrews 13:8 So no matter what you did wrong. Even if you sinned every day, (which we all do) He still loves you EXACTLY the same. His love is still enough. It never decreases not increases. When you got saved Jesus came to live in your heart. He is already with you. You don't have to kill yourself to be with him. He's always with you and that's what it says in his word. Matthew 28:20

One of my most biggest questions was well if Jesus is always with me then why doesnt he take away my deppression and make the pain go away. And I learned that God isnt someone who forces us to do anything. He gives us free will. Most of the time we arent will to let go of our pain because we are afraid of facing it. He is with us, and wants to take away our depression but we have to be the ones to surrender it to him.

Stay Strong.
Sorry if this sounded like some preaching. Cause its not. I'v just been where you are and wanted to share what i'v learned. Hope it helps. Feel free to throw me a pm if you want to talk more. hugs

"If I could just unzip my skin, step out of this body, then I would see who I really am. -Wintergirls

FREE HUGS

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: Will I go to hell if i kill myself? - January 26th 2015, 07:59 PM

According the Bible, if you have salvation and have trusted in Jesus- all your sins, past and future, are forgiven. Suicide , if it is a sin, is not viewed any differently in the bible from other sins. The only unforgiveable sin is rejecting Jesus Christ. Everyone defies God every single day- that is why Jesus came. Some people think that those who kill themselves go to hell because the last thing they did was a sin and hence it wasn't forgiven because they never prayed for forgiveness. This is obviously not biblical - and if it was - most people who died unexpectedly would go to hell too - because theyd likely have sinned that day.

I hope you do not kill yourself as there are always many reasons to live. You are only 15- life will improve.

Closed Thread