TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Are we living in a (video game) simulation? - June 7th 2016, 05:24 PM

Hey everyone,

Perhaps you've seen recent articles, or maybe you've heard of this theory before -- but I think now that Elon Musk (SpaceX, Tesla) brought it up, it'll likely work its way into popular science and perhaps into theoretical physics (some physicist actually believe it is possible to prove this idea). In fact, Musk is so much of a believer in this hypothesis that he says the odds of us NOT being in a simulation are one in billions. I.E. The odds of us living in a simulation are billions:1.

video source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KK_kzrJPS8
news source: http://www.cnet.com/news/elon-musk-s...-a-video-game/

If you've not heard of this, wikipedia provides a good intro:
Simulated reality is the hypothesis that reality could be simulated—for example by computer simulation—to a degree indistinguishable from "true" reality. It could contain conscious minds which may or may not be fully aware that they are living inside a simulation.

This is quite different from the current, technologically achievable concept of virtual reality. Virtual reality is easily distinguished from the experience of actuality; participants are never in doubt about the nature of what they experience. Simulated reality, by contrast, would be hard or impossible to separate from "true" reality.

There has been much debate over this topic, ranging from philosophical discourse to practical applications in computing.
source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulated_reality (arguments and such for the idea can be found there, I suggest reading it, it's really interesting)
What do you all think?

I've been asked this question before, and I never really gave it any credence. The question itself seems more philosophical along the lines of, "Does god/gods/godess/godesses exist?" So, for me, I won't rule it out until it has definitely been disproved by science, however, such a question may explain the big bang as essentially being a 'reboot' of our simulation. I think the idea itself is very interesting and very comforting. If we fail to save this world, they can just 'reboot' us.

The other thing I wonder is if this hypothesis is true. Is it because we're solely for entertainment, like, are we an advanced version of the Sims? Or is there some disaster headed their way that they may have created several simulations in order to see if the simulations can solve the problem. e.g. climate change.

True or not, it's an interesting speculation. One which I haven't given much thought to before.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Skyline Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Skye

Re: Are we living in a (video game) simulation? - June 8th 2016, 08:28 AM

Hey there, I find that idea extremely interesting and believable, and although I wouldn't say that I firmly believe we live in some sort of simulation, I am open to the idea. I know that last year for about two months I was super convinced that that was the case, that we were in this "bubble" of sorts, that there was some higher power controlling us in some way, etc. I remember some conversations I had with my dad about it, and looking back on it, I find it amazing that I could believe in that so deeply... it almost seems like I was disconnected from everyone else's existence, I genuinely believed in this so strongly (and I hadn't read anything about it in particular, I had just given the idea so much thought that I brainwashed myself, I guess), I remember feeling like I was dissociating from reality a lot of the time.
So yeah, now I guess I'm more balanced in terms of what I believe in when it comes to our existence and the universe... I'm generally open to most ideas.

"You shall love your crooked neighbour / with your crooked heart."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Are we living in a (video game) simulation? - June 10th 2016, 08:03 PM

I don't believe in mind-fuckery like that. Sorry.

But it's certainly something to think about! Technically, you can bring religion and God into it. God controls us, whatever happens to us is in God's hands. So, by logic, that could work to an extent. But then what if you don't believe in God? What if there is a higher being we answer to and that control our impulses and actions? Is that relevant to this theory?

But yeah, I like making questions but not believing in the mind-effery.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Are we living in a (video game) simulation? - June 11th 2016, 12:31 AM

Right? That's how I feel about it too. It'll be interesting if physics can actually disprove it or find evidence for it.

- Carl Sagan

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BayernManiac3 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Are we living in a (video game) simulation? - June 11th 2016, 07:09 AM

I saw in a few places that this theory could just be debunked with numbers. I mean, numbers are infinite and keep on going and going and going. You couldn't fit infinity into a simulation. However, this doesent really "prove" anything because if someone is advanced enough to create something as complex as this world I doubt they would be subject to our laws. But it is interesting.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Are we living in a (video game) simulation? - June 11th 2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpplease2000 View Post
I saw in a few places that this theory could just be debunked with numbers. I mean, numbers are infinite and keep on going and going and going. You couldn't fit infinity into a simulation. However, this doesent really "prove" anything because if someone is advanced enough to create something as complex as this world I doubt they would be subject to our laws. But it is interesting.
This sounds like a similar argument for god. 'God must exist since we know infinity exists, thus there must be something infinite, which must be god.' The argument is full of loopholes. Let alone infinity is a concept, it's not a number. I.E. if our world is a simulation, the simulation doesn't have an infinite amount of 'things' in it. That is, just because we can conceptualize something doesn't mean it physically exists.

Let me reiterate that I'm not saying infinity doesn't exist, simply that an infinite amount of things don't exist. At some point, since our universe is measurable, there will be some reached 'quota' of things. Despite this, lets put this into perspective. Think of how quickly memory has developed. We went from floppies, to USB, to SD, to microsd. Floppies carried 1.4 MB. The first USB came out in 2004, it carried roughly 5 times the data. Now we have MICRO SD cards which hold 512 GB of data. 512000 times the amount of memory in something 1/8th the size. Imagine the capacity in the future. Ironically, it could potentially be infinite.

- Carl Sagan

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: Are we living in a (video game) simulation? - June 12th 2016, 12:04 AM

I really can't speak to the truth or plausibility of the idea of us living in a simulation, but if it's true, then I'd certainly feel better about the raccoon I hit with my car a couple years ago.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
Closed Thread