TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
Disclosure.'s Avatar
 
Age: 26
Gender: Female

Posts: 5,425
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: October 9th 2009

Question Aliens? - March 15th 2015, 04:19 AM

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this thread so you can move it if you like haha.
Do you believe in aliens? Why/why not?


   
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Aristocrats Offline
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
Aristocrats's Avatar
 
Name: Berea
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Location: Indiana

Posts: 8
Join Date: March 13th 2015

Re: Aliens? - March 15th 2015, 06:45 AM

I absolutely believe in aliens. It seems utterly impossible for us to be the only life in the entire universe, especially now that we've discovered so many potentionally habitable planets.
   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount19
Guest
 
DeletedAccount19's Avatar
Edit avatar
 

Posts: n/a

Re: Aliens? - March 15th 2015, 04:32 PM

I do believe in extraterrestrial lifeforms on other planets, because I find it really hard to believe that Earth is the only one with lifeforms in the entire universe.

However, I don't think these lifeforms are as developed or complex as the beings of Earth. I would compare these beings to the lifeforms on Earth around 540 millions years ago, or further back.
   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
User Anon. Offline
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
User Anon.'s Avatar
 
Gender: N/A

Posts: 63
Join Date: March 6th 2015

Re: Aliens? - March 15th 2015, 04:49 PM

I believe in aliens. It is IMPOSSIBLE for us to be the only living life forms amongst the thousands of GALAXIES.. Somewhere out there, there are a lot of planets with life. Just because we havent found them doesnt mean theyre not there. They may even be more advanced than us, who knows?
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough
*********
 
WhisperingSilence's Avatar
 
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: where ever the coffee is

Posts: 3,461
Blog Entries: 1470
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Aliens? - March 15th 2015, 05:17 PM

Yes I believe in aliens. I dont think they are green with 6 legs like they are portrayed in the media and films. I believe they are like us - just on another planet and that they are learning from us just as in years to come we will probably learn from them in some way or another.



BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.
   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
fallingstargirl Offline
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
fallingstargirl's Avatar
 
Name: Estelle
Age: 18
Gender: Female (she/her)
Location: Virginia, USA

Posts: 542
Join Date: December 19th 2014

Re: Aliens? - March 15th 2015, 05:21 PM

I think they probably exist somewhere, but like some other people said, I think they're probably pretty similar to people/animals/bacteria from earth, and not green with antenna and six legs.



The opposite of war isn't peace - it's creation
~Jonathan Larson

   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Always *'s Avatar
 
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Hogwarts

Posts: 3,186
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: April 12th 2012

Re: Aliens? - March 15th 2015, 08:05 PM

I feel like aliens have such negative connotations because of pop culture and science fiction - like aliens must be stuff from star wars, ET, and so on, which I find highly unrealistic.

However, I essentially think that aliens exist. The universe is gigantic, and judging from what I know, it is getting bigger so there fore there has to be something out there. I have a really hard time believing that we are the only life forms in the entire universe. But I don't believe that aliens will be landing here on earth any time soon.




Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
Celyn's Avatar
 
Name: Holly
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: Wales

Posts: 5,415
Blog Entries: 151
Join Date: June 16th 2009

Re: Aliens? - March 15th 2015, 09:03 PM

I believe in 'aliens' but either they are quite similar to us, but a few galaxies away. Or life closer to us, but in the form of tiny microbes.

I think seeing as space is infinite then there is a good chance that there is other life out there. But not like the media portray


HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I cant help, Im always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount19
Guest
 
DeletedAccount19's Avatar
Edit avatar
 

Posts: n/a

Re: Aliens? - March 15th 2015, 09:16 PM



These are the lifeforms on Earth from the Precambrian (4.6 billion - 542 million years ago) Era.

We don't know how old these planets are, or their distance from the star. The sun and availability of oxygen helped boost evolution, along with flora and fauna.
   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Chaotic mind...
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Forging Galaxies's Avatar
 
Name: Pathetic person
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Location: Hell

Posts: 650
Join Date: April 15th 2013

Re: Aliens? - March 15th 2015, 10:07 PM

It's hard not to believe in aliens, if you place your mind to how massive the universe is then you will know for sure that we're pretty much not the only ones in the universe...

The media always represent the "Aliens" as the evil guys who take over the world and kill everyone for the resources but personally I don't believe any advanced species would be primitive enough to do that... because logically there are zillions of planets out there to mine for resources, plus they'll are technological and more advanced meaning they found new ways to keep their civilization uh... resource-ready as well as controlling the population.

So basically yes I do believe them or much rather I would say to you that they are indeed real and no they will not invade us like in the classic sci-fiction films. Sorry for a weird, complex answer lol


EDIT: Also, by how massive the universe is... it is really big. Imagine your own alien species and they're most likely in existence in some galaxy far away, trust me... it's super big. It's more than our minds can comprehend the size and numbers of things in the universe.
   
