TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
On hiatus
Average Joe

Am I the only one who thinks this? - November 20th 2015, 05:50 PM

So...I consider myself a Christian. I believe in God and the afterlife, and I do try to follow the Bible's teachings, but I do not necessarily believe in everything the Bible says, mostly due to the fact that it has been re-written and translated for centuries and rules that conflict with my own opinion. Does this mean I cannot be Christian because I support the LGBT+ community (which I am technically part of because I am asexual) and also believe in science and evolution (which I believe was created by God)?

If I could get some people's opinions (mainly Christian views of course but I would love to hear from people of other religions/non-religions) because I'm feeling really insecure right now about my beliefs. I chose Christianity because it is supposed to be about love and forgiveness through a relationship with God, but the majority of people who call themselves 'Christians' that I have met appear to me as judgemental hypocrites who look down on me because I have some different opinions. I have nobody to relate to...

On hiatus

(#2 (permalink)) Old
ninasju Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Nina

Re: Am I the only one who thinks this? - November 20th 2015, 06:59 PM

Hi, I'm not Christian but I have experience with the subject, and first of all I just have to say you're perspective on Christianity is the most beautiful thing I've read today, don't ever doubt you're a good christian.
I completely agree with you about the bible, nowhere does it say what is metaphorical and what's actually happened, who written what and when or even what language it's been translated from.
The truth is, the bible has more to say about love, faith, respect & kindness than sex, gender and/or how this factors into being a good person.
As for science, I find it pretty weird why religion and science supposedly are opposites.
In the bible it says that god created earth in 7 days. It also says, when Jesus returns to heaven that he'll be back soon and something about how time doesn't pass as quickly in heaven (so whose to say that god didn't create the Big Bang???)
Dinasours, evolution and DNA could just as well be what the bible is talking about, we can't prove what actually happened or who witnessed it.
As someone who was raised Christian I can honestly say that there's a lot in the bible that makes more than sense, and helped me.
Faith is about YOU'RE relationship with god, and no one can tell you what about that is right or wrong

I'd also like to share something that really helped me with my beliefs, when I started doubting and didn't know where to turn. A band called OC Supertones (Christiana ska), has songs about most perspectives on Christianity there is
The songs that's helped me most (and still do) are
- grace flood
- in between
- jury duty
- wilderness
- old friend
- lift me up
(Etc etc etc)
I really hope this helped, best of luck to you!

"Honey don't stop trying & you'll get what you deserve"
- Axl Rose

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Am I the only one who thinks this? - November 20th 2015, 08:46 PM

Hey Sarah, it's odd to see you post this as it is the consensus that in the UK most people unite the Bible and science, unlike here in the US -- at least to my understanding. Anyways, to address your question, you are not a lone. In fact, surveys show that most Christians do not take the Bible literally, that is, it is not meant to be a science book. It is supposed to be a book about Christ.

This isn't even a newer idea. Many prevalent theologians, and Christian philosophers recognized this. The Early Church recognized this, Martin Luther said that if anyone took Revelation's literally that they were ignorant, C.S. Lewis accepted evolution. By and large I'd say given our century, you are part of the majority in Christianity. The views you're rejecting are fundamentalists, which most Christians aren't.

The way I started viewing the Bible before deconverted was that it was a collection of writings. That is, not that they were infallible, but say like hey, here's the Gospel of John. It's written by one of Jesus's disciples, and this is how he viewed the events. They're a collection of writings, that's it. Even if they were infallible, you have to also account for interpretation. Think of it, there are countless denominations, and within those denominations there are countless views on specific passages and what they mean. So even if we had an INFALLIBLE book, you'd have to have an INFALLIBLE interpretation, and an INFALLIBLE understanding to be able to comprehend it.

Here's a list of Churches that you might be able to identify with:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blessi...stian_churches
also try here
http://www.pcnbritain.org.uk/locations

My 2 cents is, just follow God the best you know how. Think of all the people who were ridiculed in the Bible, or think of the Pharisees. The Pharisees thought Jesus was demon possessed, and yet they were super religious and people thought they held the keys to the Bible. Just follow God, and do your best to love those who disagree with you.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Online
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Am I the only one who thinks this? - November 20th 2015, 09:27 PM

You can relate to me, and you are not the only person who believes this. I consider myself a Christian, but I don't agree with a lot of stuff in the Bible either (though I'm reading my way through it), I believe in God, I care about people, and I do my best not to judge others and that's good enough for me. People can believe whatever they want really (short of harming people), but when they claim to be Christians and then use it as an excuse to judge, hate, discriminate, and deny rights, I can't stand it.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#5 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Am I the only one who thinks this? - November 21st 2015, 12:48 AM

Yeah, you basically sound like me. Can't stand the zealotry of people who think they're "true" Christians (like my cousin) who sit on their ass and do nothing except quote the Bible all day, and say "this is why evolution doesn't exist".
The Bible contradicts itself all over the place, but the central message is to basically love everybody- so why should you follow that one verse from that one book that says one thing when another verse says the total opposite? The Bible isn't the best thing to nitpick; its better taken as a whole.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
On hiatus
Average Joe

Re: Am I the only one who thinks this? - November 21st 2015, 02:15 PM

Thanks for all the responses, I really appreciate it! (I would reply individually but I'm quite tired so my responses might not make sense) Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only person who has these opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Rye View Post
it's odd to see you post this as it is the consensus that in the UK most people unite the Bible and science, unlike here in the US
It's not so much in the UK but people I have spoken to on other forum sites with Christians that call themselves 'Creationists' and believe that everything in the Bible is fact rather than figurative. According to some of these people, you cannot be both religious and support the theory of evolution, but I honestly don't know why you can't.

On hiatus

(#7 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Am I the only one who thinks this? - November 21st 2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Shady View Post
Thanks for all the responses, I really appreciate it! (I would reply individually but I'm quite tired so my responses might not make sense) Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only person who has these opinions.

It's not so much in the UK but people I have spoken to on other forum sites with Christians that call themselves 'Creationists' and believe that everything in the Bible is fact rather than figurative. According to some of these people, you cannot be both religious and support the theory of evolution, but I honestly don't know why you can't.
I know Creationists. I used to be a Young Earth Creationist myself, until I realized that they were entirely hypocritical and the primary leaders in the group of people I knew were deliberately lying about evolution or simply ill-informed. That is, EVERYTHING I was told about evolution was growing up was flat-out wrong. It's really hard to see whether or not the people spreading these views (Ken Ham) really believe them, or are just trying to make a profit from it. Because the stuff they say is contrary to basic biology that one learns freshman year in college. Ironically, most of the people that are Creationist tend to like theologians that never took a literal interpretation of the Bible. In fact, the view that Genesis and Revelation are supposed to be taken literal, while it has been around for awhile, is a relatively new mainstream view.

The only reason they have this is likely because they've been indoctrinated into this view, as I was. IMHO, I would just associate with people who only care whether or not you love Jesus. Not whether or not you accept or don't accept evolution. The entire point of the Bible is to be about Jesus. Genesis was believed to be the "Gospel" for God's chosen people prior to Christ. It foreshadowed Christ. For example, compare John 1, and Genesis 1. You'll see what I mean. Genesis is clearly about Christ, not the Creation.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

Closed Thread