TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dan11 Offline
Not a n00b

Is is true?:( - April 21st 2015, 04:30 PM

Hi everyone. I am not proud of my past. I have done horrible things that affected others that I ashamed of. About a year and a half ago I became a Christian and changed for the better. I am now trying my best not to sin and am truely a new person in Christ. Last week I saw a quote that Martin Luther King said " He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really co-operating with it." This made me believe that I am still evil because of my past and that others who say I am forgiven are just as bad This feeling eats away at me and I sometimes think that Jesus hasn't forgiven me by faith and I have to do more to be forgiven. Am I misquoting this quote and wrong or is it true? Thank you all for this amazing website^^

Last edited by Dan11; April 21st 2015 at 06:09 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Is this true?:( - April 21st 2015, 09:15 PM

Hey there. I think you may be misreading this quote. I'm interpreting it more as bystanders who watch someone do wrong are guilty of not stopping it and those who don't stand up against the wrong things they see are cooperating with the wrong thing(s)by allowing it to continue to happen. Once you accept Christ and commit to living as a Christian, you are forgiven and become a new person in Christ. Forgiveness of your sins is a gift you have already accepted.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Dan11 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Is this true?:( - April 21st 2015, 09:23 PM

Thank you^^

(#4 (permalink)) Old
xxprincessxx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sammie

Re: Is this true - April 21st 2015, 11:59 PM

Hello Callum,

I think it's okay to ask questions about you faith but don't feel bad about where you are at in life. You say that you have accepted Christ and that you are now living a better life than before. That's really all the matters, the Christian God (among other religions) mostly speak of love as being their key point. God loves you and you are worthy, no matter what you've done or even what you will do. God is a God of love. You need to trust in that.

As for the quote, just because someone said it doesn't make it true. And quotes are always your own interpretation. Don't beat yourself up over a quote though. Just keep living the best life you can and I'm sure good things will come.

If you ever need or want to talk, send me a PM.

all i want is a place to call my own and
mend the hearts of everyone who feels alone,
woah,
you know to keep your hopes up high and your head down low.

<3

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Is is true?:( - April 22nd 2015, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan11 View Post
Hi everyone. I am not proud of my past. I have done horrible things that affected others that I ashamed of. About a year and a half ago I became a Christian and changed for the better. I am now trying my best not to sin and am truely a new person in Christ. Last week I saw a quote that Martin Luther King said " He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really co-operating with it." This made me believe that I am still evil because of my past and that others who say I am forgiven are just as bad This feeling eats away at me and I sometimes think that Jesus hasn't forgiven me by faith and I have to do more to be forgiven. Am I misquoting this quote and wrong or is it true? Thank you all for this amazing website^^
Hey Dan,

First of all, I am no longer a Christian, however, in the past -- and you can check with anyone within the religious forums, I was extremely religious. I was a devout Christian.

One of the reasons I left Christianity was because, despite evidence, I started following doctrines of people outside of the Bible. I began to realize that there were so many interpretations of the Bible. In fact, an infinite amount. That is, each individual is subject to their own interpretation of it.

In my opinion this does not mean that there isn't an objective truth to the Bible, there may be, but I failed to find it. So let me give you some advice. Instead of believing what Martin Luther says, why don't you read what Jesus said?

Don't forget, the Reformers, Catholics, and Protestants are responsible for murdering people because they didn't believe the way they did. They had a lot of hate in their heart. Including Martin Luther. If you actually read his works, he had a lot of hate.

The one thing I can tell you is that the Bible suggests this idea of sanctification. Whether it exists or not, I don't know, again it's solely an interpretation. Sanctification is this idea that once you are a Christian, you progressively become better. Again, I direct you to Philippians 3. The Apostle Paul said in that chapter that he had not yet been made complete. In other words, he believed at that time that he was not made perfect, but that he was heading that direction.

I think this idea agrees with becoming a new creation. Think of it this way. You became a Christian a year ago. In other words, you were "born" as a Christian 1 year ago. So we can think of this as you being an infant. A baby. So while you may be "born again" you are still immature. You can't expect to be 90 years old (mature) only 1 year after your birth.

But, don't just take my word at face value. The best I can recommend is reading the Bible for yourself. Don't start reading Martin Luther, and don't start reading John Calvin, and don't start reading John MacArthur, and whoever else. Just read the Bible. When you read Luther, all your getting is someone's interpretation, you're not getting the real deal.

Also, I don't think you should be ashamed of your past. If God forgave you and made you a new creation and you are truly white as snow, and if God doesn't hold it over your head, why should you? Paul murdered Christians. Yet he forgot his past and only looked forward.

edit:

Didn't see you were referencing MLK, I think the same still holds true. If the Bible is the Word of God, MLK is just a man just as guilty of sin as anyone else.

Last edited by ThisWillDestroyYou; April 23rd 2015 at 12:14 AM.

Closed Thread