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount19
Guest
 
DeletedAccount19's Avatar
Edit avatar
 

Posts: n/a

Re: Aliens? - March 15th 2015, 10:50 PM

Some habitable planets may have more developed/complex lifeforms than others.

Those satellites would have to travel at the speed of light to get there (if it's less than 50-52 light years away) and back in a span of a human lifetime. A seven year old can record a message, have it travel 50 light years at the speed of light, and return when he's 107 with answers. Or his children and grandchildren could hear the answers.

Their life expectancy might be longer or shorter than ours, so their third generation offsprings might be around when the old man (who sent the message as a little boy) gets it but the first generation being will be long gone, and even the second generation.

Thomas is right, there's so much possibilities.

Wavelengths are different. Frequencies are different. Different planets have different materials, who's to say they rely on oxygen and expel CO? The universe spans quintillions of miles around visibly, but even further to where the primitive universe boundaries once laid.
   
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
MWF's Avatar
 
Name: Robert
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Location: The Best City On Earth

Posts: 1,708
Join Date: May 22nd 2010

Re: Aliens? - March 16th 2015, 03:01 AM

Yup. Its literally impossible to disprove the existence of aliens because of how large the universe is, so theres no way to prove me wrong on the issue.


Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
   
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Skyline Offline
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Skyline's Avatar
 
Name: Skye
Age: 19
Gender: Female
Location: France

Posts: 512
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: August 24th 2014

Re: Aliens? - March 16th 2015, 06:29 PM

Definitely! I would have trouble imagining that there aren't aliens. Our universe is so big that it just seems near impossible for us to be the only living creatures in it. But I think that they would be very different from the creatures we know.


"You shall love your crooked neighbour / with your crooked heart."
   
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Proud90sKid's Avatar
 
Name: .
Gender: Male
Location: US

Posts: 302
Join Date: July 6th 2011

Re: Aliens? - March 18th 2015, 12:04 AM

I do. Some people may say " no - because of lack of evidence" . Well to me, its unlikely for aliens to not exist. There are over a hundred billion galaxies with , on average, 400 billion stars each in the observable universe. The actual universe may be much bigger. There are literally thousands of billions of billions of planets in the observable universe- think of the possibilities.

The Fermi paradox is the paradox that there are likely to be a large number of alien civilizations in the universe, yet no signs of their existence- we haven't made contact or seen any direct evidence of aliens. To me, this is not a paradox. The reason seems obvious. The vastness of space seems to be an insurmountable barrier. Ways of overcoming this may require resources that may never be available (ie. a wormhole/method of creating a large enough one) or a level of intelligence that may simply never evolve ( because there may not be any survival advantage to such high level of intelligence).
   
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
ThisWillDestroyYou's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Gender: Male
Location: USA

Posts: 1,050
Join Date: July 5th 2011

Re: Aliens? - March 19th 2015, 02:40 AM

I believe in the possibility of aliens, however, I would not say I currently believe in them. I think it's logical that they exist, but without actual direct evidence (finding organisms or fossils), I won't blindly believe in them. The amount of existing evidence is very promising, however.
   
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
Make Believe's Avatar
 
Name: Kayleigh
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Wales, U.K.

Posts: 6,185
Blog Entries: 190
Join Date: August 31st 2009

Re: Aliens? - March 19th 2015, 02:48 PM

I read a quote a few days ago which I liked:

Quote:
Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. ― Arthur C. Clarke
I don't believe we're the only lifeforms. We're unsure whether the universe is infinite or not, even if it isn't infinite it's gigantic. There probably is a planet out there which is habitable. I can't say that there are aliens for certain because there isn't any proof but it just seems quite likely.


"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Staypositive Offline
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
Staypositive's Avatar
 
Name: Brianna
Age: 19
Gender: Female
Location: United States

Posts: 96
Join Date: January 8th 2015

Re: Aliens? - March 23rd 2015, 10:21 AM

I shall approach this from a unique way:math and reason. One in 50 humans believe to have been abducted by aliens some time in thier life. as of 2015, there were 7,000,000,000,000 people on earth. that means 140,000,000,000 people belive this, or 2% of the population. how the hell could 140 million people be wrong? This does not include the people who just saw them/believe in them but were not abducted. So becasue it is sensible, I believe in it.




and yes this is seriously my logic for everything, i figure out perectanges and numbers to decide something makes any sense. I spent tfrom three to five AM figuring out the difference in probablility or getting sepsis and getting hit by lightning, and then the difference in probability sinking on a ship and being arrested for a crime i did not commit. this was fun for me. therefore, i need a life.
   
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough
*********
 
Adam the Fish's Avatar
 
Name: Adam
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Location: Bristol

Posts: 2,343
Blog Entries: 6
Join Date: August 24th 2012

Lightbulb Re: Aliens? - March 23rd 2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staypositive View Post
I shall approach this from a unique way:math and reason. One in 50 humans believe to have been abducted by aliens some time in thier life. as of 2015, there were 7,000,000,000,000 people on earth. that means 140,000,000,000 people belive this, or 2% of the population. how the hell could 140 million people be wrong? This does not include the people who just saw them/believe in them but were not abducted. So becasue it is sensible, I believe in it.




and yes this is seriously my logic for everything, i figure out perectanges and numbers to decide something makes any sense. I spent tfrom three to five AM figuring out the difference in probablility or getting sepsis and getting hit by lightning, and then the difference in probability sinking on a ship and being arrested for a crime i did not commit. this was fun for me. therefore, i need a life.
Back up a second to your assertion that 1 in 50 people believe that they've been abducted. Where did you get those figures? They don't sound correct to me.
The idea that there might be life elsewhere in the universe doesn't seem unfathomable to me, but the suggestion that so many humans claim to have had such experiences is improbable given that we've never been able to scientifically measured that communication.

Also, your logic would be severely flawed anyway. Since this is a religion forum, let's take that as the example. There are lots of religions but if one considers "Christianity" and "Islam" as two entities whose followers believe vaguely the same things in each religion, then the idea that 140,000,000 people can be wrong is very easy to accept. Islam and Christianity (these are just examples) are conflicting ideas, yet many people genuinely believe in their teachings and a lot would claim to have had experiences with the relevant god or an entity on that god's behalf. They can't both be right; at most only one is correct, with many people therefore being wrong if they followed the other religion. Given the abundance of conflicting religious faiths, actually the majority of the human population is wrong despite a sincere belief that some would claim constitutes knowledge.

So, sorry, but I don't believe your figures and even if 2% of the population believes it has been abducted, that doesn't really prove much.


Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
Make Believe's Avatar
 
Name: Kayleigh
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Wales, U.K.

Posts: 6,185
Blog Entries: 190
Join Date: August 31st 2009

Re: Aliens? - March 23rd 2015, 05:49 PM

I think there could be other life-forms but I find people being abducted by E.T. looking creatures quite unlikely. If aliens are abducting people willy-nilly then how haven't we got any solid physical evidence yet?

This article is quite interesting: http://www.csicop.org/si/show/abduct...leep_paralysis

I've had episodes of sleep paralysis and have "sensed" somebody in the room with me during an episode. The mind can do amazing and scary things.


"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Proud90sKid's Avatar
 
Name: .
Gender: Male
Location: US

Posts: 302
Join Date: July 6th 2011

Re: Aliens? - March 23rd 2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staypositive View Post
I shall approach this from a unique way:math and reason. One in 50 humans believe to have been abducted by aliens some time in thier life. as of 2015, there were 7,000,000,000,000 people on earth. that means 140,000,000,000 people belive this, or 2% of the population. how the hell could 140 million people be wrong? This does not include the people who just saw them/believe in them but were not abducted. So becasue it is sensible, I believe in it.




and yes this is seriously my logic for everything, i figure out perectanges and numbers to decide something makes any sense. I spent tfrom three to five AM figuring out the difference in probablility or getting sepsis and getting hit by lightning, and then the difference in probability sinking on a ship and being arrested for a crime i did not commit. this was fun for me. therefore, i need a life.
Well , if a lot of people believe in something , that does not make it true. 500 years ago, most people (at least in Europe) believed the sun went around the Earth. How could most people be wrong?

To counter your argument by using your argument- I could say that more people doubt that alien abduction experiences are real than claim that alien abductions are real.

Fact is that most alien abduction stories seem to be highly dependent on the "cultural image of the time" of what an alien is supposed to look like-which is usually based on movies and stories.
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
i_m Offline
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
i_m's Avatar
 

Posts: 1
Join Date: March 23rd 2015

Re: Aliens? - March 23rd 2015, 10:11 PM

Hello I do believe in aliens, as well.
Maybe you've heard of those who are channeling with aliens. There is a person called Darryl Anka who channels with an alien called Bashar. Every now and then, there is something like a meeting, where he answers the questions of people. Everything he tells sounds so logical.
So, in case you're interested in it, look for ''Darryl Anka Bashar''. You can find any topic you want. The reason you live on Earth, Aliens, God, Buddha, Time, etc.
   
