TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xcloudymindx Offline
Ride,Life,Style.
Not a n00b

Name: My Name is Chloe

Question How to understand Christianity as a non-christian? - March 4th 2016, 10:40 PM

It's complex for me to ask this, but makes sense in my head (I do not wish to offend anyone here)

I am seeing a guy who is Christian, I am non-christian... though I wouldn't say I'm atheist even though I follow no religion. I just don't know what I believe.

My view is, (towards their religion) it's their belief & I'm open minded by it. I can sit and listen to a religious person, and hear them talk about their beliefs & I personally have no problem with that. In many cases, I am often intrigued, I just find it quite a beautiful way, like seen as though I follow no belief - when i hear out someone that does, I am often taken aback and I just admire how they see things, It's how I've always been, I just never have had confidence to explore or be having someone expand further;

Having said where do you start? I don't just ask this simply because 'I'm seeing a guy' (even if I was) It's down to my opinion is that it's important to support one's belief and respect their religion.

I just personally don't like to give the believer the impression 'I'm not interested' and I don't like to ignore something that is so important to them.

My ex was a catholic (he didn't practice much) but Easter, Christmas, etc were all important to him, In which I supported and attended Church with him, simply because I loved him back then, and It's my way of accepting, by gaining understanding and taking into consideration that religion is a huge priority.

What I'm trying to get at, is... I've always found Christianity the hardest to understand, But I'm easily curious, I like laying in the dark and talking about these things with my other significant, It's like it deepens me to them, (not sure if that's good or a bad thing) But I strive off what they say and believe it often inspires me.

Like I want to know more on the subject, and figure the background and his family beliefs - I think that important - I know his parents, especially his mum is strong believer - He doesn't practice so much, or view it as strongly but that doesn't lesson my own curiosity towards it.

Hopefully someone can help me out here? I'd kind of just like a starting point, (I may have studied parts at school) but I dropped out early and missed 2 years, so it's muddled up and vague.

I'm not suggesting in order to see this guy I must suddenly change all my aspects on what I believe (although as stated I'm not entirely sure) and know absolutely everything: I want to know the basic? & ways that can help me expand on the little knowledge I have, I just want to be able ask questions (I know i can just ask a question) but I think it would benefit my understanding if I explored some self understanding and if I'm particularly unsure or stuck at a point, I can always ask him.

I hope i make sense here! & I hope I've not offended, you may think It's strange of me, but when it comes to these things with guys, especially when developing feeling's I am drawn to the religion, and admire the person they are/can be through belief.

Thank you for reading such length! :-) xx

(#2 (permalink)) Old
ICanSpellThornwell
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Don Warfield

Re: How to understand Christianity as a non-christian? - March 9th 2016, 09:32 PM

There is a fantastic book written by Ravi Zacharias titled, "Jesus among other Gods". This will give you a good lead into the Christian view of why we say Jesus is the only way.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: How to understand Christianity as a non-christian? - March 9th 2016, 10:37 PM

I recently became more devout in my own religious beliefs. I consider myself a non-denominational Christian and, as someone who was raised as a non-practicing Catholic, I can understand why you're confused. It's grounded in the idea of sin and forgiveness. Here's the basics

God created (and planed) everything including people and he created them perfectly in his image, but with free will
He created Adam and Eve and placed them in the perfect world of the Garden of Eden. Sin entered the world (and all people) when Eve sinned because she ate an apple from the tree of knowledge after God told them that was the only thing they weren't supposed to do.

Humans are now innately sinful because we descended from Adam and Eve, and that sin separates us from God and the punishment for that sin is going to hell.

But, God loves us and doesn't want us to go to hell or to be separated from Him, so he sent his son Jesus (who is also a part of himself and therefore sinless that's where the trinity comes in), to die on the cross as payment for our sins. If you accept Christ, you are forgiven of your sins, free to have a relationship with God, and will go to Heaven, but you have to choose to accept Christ, follow his teachings (The Bible), and do your best to avoid sinning (which everyone still does). He won't force a relationship with anyone who doesn't want it, but you'll suffer the consequences of your sin because it wasn't forgiven.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: How to understand Christianity as a non-christian? - March 10th 2016, 07:12 PM

Here is my opinion from someone who used to be a Christian, but doesn't identify as such anymore:

Talk to him.

You'll quickly find out that among Christians there are thousands if not infinitely (within the bounds of how many Christians there are in the world) differing opinions on every topic in the Bible. One Christian may believe in a 6,000 year Earth. Another Christian might believe in an old Earth, yet reject evolution. Another might accept evolution and an old Earth, so on and so forth but with every topic.

Thus, when it really comes to lumping a specific belief together among people, its very difficult because every individual has their own beliefs. Therefore, it's best just to ask the person you're interested in and talk with them about THEIR beliefs regarding Christianity.

This is why you have countless denominations, and the denomination of non. This is why you have the Westboros, and social justice Christians. This is why you have Christians calling other Christians non-Christians (because they don't identify with their specific set of beliefs) It's all an opinion of interpretation or lack-thereof. You can read countless books on Christianity, but you're not going to find a definite answer. It's one of the things that drew me away from Christianity towards science and empiric evidence -- it is more sure fire, much less is left to opinion. That is, you let evidence guide your answers. But beliefs are guiding by individuals, not a guideline or evidence, and as beliefs they will vary.
Good luck.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

Closed Thread