TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

How did you choose? - March 5th 2018, 07:32 PM

This might seem a bit odd, and I'm not actually after advice, but I like hearing other people's stories so...

How did you choose, or get into, your current religion?

I like doing online courses, and one that I took a whim, was about Humanism. The only time I had ever heard of the word was in the term 'Humanistic counsellor' and I didn't understand what it meant. Anyway, I was going through the course and found that I agreed with some of their beliefs.

I've never really had a religion as such. We used to go to Church and in school we learned about Christianity, but I never identified as one. To be honest, I'm not sure I could ever commit to a religion or way of life because I find them all interesting and couldn't decide...so my question to you is, how did you choose?

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
TraitorBaby Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jo

Re: How did you choose? - March 5th 2018, 11:23 PM

I don't think it's something you choose, it's more like something that comes to you, and it feels right....a state of mind I guess? I'm having trouble trying to find the right words for it right now, but it's not something that you can choose from a selection, like a job or favorite color. There's so many emotional, spiritual, and philosophical nuances to each religion, so it goes on a deeper level than just picking something out of a hat.
I guess I say this because I am a Christian. Catholic, actually, and I was raised that way. But in the end when I really thought about, and tried to see every aspect and angle of it (which you really can't, just because of the sheer amounts of tradition and teachings, and the fact that it's completely faith based and there's no way of truly knowing,) I found that it made sense to me, and it also felt right. I...trusted it, I guess? Still trying to find the right words.
Anyway, I think it comes down to how you feel about it, how you want to associate with it, and overall fate/ luck, and never really knowing what is true and what could happen in the future.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: How did you choose? - March 6th 2018, 03:21 AM

Both sides of my family are Catholic and growing up, we went to church whenever we could.

I've decided to remain a Catholic and I still go to church as often as I can.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Re: How did you choose? - March 6th 2018, 07:49 AM

Hey,
So I was borderline agnostic when I turned atheist. I didn't find the religion I was raised with worked for me (PM me for details), and questioned the existence of a god. Then certain events happened in my life (again PM for details), and then I turned atheist.
Really it was a question of thinking about whether religion made sense to me.

PM me if you ever wanna talk. Send a message my way.
And remember, you matter. You're awesome. You're beautiful. Stay strong, the world will get better.

May The Force be With You.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: How did you choose? - March 6th 2018, 08:56 AM

I didn't really choose to be an athiest, but rather that I gradually lost the faith which was chosen for me. I was raised Catholic and went to a Catholic school up until I was eleven. However, my faith had been dwindling down starting from when I was seven or eight. Up until the past year or so I had questioned whether there could be a God and identified as being agnostic, but then some things happened. After that I ended up coming to the realization that, without any doubt, a God has never existed.

ďThere is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.Ē ó Nikita Gill

Last edited by arepo; March 6th 2018 at 09:51 AM. Reason: I'm not great at this English thing.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: How did you choose? - March 6th 2018, 10:09 PM

You all make interesting points! I guess I'm so used to taking my time with decisions and doing lots of research, that I tend to forget about things like trusting what you believe or questioning beliefs, especially when things happen in life that change how you see the world. Thank you guys!

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: How did you choose? - March 6th 2018, 10:55 PM

When my whole grad school nightmare happened and my life basically fell apart I started questioning because nothing will make you question more than everything falling to pieces. I was baptized Catholic, but my parents hated being raised in the faith, so they didn't raise me as anything. I always somehow believed in something that I called God, so Christianity was kind of the natural fit.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: How did you choose? - March 7th 2018, 05:53 AM

I was raised in religion and I struggled with it for many years due to certain events. Even though I stopped going to Church, I still believed in some of the things I was taught but I struggled with believing in God. However, over the last few years I have begun going back to Church and I now volunteer there at least once a week. I found that finding my religion again helped me to heal and become a better person. By choosing to embrace it, was my way of healing and reclaiming what is mine and I was trusting myself and my beliefs. I know that I made the right decision for myself and I think that it’s important to listen to your instincts and trust your beliefs when it comes to deciding on what to believe.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: How did you choose? - March 8th 2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celyn View Post
This might seem a bit odd, and I'm not actually after advice, but I like hearing other people's stories so...

How did you choose, or get into, your current religion?

I like doing online courses, and one that I took a whim, was about Humanism. The only time I had ever heard of the word was in the term 'Humanistic counsellor' and I didn't understand what it meant. Anyway, I was going through the course and found that I agreed with some of their beliefs.

I've never really had a religion as such. We used to go to Church and in school we learned about Christianity, but I never identified as one. To be honest, I'm not sure I could ever commit to a religion or way of life because I find them all interesting and couldn't decide...so my question to you is, how did you choose?
I was raised in a fundamentalist (Baptist) Christian home. Growing up, I didn't really believe, but as a grew older I became very involved in the church and started to believe until becoming a fundamentalist myself. Eventually, I got into Christian apologetics but realized that I was ignorant in not at least researching the other side. Over time, I began to see that an atheistic worldview made sense based on evidence and logic. Hence where I am today.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#10 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: How did you choose? - March 9th 2018, 04:33 AM

I used to be a pretty big christian. I used to believe that God had a plan for all of us etc.

Than, I started hearing people say things like "It was God's plan" when something bad happened.

That didn't sit right so I started questioning.

I also started hearing "Our life would be so much worse without God" which used to upset me because why would God choose to make my life good while making someone else...people I care about even ... suffer immensely.

So, I just started to realize that if there is a God he doesn't really care about us in any form. He does not have a plan for us. He created us...maybe because he thought it would be fun or maybe because he could...then he just left us to our own devices.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
A glitch in the system.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: How did you choose? - March 9th 2018, 08:49 AM

I was raised nominally Christian - my mother was technically Catholic, my father Anglican, but neither were really practicing. I went to Catholic school, but my family never really went to church aside from the odd big event like Christmas or Easter. I was baptised, though, and did my first communion and confirmation (although my school was very strange in that we did first communion and confirmation at the same time - when we were all so young that we didn't even really understand what it was we were confirming; I changed schools a year or so after that, and at my new school confirmation was done much later on, which made a lot more sense to me). I went through phases of actively identifying as a Christian, and it felt right at the time.

In high school, though, I came across something new: Wicca. It was actually through a television show I was watching at the time; one of the characters was Wiccan, and I didn't really know what that meant aside from magic and loving the earth, so I did some research into it. Although Wicca itself wasn't really my style, through that research I came across paganism as a whole, and that's where I ended up. Basically I believe that all religions are different paths to the same place, worshipping different aspects of the same universal deity/energy, and as such I take teachings and philosophies that speak to me from any source. I do follow the Wiccan rede as much as I can, but I consider myself more of an eclectic pagan than anything else.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Fanatic Offline
In Christ Alone ♥
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mary

Re: How did you choose? - March 10th 2018, 04:17 PM

Unlike a lot of people on this post, I’ve always been Nondenominational Christian. I grew up in a Christian home and my grandparents were Messiac Jewish. Even with this continued belief, no one is perfect. Everyone always has their doubts and brokenness which can cause to stray away from religion or bring them to it. But, even with all the brokenness I’ve face, I’ve always identified as Christian and turned to God. My mom and grandparents helped shape me in that way but staying a Christian was always a personal choice of mine. I could never see myself believing in any other religion or straying away from believing in God.

"I'm not a piece of cake for you to just discard
While you walk away with the frosting of my heart
So I'm taking back what's mine, you'll miss
The slice of heaven that I gave to you last night
." - "Cake" by Melanie Martinez

Send a message via Skype™ to Fanatic 
Closed Thread