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount19
Guest
 
DeletedAccount19's Avatar
Edit avatar
 

Posts: n/a

Re: Aliens? - March 23rd 2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staypositive View Post
I shall approach this from a unique way:math and reason. One in 50 humans believe to have been abducted by aliens some time in thier life. as of 2015, there were 7,000,000,000,000 people on earth. that means 140,000,000,000 people belive this, or 2% of the population. how the hell could 140 million people be wrong? This does not include the people who just saw them/believe in them but were not abducted. So becasue it is sensible, I believe in it.




and yes this is seriously my logic for everything, i figure out perectanges and numbers to decide something makes any sense. I spent tfrom three to five AM figuring out the difference in probablility or getting sepsis and getting hit by lightning, and then the difference in probability sinking on a ship and being arrested for a crime i did not commit. this was fun for me. therefore, i need a life.
Just want to point out that you increased the world's population by a thousand percent. So all your statistics are off by 1/1000.
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Bluetears Offline
Blue
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Bluetears's Avatar
 
Name: Crystal
Gender: Questioning
Location: The corner of sadness and yet love

Posts: 232
Join Date: March 19th 2015

Re: Aliens? - March 24th 2015, 04:47 AM

Aye. This universe would be such a waste of space if it were just us after all. Don't see why the damn scientists try to claim otherwise. It's almost mathematically impossible for there not to be something else out there, even if it's just bacteria or something. There's also so much proof out there that shows that there is something else there.


"Remember your loved and you always will be. This melody will bring you right back home." - Linkin park, The messenger. Stay strong everyone!! You are always strong enough to get through whatever life throws your way, no matter how hard it may seem.
   
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
ThisWillDestroyYou's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Gender: Male
Location: USA

Posts: 1,050
Join Date: July 5th 2011

Re: Aliens? - March 24th 2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staypositive View Post
I shall approach this from a unique way:math and reason.
I prefer math, logic, and reason, but 2 of 3 I'll settle for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staypositive View Post
One in 50 humans believe to have been abducted by aliens some time in thier life. as of 2015, there were 7,000,000,000,000 people on earth. that means 140,000,000,000 people belive this, or 2% of the population. how the hell could 140 million people be wrong? This does not include the people who just saw them/believe in them but were not abducted. So becasue it is sensible, I believe in it.
This logic is absolutely terrible. If we take the total population of people that have existed, and sum their major ideas, you would believe all kinds of nonsense. Surely it's sensible to consider their viewpoint, but it is nonsensical to just adopt a viewpoint based on major opinion or statistics which are highly inaccurate in many cases. Statistics can be useful, but you can nearly extrapolate anything you want from them.

To show you how erroneous this logic is, just think of religion. There are over 2 billion Christians in the world, and approximately 1.57 billion Muslims. Expand this over the history of the world, and those numbers would multiply well over your 140 million people. So we can ask, is it POSSIBLE Christians or Muslims are correct? Surely it is possible, but this doesn't warrant it being true, sensible, reasonable, logical, nor do the statistics render either one true.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Staypositive View Post
and yes this is seriously my logic for everything, i figure out perectanges and numbers to decide something makes any sense.
A lot of truths, especially at quantum levels, do not make sense. They are completely counter-intuitive, yet entirely true. In fact, most of modern chemistry and physics evolved from ideas that seemed erroneous. When the ideas were first introduced, the majority of the scientific communities disregarded most of the chemistry and physics until it was demonstrated true. Thus, if you had sided with statistics, you would have determined most of modern physics and chemistry to be false, when in fact it's more probable. A more reliable approach is the scientific method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staypositive View Post
I spent tfrom three to five AM figuring out the difference in probablility or getting sepsis and getting hit by lightning, and then the difference in probability sinking on a ship and being arrested for a crime i did not commit. this was fun for me. therefore, i need a life.
Again, statistics, while a nice tool, can be highly erroneous. No serious mathematician, scientist, or engineer regards statistics as infallible. Rather, it's solely a helpful tool. Not an end all. So while I appreciate your admiration of mathematics, your reason and logic are highly fallible.
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran
*************
 
.:Bibliophile:.'s Avatar
 
Gender: Just me

Posts: 16,323
Blog Entries: 1722
Join Date: January 18th 2009

Re: Aliens? - April 2nd 2015, 03:33 AM

Jumping in on this a bit late but with how vast space is and all that has and will go without exploration I think its POSSIBLE for there to be aliens. I don't know how advanced they would be or any of that, I don't think about it that much. I just was watching some videos about space with my boyfriend and it was pretty eye opening and got me talking about this subject. There is always the possibility that they exist. However, until I am given proof I'll stay neutral on the subject....they could exist or they might not. It's hard to know for sure because we have no proof. But, to go out and say there is absolutely no chance of there being aliens? Eh, I am not comfortable with saying that.


|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
aliens

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright 1998-2018, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.