TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

What do you think the field of medicine will make possible in the future - September 1st 2015, 02:57 AM

If you really think about , modern medicine isn't all that advanced. While there are some surgical procedures and medicines that can cure a few diseases, we still can't fix most things. We can't reverse baldness or wrinkles from aging, we can't cure paralysis, and we can't kill cancer cells very selectively. We can mend a broken bone and give antibiotics and insulin to those who need it. Sounds pretty primitive. Its like medicine today is where engineering was in the 1800s: we can hardly do anything at all. We now have a good mastery over nature when it comes to engineering and irrigation; we can move rivers, send probes to Pluto, and transit across the world in less than a day. But we don't really have any control as to what happens in our own bodies.

We can only really treat the symptoms of most chronic diseases- but can't do anything really to reverse their course or even prevent further damage. There are few diseases that used to be lifelong but now are now fixable.

Do you think that there will ever be a time where acts of biological engineering can actually provide us with complete control over the natural course of disease and aging? Where the actual aging of organs can be mostly reversed --extending the human lifespan and allowing people to stay and feel young for longer?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: What do you think the field of medicine will make possible in the future - September 1st 2015, 04:30 AM

There's no money in healthy people. As much as I wish people could live longer, healthier, happier lives where they feel younger and better, there's no money in it. I bet we definitely can do many of the things you mentioned, but if everyone's healthy, the drug companies would go out of business.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: What do you think the field of medicine will make possible in the future - September 1st 2015, 05:43 AM

I have predictions that terrify me. I think that eventually (a long ways away) humans will mostly opt to be cyborgs or androids, putting all their brain information into a chip and transferring it over to a robot body or replacing parts of their body with more efficient machinery. I view this as terrifying because we'll obviously lose our humanity if nobody wants to be a human anymore. However, food will be engineered biologically (this is before the robot thing), largely ending world hunger, which is good. But eventually, all forms of human suffering will probably be eliminated, which to me sounds counterintuitive (did I use that word right?) because nobody will know the true meaning of happiness. You can't know unhappiness without unhappiness.
The future in general terrifies me. It might be a long way off, but its not ridiculous to assume that with the advancements we keep making in medicine, people in our generation could easily live to be 150 years old. I would prefer to live as if my life could be gone at any moment.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: What do you think the field of medicine will make possible in the future - September 2nd 2015, 03:05 AM

Eventually, I believe people will choose to die, rather than simply die (from natural causes). This is mostly because of medical advancements and the development of AI. AI will likely lead the way to a complete overhaul of the medical field. That is, AI can essentially program itself, and continually learn. This will eventually reach a process where AI will be able to solve aging, and likely death.

Humans are essentially AI. Biologically and neurologically, we aren't much different. Something goes wrong, we can replace it. The idea that there isn't medicine in healthy people, to my mind, is just wrong. You have to pay to be healthy. This also spawns the idea that people in medicine don't have friends, family, and a desire to live longer. It's kind of a moot point, and a fallacious idea. Similarly I can say what's the point of making a profit, if you aren't around to keep it? It's a fallacious argument. They want to live longer, too. They have family members and friends they want to keep around. The medical industry isn't amoral.

I think living longer lives is beneficial for the planet as a whole. It limits our population and carbon footprint. It allows for society to remain healthy, and be more productive for longer years. Then, when were tired of it, we can pull the plug on ourselves and give a new generation of people a chance.

I have so many aspirations. Apart from space exploration, this would be a field I'd love to get into. Unfortunately, as of now, I have limited time, and as such I've chosen to pursue space exploration. To my mind, space exploration and the medical industry control the future of our species. I'm excited to live in this time, but all the same, I think I was born a generation too early. Oh, well.

It all seems a little sci-fi, but the technology is our there. It's just a matter of perfecting it.

Also, as the aforementioned poster, Robert, stated we will become AI. He's actually not the only to predict this. Many scientists suggests this will happen around 2040.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

Closed Thread