TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
PeaceSoundsNice Offline
I like trains
Average Joe

Name: Dawn

What kind of church should I go to? - September 2nd 2015, 04:58 AM

I was raised Wesleyan, but they don't support gay marriage which is important to me. Are there any denominations that are similar to Wesleyan but do support gay marriage?

"When I'm in a pinch, you can save me, and when you're in a pinch, I'll be there for you. Friends."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: What kind of church should I go to? - September 2nd 2015, 09:32 PM

I believe I read it on CNN, but I did read something about the Pope saying the Catholic Church will be making supposedly "scandalous changes", which could hint that they might accept same-sex marriage. I think its more likely they allow women to become clergy and they just change their stance on how they view gay marriage, which sounds like something they should've figured out before this millennium, but hey, I'll take anything.
Is Catholicism close to Wesleyan? I don't know. I just felt like throwing in my two cents. But I've always liked and appreciated what Catholicisms done for me.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lilyofthewest Offline
Average Joe

Name: Lily

Re: What kind of church should I go to? - September 2nd 2015, 10:04 PM

I'd imagine the closest denominations to the Wesleyan Church in terms of polity would be Methodist churches, but sadly most Methodist denominations do not endorse marriage equality. If you're just looking for any denomination that is LGBT-friendly and inclusive, I know some of the more notable LGBT-affirming denominations would include the United Church of Christ, the United Church of Canada, the Metropolitan Community Church and the US Episcopal Church. Some non-denominational churches are very open-minded too.

Also, while it's not a Christian denomination, I'd look into Unitarian Universalism as it's about the most inclusive religion out there. It has its roots in more liberal forms of Christianity, but branched away and now includes people from all kinds of religious and spiritual backgrounds. I really like Unitarian Universalism because it allows its members so much more freedom to decide what works best for them, spiritually and morally. There's no set dogma or "you're going to hell" sort-of thinking. It's such a shame there isn't a UU denomination in my area.

One last hint: GayChurch.org is a fantastic resource for this purpose.

"Looking at the stars; it's comforting to think how small we are in comparison."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: What kind of church should I go to? - September 2nd 2015, 10:33 PM

I honestly think this is just going to depend on the church and not necessarily the denomination. There is one church in my area that is open to LGBT people and they are a methodist church. The only reason I found out about this church was because I did a lot of research on the topic and I happened to get really involved in the LGBT community and had a discussion about churches with a few people.

There are churches that are more open to LGBT community. For example, there is a church in my area that hired an openly gay pastor. They have an openly gay man on their board. So, I would automatically assume they are more open to the LGBT community. I think if you want to find a church that is open to the LGBT community you should do a google search of churches in your area and send a message to them asking them if they are open to the LGBT community. I did this at one point in time when I was looking for a church and I was able to find one that was open to them. I don't know how open they were because I never went but the pastor emailed be back and said they were open to this.

It might take a little extra work but it might be worth it so you can find a church that you feel comfortable in.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread