TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Just a friend
Welcome me, I'm new!

Atheism - September 17th 2016, 06:46 PM

Hey!

I am an atheist, but I have NOTHING against any religion and I respect everybody, regardless of their race, religion etc.

I don't want other people thinking I'm a bad person, just because I am an atheist. I try to be polite, respectful and generally a good person.

That being said, I find people who try (and keep trying) to convince me that God is real really annoying. I don't go around telling people that they shouldn't believe in God and I don't appreciate others doing that to me.

What is your oppinion about this?

Love,
IWannaBeACupcake

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Atheism - September 17th 2016, 07:42 PM

Hey there and welcome

I consider myself a non-denominational Christian and I'm pretty much like you. I think that there are extremists and people who push their beliefs and opinions on you in every religion and on every subject. I think most people think like us and don't really care as long as you don't push it on them. It's perfectly fine to disagree, it's okay to educate someone on your belief or give your opinion on something, it's not okay to decide that someone who disagrees with you is "wrong" or that they MUST agree for you to be okay.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Atheism - September 18th 2016, 01:57 AM

I agree. I have met many people who are respectful of the fact that I am Atheist and I am also respectful of them. Personally if you are religious or not it's cool. I won't push my feelings on you and you do the same for me. That being said I'm open to polite discussion to learn about other people's religions or the reasons they feel certain ways. It's good to know.

I actually had that discussion withy Christian friend the other day because she had a professor who is Jewish and is making it seem like it is super wrong to be Christian etc. My friend didn't understand why she was speaking like that and was frustrated because she finds religion one of those things where she doesn't care what you are as long as you don't push it down someone's throat or shame them. She also likes to learn about other religions.

And that's how it should be. believe what you want and I will believe what I want and we can live happily ever after together.

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Elision Offline
Formerly Pan221
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Atheism - September 18th 2016, 07:32 AM

I also agree. I don't really tell people unless they expressly ask really, as I don't think it should be a major thing people that talk about and judge you for. I would never try to force atheism on anyone, I think I'm very embracing of other religions, mainly because I find them really interesting. Two of my friends are Sikh, and sometimes we have chats about their religion, which they don't really believe although it's a big part of their lives, and it was great to learn about it from people who are my age and practise that religion.

I don't think people should ever force their religious opinions on anyone. It's always a personal point of view, and if everyone just accepted that everyone has a different opinion and belief, then we might be able to get along better

I am inimitable, I am an original

If you cannot reach me to fly, teach me to sing

(#5 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Re: Atheism - September 18th 2016, 02:13 PM

Honestly, i don't tell people unless they ask or the topic comes up.
When they try and push it down my throat, i normally just tell them that I have my beliefs and they can have theirs. If it comes to it, I just tell them to back off. In some instances when i've totally lost my cool, i've used stuff i know scientifically true to mess up their arguments, but i won't recommend that because its an anger response, that i'm not proud of and am working on fixing.
Also, the simplest thing, is to nod along and then do what you want

PM me if you ever wanna talk. Send a message my way.
And remember, you matter. You're awesome. You're beautiful. Stay strong, the world will get better.

May The Force be With You.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Atheism - September 18th 2016, 03:12 PM

I had a lot to write and my post got deleted midway. Pure accident. (Unless God is trying to stop me from posting this)
You see, I get paranoid like God is after me. I was brought up really strict Jewish and even though my father isn't religious, he was brought up catholic and definitely raised me and my sisters in that rigid strict environment. I'm starting to notice that his parenting style has a lot to do with his religious upbringing and how gender expectations and things turn out.
But anyway, I won't get into how I grew up but feel free to PM me because I think it kinda relates but I'm scared to retype it.
What annoys me most is that a lot of the time people "tolerate" other religions but there's still a stigma towards having no religion or being atheist. When I was in girl scouts, the leader was VERY against atheism. We were in a car once and there was an accident in front of us and she turned to the kids in the back and said "you know why there's an accident? Look at the sticker on the car. It says 'proud atheist' you see what happens when you don't believe in God?" That was a horrible message to give to children! Lucky for me, I was 16 and very wise so I didn't fall into that trap!
There were other times that I explained to my friends that I was raised Jewish because that's my mother's side but my father is Catholic Christian and me, I'm not really sure. They would take a breath of relief like "oh at least you're something" like what?! Even one person told me she doesn't mind other religions as long as you have a religion and by religion she meant the 3 popular monotheistic religions. It sucks that she thinks like that.
I've had been given talks about christianity. They are like missionaries or something and go around my college (a public college, BTW) and didn't rest when I explained that IF I'm going to be religious it is gonna be some blend of Judaism and pagamism. That went kinda badly. There was one time I had a memorable discussion. It was for about 2 hours and was interesting and flowed well without that weird tension.
I've had moments of Jews telling me I'm born Jewish therefore I'm always Jewish. I feel so confined when I hear that. And I admit it haunts me. It really does. And I commend you for sticking to your beliefs on atheism despite the stigma all around. I think that's something I value rather than a person who practices a religion out of fear and such like. There's a lot of fear and coersion with religion and while religion can benefit some people and bring people together. It has hurt people too and separated families. I would say I have mixed emotions about religion. It is about doing what's right for you and what you belief/don't believe. You have that right and you're not bad for that AT ALL

(#7 (permalink)) Old
GingerPop Offline
A kid living in a adult world.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Bethany

Re: Atheism - September 20th 2016, 08:54 PM

Hey there. I am Catholic, but honestly I haven't been to a Mass for years. To me that doesn't make me a good person or not. Believe what you feel is right and keep living a good life because in the end that is what matters the most.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Atheism - September 21st 2016, 07:56 PM

Coming from a Christian family, and now nonreligious and nonspiritual (though I don't know I'd classify myself as an atheist -- maybe agnostic), I am used to this. It doesn't bother me that much, solely because I can be empathetic towards their situation. Put this into perspective: If you believed that anyone who didn't believe in your god was going to be tormented day and night forever and ever, if people sinned and rejected to believe in god, wouldn't you WANT people to believe in your god so that they DON'T go to such a place and that they DO go to a place with endless joy along with you, where there is no more pain, etc.?

It's something to think about. If you ACTUALLY believe that, I think it'd be your sole purpose to 'witness' to people.

The one thing I find annoying is when religious beliefs get in the way of scientific theories that are well established (i.e. old earth, evolution, and climate change). That bothers me because people's beliefs cause harm. It's essentially, dare I say this, 1st world terrorism in that people who deny climate change are CAUSING another mass extinction to occur (climate change is linked to EVERY SINGLE mass extinction event on Earth). And in a sense, this is terrorism. I don't mean this to offend anyone, but think about it. When all established data and evidence points to human induced climate change (AND THERE IS NO SPECULATION ABOUT THIS, IT'S A FACT, despite what some political ideologies would have you believe), we have an obligation to change.

As Carl Sagan said, "In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. It is up to us."

By all means, share your beliefs, not through force, but through discussion. And by all means, hold onto your beliefs, so long as it doesn't harm the rest of humanity. But also, recognize your beliefs for what they are: beliefs.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#9 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Atheism - September 24th 2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Rye View Post
Coming from a Christian family, and now nonreligious and nonspiritual (though I don't know I'd classify myself as an atheist -- maybe agnostic), I am used to this. It doesn't bother me that much, solely because I can be empathetic towards their situation. Put this into perspective: If you believed that anyone who didn't believe in your god was going to be tormented day and night forever and ever, if people sinned and rejected to believe in god, wouldn't you WANT people to believe in your god so that they DON'T go to such a place and that they DO go to a place with endless joy along with you, where there is no more pain, etc.?

It's something to think about. If you ACTUALLY believe that, I think it'd be your sole purpose to 'witness' to people.

The one thing I find annoying is when religious beliefs get in the way of scientific theories that are well established (i.e. old earth, evolution, and climate change). That bothers me because people's beliefs cause harm. It's essentially, dare I say this, 1st world terrorism in that people who deny climate change are CAUSING another mass extinction to occur (climate change is linked to EVERY SINGLE mass extinction event on Earth). And in a sense, this is terrorism. I don't mean this to offend anyone, but think about it. When all established data and evidence points to human induced climate change (AND THERE IS NO SPECULATION ABOUT THIS, IT'S A FACT, despite what some political ideologies would have you believe), we have an obligation to change.

As Carl Sagan said, "In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. It is up to us."

By all means, share your beliefs, not through force, but through discussion. And by all means, hold onto your beliefs, so long as it doesn't harm the rest of humanity. But also, recognize your beliefs for what they are: beliefs.
This is a really good post.

I don't classify myself as christian. I classify myself as spiritual, sometimes. I believe in there being a God of some kind but I don't believe he has much influence on our life which is why there are evil people out there and why bad things happen to people. But, I get really angry when my dad tries to talk to me about God and tries to tell me reasons why there is one.

"You survived your depressive episodes/self harm/suicides"
"You found your boyfriend"

But, I mean, as someone who grew up in a church and it was ingrained in me that if you didn't believe in God you went to hell; I still get nervous about that in regards to my boyfriend who is Agnostic. So, if I still believed in all that I might believe it was my duty to bring people over to my God because I would believe I was saving them.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I still get annoyed and left a church because of their views on the LGBT community and also because of the fact that they were the type of church that went around telling non-christians that they were going to hell.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread