TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives


You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
victoria101 Offline
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
victoria101's Avatar
 
Name: Victoria
Gender: Female
Location: Pittsburgh

Posts: 17
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: January 30th 2010

Thumbs up do you think theres a god?? - February 5th 2010, 06:05 PM

i curently go to church 2 times a week. My familys christian. But nobody ever askes questions is god real. well dont you think that if there was a god we wuld of found heaven already. like ppl searched for santa, and the tooth fairy and nobody ever found them. Then we find out its just our parents. Do you think the bible and god is a made up storie????
   
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
John 6:29 Offline
Romans 2:6-8
I've been here a while
********
 
John 6:29's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Gender: Male
Location: Michigan

Posts: 1,300
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: July 9th 2009

Re: do you think theres a god?? - February 5th 2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRvball247 View Post
i curently go to church 2 times a week. My familys christian. But nobody ever askes questions is god real. well dont you think that if there was a god we wuld of found heaven already. like ppl searched for santa, and the tooth fairy and nobody ever found them. Then we find out its just our parents. Do you think the bible and god is a made up storie????
A lot of people ask this question. There have been a ton of books written on the subject both secular and Christian. People in the Church ask this question as well, but have come to faith that God does in fact exist and has revealed Himself through Jesus Christ.
Heaven is unseen. Paul (I believe - may be mistaken) says that we hope for what is unseen, because no one hopes for what the have. No one will ever find God, nor will they find Heaven. Until the second coming of Christ, then every eye will see that Christ is alive.

Romans 1:20

"For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse."

However, Paul tells us that though God is invisible His attributes are revealed through creation, but namely His eternal power and divine nature. And that through Creation and our conscience (Romans 1:20, Hebrews 10:16) is enough to conclude there is a creator.

Through Romans 1 we also see that men suppress the truth of God by unrighteousness. People claim to be wise, but are actually fools and are thankful and begin to praise the creation rather than the Creator. And when this happens God gives people over to a depraved mind, to lust, sexual immorality, envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice, gossiping, slandering, god-hating, insolent, proud, boastful, inventors of evil, and disobedient to parents.

As far as being a made up story, the New Testament, is a well known fact, even in the secular world. They simply just deny that there was a resurrection or anything supernatural. It also has more manuscripts than anything in existent so if you can't trust the reliability of the New Testament, you can't really trust anything else your history bookj.

However, all scholars agree that Jesus was a great teacher, He did perform miracles (or magic as some would contest), He died, and His grave was empty in 3 days as He said it would be. There are theories about why His grave was empty, but most if not all of them can be put down with simple logic. The conversion of Saul to the Apostle Paul is also a fact (which is important if you read about it).

Simply put, I've said this before, but if you study the New Testament and the conversion of Saul, the facts of the empty grave, and the persecutions of the early church, I think you can conclude that there is a God that was incarnate in the person Jesus Christ.

Though I think you can come to the conclusion there is a God apart from Jesus Christ, I think His incarnation made it that much more apparant. If you have any questions just PM me, I know if I come back to this thread it'll turn to a debate.
  Send a message via AIM to John 6:29 Send a message via MSN to John 6:29  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: do you think theres a god?? - February 6th 2010, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRvball247 View Post
i curently go to church 2 times a week. My familys christian. But nobody ever askes questions is god real. well dont you think that if there was a god we wuld of found heaven already. like ppl searched for santa, and the tooth fairy and nobody ever found them. Then we find out its just our parents. Do you think the bible and god is a made up storie????
I think Jesus was a real person. What he did, such as supposed miracles I'm unsure on and I'm not well-versed enough in the history to make a judgment call on whether there is enough evidence to reasonably show the miracles did occur by someone. I believe the concept of god, especially the Christian god as that's what you're asking about is man-made. I view it as a method that hundreds of years ago, an elite minority used the idea of a powerful divine being only they encountered to control the majority. I say this as the bible seems to be a photograph in time of what was forbidden and what wasn't. Things such as homosexual acts being not allowed to me is a photograph in time of how society was. The 12 Commandments to me seem like laws that the society had based upon god, so that is part of the means of control.

The stories in there may have been based on real events at that time mixed in with the notion of a god. How much of it is true and how much is artificial I'm not sure. Either way, it seems like it's an ancient belief where people did not know much of anything and the idea of a god allowed for things to be half-hazardly explained.

In the bible, it seems that some of it was meant as moral guides and some of the stories seem to be lessons of these moral values seen by Jesus (i.e. Garden of Eden). On the other hand, some of it has the bloodshedding that was likely common at the time seen by God in the Old Testament. Events such as plundering various villages I believe was a real event and so it god documented. Attributing the plundering to god seemed to be a way to justify what was done and to control the society. For example, if someone says "go kill that lady, she said...", that probably wouldn't occur right away but if you say "god commands that you kill that lady for she has disgraced his holyness by saying...", then people would be more likely.

God has so many human-like features despite being prophesized to not be a human that it seems as though he was man-made. He has all the features and does the things any human would do. I believe that when god is created in people's minds, people believe it and as they keep conceptualizing their creation in their minds, the clauses they give to it allow for it to control them and it becomes a loop that keeps on increasing until the person manages to take themselves out of it.

Do I think there's the Christian god? Given the amount of available information, not at all. It's an umbrella explanation for everything, so if you want a quick explanation that will apply to everything, that's what you choose. If you want an accurate, detailed one that is molded to certain things, then you choose science (not mutually exclusive though). I adhere to logic and science, the Christian god is neither nor is the faith, it's the opposite.
   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Just Peachy. Offline
Normality, my friends.

Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
Just Peachy.'s Avatar
 
Name: Lynds :)
Age: 28
Gender: Grill ;)
Location: Seattle

Posts: 7,290
Blog Entries: 199
Join Date: February 19th 2009

Re: do you think theres a god?? - February 6th 2010, 04:33 AM

I used to be involved in Mormonism. Went to church atleast five times a week.

I do think there is A God.. I'm not sure which religion is the most true or what not.
I don't think you can put santa in the same category as God. That is a little too general.

Basically the Bible is made up of true events. It is up to you to decide whether or not you believe it though. Some don't. Some do. Some people don't believe in something until they see it.

It all depends on what you think is true. That's what matters. If you try and convince yourself that you believe something just because you think you should, then you will never have the answers.

I hope this made sense.


  Send a message via AIM to Just Peachy. Send a message via MSN to Just Peachy.  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
ILoveMayonnaise Offline
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
ILoveMayonnaise's Avatar
 
Name: Lola
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: ARIZONA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 64
Join Date: January 31st 2010

Re: do you think theres a god?? - February 7th 2010, 12:29 AM

Im an atheist, but my bf is a satanist and wants me to convert....
   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
xxxAJxxx Offline
TEIAM - problem solved.
Average Joe
***
 
xxxAJxxx's Avatar
 
Name: Aj
Age: 25
Gender: Male

Posts: 183
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: December 3rd 2009

Re: do you think theres a god?? - February 7th 2010, 12:41 AM

I think it is a myth made to try to explain why things happen in the world. Just like the stories told by the Native Americans. Although it is cruel in a way because sometimes you hope for a god to help you, and nothing changes. I'm all for the humanity part of religion, just not the praise and the god part.


"Now at the end of everyday I lie awake at night and wait
To feel the wires of my brain get cut and quietly rearranged, and
Hear my beaten heart exclaim, 'Still, I refuse to let her go.'"

So we escape to our mistakes for they wait patiently for us.
Oh, how they always wait for me.

If my fear has kept me here only my fear can set me free."
   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Yen Offline
Resident Leprechaun
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Yen's Avatar
 
Name: Ian
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Location: Oregon

Posts: 352
Join Date: October 21st 2009

Re: do you think theres a god?? - February 7th 2010, 12:52 AM

Things have happened in my life to convince me that there is something bigger and beyond our comprehension operating out there. Call it God if you want. I don't slap a name on it though. Whatever it is, it's been enough for me and I find strength in it .


"Why isn't bull-riding (Beef NASCAR as I call it) the American sport to end all sports? It's an epic battle of the wills between a man and an angry cheeseburger; and if that doesn't typify our awesome civilization, I don't know what does."
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough
*********
 
Xujhan's Avatar
 
Name: Fletcher
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Location: Ontario, Canada

Posts: 2,024
Join Date: January 17th 2009

Re: do you think theres a god?? - February 7th 2010, 11:27 AM

I think the bible is probably reasonably accurate as a historic text documeting human lives - Jesus and the apostles and all - but the miracles and religion I find about as unlikely as a moon made of cheese. And I think that trying to draw moral absolutes from it is about as sensible as drawing the same from any other historic text.


The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran
*************
 
.:Bibliophile:.'s Avatar
 
Gender: Just me

Posts: 17,889
Blog Entries: 1868
Join Date: January 18th 2009

Re: do you think theres a god?? - February 8th 2010, 05:43 AM

I believe in GOD completely and without fail. But, I don't know if I believe in the bible. I know this sounds wrong but my reasons for this are as follows.

1) The bible was written by man. There is no way to get around that. And, sometimes man writes things to better suit their needs.

2) The bible was written thousands of years ago in a very ancient language and there have been many different interpretation of words used. The original bible is kept in the Vatican and no one has seen it in ages. So, who knows what is really in there, you know? What kind of changes might have been made etc.

So, I believe in god with all my being but the bible confuses me a bit.


|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|
   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Algernon's Avatar
 
Name: Holly
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Roseville, California

Posts: 4,122
Join Date: January 21st 2009

Re: do you think theres a god?? - February 8th 2010, 06:02 AM

It's good to have faith and Isn't bad to ask questions! God wants you to ask questions so you can know more about him. I personally believe there is a God, I don't know about other people on here. Some do, some don't. I've asked questions, and I've debated, lived through situations... And I still believe there is a God. There's just too much going on in life that can't be explained. There's a reason why people have emotions, a conscience, a lifeforce. I don't think It was by accident.


Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?
**********
 
MadPoet's Avatar
 
Name: Amanda.
Age: 25
Gender: Female.
Location: Michigan.

Posts: 4,685
Blog Entries: 121
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: do you think theres a god?? - February 8th 2010, 06:13 AM

I definitely believe in God. I've doubted him a lot over the past year or so, and I feel so much satisfaction when I say those four words: I believe in God.

Believing in God is a commitment. You either do, or you don't. I'll never believe that you can force yourself to believe. You can teach yourself about God, and you either accept him, or you deny him. It just depends on who you are.

That being said, we are all born believing. I believe that in the first seconds we are born, we know where we have come from. We remember everything about Heaven, and about God. But overtime we forget these memories, and our beliefs become polluted by those of the world. We've all believed at one point or another.

I don't believe in the bible. I believe in God's word. The bible is simply a bunch of text that has been rephrased and translated over thousands of years. I believe that the real place we will find God's word, is in our hearts. I'll try not to sound cheesy here... but if you want to believe, if you want to know what God has to teach you, you need to look inside your heart and your soul. Because I'm a firm believer that deep down, you already know all that there is to know.

Set aside the beliefs of the world, set aside what you've been taught to believe, and search for the answers that you have always held inside yourself. It takes a long time, and it's hard to figure out what you, as a person, truly believe. But we're all made to believe something. It may not be exactly what is said in the bible, it may not be exactly what Christians tell us to believe. But God is inside each of us, and whether we admit it or not... deep down we all believe.





A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts


   
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran
*************
 
.:Bibliophile:.'s Avatar
 
Gender: Just me

Posts: 17,889
Blog Entries: 1868
Join Date: January 18th 2009

Re: do you think theres a god?? - February 8th 2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOfNyx View Post
I definitely believe in God. I've doubted him a lot over the past year or so, and I feel so much satisfaction when I say those four words: I believe in God.

Believing in God is a commitment. You either do, or you don't. I'll never believe that you can force yourself to believe. You can teach yourself about God, and you either accept him, or you deny him. It just depends on who you are.

That being said, we are all born believing. I believe that in the first seconds we are born, we know where we have come from. We remember everything about Heaven, and about God. But overtime we forget these memories, and our beliefs become polluted by those of the world. We've all believed at one point or another.

I don't believe in the bible. I believe in God's word. The bible is simply a bunch of text that has been rephrased and translated over thousands of years. I believe that the real place we will find God's word, is in our hearts. I'll try not to sound cheesy here... but if you want to believe, if you want to know what God has to teach you, you need to look inside your heart and your soul. Because I'm a firm believer that deep down, you already know all that there is to know.

Set aside the beliefs of the world, set aside what you've been taught to believe, and search for the answers that you have always held inside yourself. It takes a long time, and it's hard to figure out what you, as a person, truly believe. But we're all made to believe something. It may not be exactly what is said in the bible, it may not be exactly what Christians tell us to believe. But God is inside each of us, and whether we admit it or not... deep down we all believe.
I like this a lot. This is how I feel about it all too.

LOVE IT!


|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|
   
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
hopefaithlove's Avatar
 
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: United States

Posts: 1,332
Blog Entries: 6
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: do you think theres a god?? - February 8th 2010, 05:16 PM

I believe in God, and I know people who have "seen Heaven" in their own ways.


There is always hope. PM me anytime.
SH Free since 10.20.08
   
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
cleostar09 Offline
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
cleostar09's Avatar
 
Name: *Annastesia*
Gender: Female

Posts: 49
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: do you think theres a god?? - February 15th 2010, 03:01 AM

I believe in God. Recently I haven't been living for him and just kinda doing my own thing. Well, just this weekend I've had PROOF of His excistance. See lately I've been debating whether I should live accourding to God's words or live for myself. I drank, cursed, been sexual, etc... I'm apart of a small group/bible study that I still went to because of the relationship I have with the girls in it. My small group leader told me that something that she wouldn't have known on her own. She told me that God told her that I needed to make a BIG decision that would affect my friends, family, and my life. I had already known that, but I didn't ell anyone about my confrontation. That right there is true PROOF to me that God lives and works in our lives. He just wants us to follow him so we can have the best life possible.


Servatis a periculum...
Servatis a maleficum...
  Send a message via Yahoo to cleostar09  
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Arcenciel Offline
Child and Youth Care Worker
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Arcenciel's Avatar
 
Name: Jen
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: IRAW!

Posts: 999
Blog Entries: 4
Join Date: March 21st 2009

Re: do you think theres a god?? - February 15th 2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
I believe in GOD completely and without fail. But, I don't know if I believe in the bible. I know this sounds wrong but my reasons for this are as follows.

1) The bible was written by man. There is no way to get around that. And, sometimes man writes things to better suit their needs.

2) The bible was written thousands of years ago in a very ancient language and there have been many different interpretation of words used. The original bible is kept in the Vatican and no one has seen it in ages. So, who knows what is really in there, you know? What kind of changes might have been made etc.

So, I believe in god with all my being but the bible confuses me a bit.
1) Yes, it was written by man. It was also written by man as it happened. In other religions, their books that they live by were written in today's times and talk about past events. The Bible was written in those times.

2) A man named James Beverly came to my church and he's studied world religions for YEARS and like dedicates his life to it and stuff. He did a Q+A with our young adults ministry last night and someone actually asked this exact question. The answer was very simple. Learn Greek and go find an original Bible that was written in Greek (the original language it was written in) and you'll find that it's the same. He knows Greek and has done this. It's been translated in ways that makes the ideas easier for us to understand, but it's saying the exact same things.

The Bible is the word of God. It teaches us so much about who He is and what Jesus did for us.
   
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Lizzie's Avatar
 
Name: Lizzie
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 4,698
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: do you think theres a god?? - February 15th 2010, 03:45 PM

I believe in a male God and a female Goddess. And they rock my world. I think the bible has some really great historical references. But between the parallel texts, the five different authors and countless editors, I do not believe the entire thing is the word of God. Are there some words of God in there? Maybe, probably, it is a holy text. But I would not stake my life on it, and I don’t.

Really Noah? You got seven of each species of animal all on one boat? Do I really need to know about that to believe in God, nah, not so much.

Believing and faith comes from your heart and soul.




Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~
   
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Arcenciel Offline
Child and Youth Care Worker
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Arcenciel's Avatar
 
Name: Jen
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: IRAW!

Posts: 999
Blog Entries: 4
Join Date: March 21st 2009

Re: do you think theres a god?? - February 15th 2010, 04:14 PM

Noah didn't get Seven of every animal. He got 2. Also, the Bible was written by something like 40 different authors. Not just five.

Last edited by Arcenciel; February 15th 2010 at 04:20 PM.
   
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough
*********
 
Xujhan's Avatar
 
Name: Fletcher
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Location: Ontario, Canada

Posts: 2,024
Join Date: January 17th 2009

Re: do you think theres a god?? - February 15th 2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverChanged View Post
Yes, it was written by man. It was also written by man as it happened. In other religions, their books that they live by were written in today's times and talk about past events. The Bible was written in those times.
Is this not also true of the Qur'an, among other texts?


The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Lizzie's Avatar
 
Name: Lizzie
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 4,698
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: do you think theres a god?? - February 15th 2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverChanged View Post
Noah didn't get Seven of every animal. He got 2. Also, the Bible was written by something like 40 different authors. Not just five.
Yes, the popular version told in churches today is the story of two of every animal. But when reading genesis the story is not exactly as the popular version depicts it.

Genesis chapter 7, there are two stories told. Noah, his family and the animals enter the ark twice. And both stories are very different from one another.

Genesis 7:2-7:5

“Take with you seven pairs of all clean animals, the male and its mate; and a pair of the animals that are not clean, the male and its mate, and seven pairs of the birds of the air also, male and female, to keep their kind alive on the face of all the earth. For in seven days I will send rain on the earth for forty days and forty nights; and every living thing that I have made I will blot out from the face of the ground”. And Noah did all that the Lord had commanded him.

And I know there are 40 something authors, I am talking about authors that don’t have their own books that added something to the text after they were written.




Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~
   
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
John 6:29 Offline
Romans 2:6-8
I've been here a while
********
 
John 6:29's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Gender: Male
Location: Michigan

Posts: 1,300
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: July 9th 2009

Re: do you think theres a god?? - February 15th 2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
Yes, the popular version told in churches today is the story of two of every animal. But when reading genesis the story is not exactly as the popular version depicts it.

Genesis chapter 7, there are two stories told. Noah, his family and the animals enter the ark twice. And both stories are very different from one another.

Genesis 7:2-7:5

“Take with you seven pairs of all clean animals, the male and its mate; and a pair of the animals that are not clean, the male and its mate, and seven pairs of the birds of the air also, male and female, to keep their kind alive on the face of all the earth. For in seven days I will send rain on the earth for forty days and forty nights; and every living thing that I have made I will blot out from the face of the ground”. And Noah did all that the Lord had commanded him.

And I know there are 40 something authors, I am talking about authors that don’t have their own books that added something to the text after they were written.
It's 7 of every kind of clean animal. These were the sacrificial animals. Not 7 of every animal. Which makes that a vast difference in numbers.
  Send a message via AIM to John 6:29 Send a message via MSN to John 6:29  
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Lizzie's Avatar
 
Name: Lizzie
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 4,698
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: do you think theres a god?? - February 15th 2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael. View Post
It's 7 of every kind of clean animal. These were the sacrificial animals. Not 7 of every animal. Which makes that a vast difference in numbers.
Even having seven of each clean animal makes a vast difference in numbers from the popular version of two of each animal.

Either way, this off topic conversation just proves that things in the bible are not always what they seem, or what they are taught in churches. Growing up most people were taught it was two of every kind, no exception. But, that’s not what genesis states. Discrepancies like this are one of the reasons I don’t see the bible as infallible. But that does not mean I don’t have to believe in God because of that.

Now, back on topic.




Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~
   
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
John 6:29 Offline
Romans 2:6-8
I've been here a while
********
 
John 6:29's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Gender: Male
Location: Michigan

Posts: 1,300
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: July 9th 2009

Re: do you think theres a god?? - February 16th 2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post


Even having seven of each clean animal makes a vast difference in numbers from the popular version of two of each animal.

Either way, this off topic conversation just proves that things in the bible are not always what they seem, or what they are taught in churches. Growing up most people were taught it was two of every kind, no exception. But, that’s not what genesis states. Discrepancies like this are one of the reasons I don’t see the bible as infallible. But that does not mean I don’t have to believe in God because of that.

Now, back on topic.
That's actually not vast at all. If I understand this distinction correctly it was probably only about 100-120 animals more (max) than if it was 2 of each (and I stand corrected if I am wrong, but this list is found in Leviticus). Which I suppose if it's all on a ark you can consider it significant, but I don't think it's THAT big of a deal or something to debate over. I do agree you though in that people put to much emphasis on the 2 animals that were on the ark. However, it is taught that he took 7 of the clean animals in churches (at least biblically sound churches and bible studies) because they were used for sacrifices to the Lord. If you leave this out, you leave a significant chunk out of the story since these offerings to the Lord provoked Him to make a covenant vow never to flood the Earth again through the rainbow. I'm curious, do you or have you ever gone to church (just wondering)?

Anyways, I suppose we should go back onto the topic.
  Send a message via AIM to John 6:29 Send a message via MSN to John 6:29  
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Kryptonite Offline
Hmph
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Kryptonite's Avatar
 
Name: Alex
Gender: Male

Posts: 541
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: do you think theres a god?? - February 16th 2010, 12:37 AM

Uh, yes. But not the God most of you are thinking of. God is internal, not external.


Alex
[Click to PM me.]


"If I go crazy then will you still
call me Superman
If I’m alive and well, will you be
There holding my hand
I’ll keep you by my side
With my superhuman might...
Kryptonite"

<3




   
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
Blazer Offline
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
Blazer's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Age: 26
Gender: Male

Posts: 46
Join Date: February 17th 2010

Re: do you think theres a god?? - February 17th 2010, 06:50 AM

I don't believe in a god or gods. At a point in my life I had great question about the belief in god but I couldn't express them without great discomfort from others so I just hid the thoughts. I never thought I could even think about the question without thinking I would be, punished.

I finally found out that there were others like me who have gone through that question of is god real and came out with no. It was almost surprising to hear this sort of thing since I have never heard of an atheist before that point. So I told myself that I wouldn't believe in god for a day and if a god was truly there the feeling without him would be horrible and I would never go that way again. So I told myself, "I do not believe in god." I felt so relieved after I said those words, so happy, that it became more then just day.

Though if there is a god out there I doubt he cares to much about if we believe in him or not.
   
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough
*********
 
Xujhan's Avatar
 
Name: Fletcher
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Location: Ontario, Canada

Posts: 2,024
Join Date: January 17th 2009

Re: do you think theres a god?? - February 18th 2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
I don't believe in a god or gods. At a point in my life I had great question about the belief in god but I couldn't express them without great discomfort from others so I just hid the thoughts. I never thought I could even think about the question without thinking I would be, punished.

I finally found out that there were others like me who have gone through that question of is god real and came out with no. It was almost surprising to hear this sort of thing since I have never heard of an atheist before that point. So I told myself that I wouldn't believe in god for a day and if a god was truly there the feeling without him would be horrible and I would never go that way again. So I told myself, "I do not believe in god." I felt so relieved after I said those words, so happy, that it became more then just day.

Though if there is a god out there I doubt he cares to much about if we believe in him or not.
I want to thank you for posting this, Blazer. I hope it doesn't seem like I have an agenda, but I think there are more than a few people out there living in the same position you were and even reading a single story like yours might help them to find peace within themselves.

And I have no idea if this will catch your interest, but if you ever have thoughts you want to share or just feel like discussing a little philosophy, I'd be more than happy to hear from you.

Hope you're keeping well!


The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough
*********
 
Philomath's Avatar
 
Name: Christina
Gender: Female
Location: Where the books are

Posts: 2,281
Blog Entries: 135
Join Date: July 25th 2009

Re: do you think theres a god?? - February 18th 2010, 01:11 PM

I believe in God. I'm not someone that knows the Bible as well as I believe I should, I don't read it often, but I know enough things from it and from those that read it often to know God's word.
I believe in God for several different reasons two of which I will list here:
1. I have been through some really rough times in my life and i have found that God is my only explanation. For example, I was born at 22 weeks gestation, I weighed under a pound and I'm still here with only one disability, blindness and that's because of the amount of oxygen I was given and the fact that my eyes weren't fully developed.
Most premature babies born that early or even not as early, haveother disabilities, than just one, they also have health complications.
2. I know God exists because when i was younger I was put in the hospital with severe malnutrition and dehydration and the doctors said that if i hadn't been brought within 24 hours I would have been nearly dead.

Some people might call those two reasons luck, but in my oppinion, God has been with me and is with all of us. He is with everyone, even those that sin and don't believe in him, he watches everyone and created everyone. He gave us all the knowledge we have to create the things we have and he also warned in the Bible of the fact that man would go against him and sin, with what he has given us which has happened and will continue to happen until the day that Jesus reappears and shows himself to us.

I think I went a bit off topic, sorry for that.


"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
   
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
l0stCause Offline
chaos walks
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
l0stCause's Avatar
 
Age: 29

Posts: 277
Join Date: November 17th 2009

Re: do you think theres a god?? - February 20th 2010, 05:51 PM

read the bible the quran and many other religious texts
no i dont think there is a god
yes i think the stories r about as real as the boogeyman or santa claus
actually i cant say that at least santa is based on a real person whereas god has no factual basis


“Chaos is the score upon which reality is written.”
   
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Ayak22 Offline
[Formerly LetGodArise/Ayak]
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Ayak22's Avatar
 
Name: Alex
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Location: England

Posts: 592
Join Date: January 30th 2009

Re: do you think theres a god?? - February 21st 2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0stCause View Post
read the bible the quran and many other religious texts
no i dont think there is a god
yes i think the stories r about as real as the boogeyman or santa claus
actually i cant say that at least santa is based on a real person whereas god has no factual basis
The bible is proven to be historically accurate in a lot of places. I realise that this still doesn't count as factual basis per se but there are a lot of loose ends that can't be ignored.


InherentlyObvious/LetGodArise/AyakTwloha
Member since Sep '08
Always here to help.
To Write Love On Her Arms


   
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
lostandalone Offline
Forgotten loser
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
lostandalone's Avatar
 
Name: Erika
Age: 24
Gender: Female

Posts: 384
Blog Entries: 98
Join Date: November 1st 2009

Re: do you think theres a god?? - February 21st 2010, 01:23 PM

Speaking from my own experiences..No, I don't believe in god.

I shouldnt even be here..I was concieved by a drunken teenager and a horny 21yr old who had unprotected sex...and my life been down hill ever since.




"Think of your life as a book, move forward, close one chapter and open another." – Unknown

We give each other strength to make it through the darkness." – Silverstein

‎"Life is the art of drawing without an eraser." – John W. Gardner

"It is never too late to be what you might have been." – George Eliot

Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving." – J.K. Rowling
   
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
Ayak22 Offline
[Formerly LetGodArise/Ayak]
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Ayak22's Avatar
 
Name: Alex
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Location: England

Posts: 592
Join Date: January 30th 2009

Re: do you think theres a god?? - February 21st 2010, 09:26 PM

^You should be here. You're here well.. because you are. And that's for a reason. Even if you don't believe it, it makes sense to assume. Just thought I'd say.


InherentlyObvious/LetGodArise/AyakTwloha
Member since Sep '08
Always here to help.
To Write Love On Her Arms


   
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: do you think theres a god?? - February 21st 2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetGodArise View Post
^You should be here. You're here well.. because you are. And that's for a reason. Even if you don't believe it, it makes sense to assume. Just thought I'd say.
Reading your flow of logic just confuses me to no know end: B should be here because B currently is here for an undefined reason(s), which are correct because we assume those reason(s) are correct.
   
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
Ranbaz Offline
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
Ranbaz's Avatar
 
Name: Nik
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Location: PA

Posts: 23
Join Date: February 21st 2010

Re: do you think theres a god?? - February 22nd 2010, 02:51 AM

I think it's possible, but I can't say. Maybe, maybe not. One day I'll take the time and find out.
   
  (#33 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Algernon's Avatar
 
Name: Holly
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Roseville, California

Posts: 4,122
Join Date: January 21st 2009

February 22nd 2010, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xujhan View Post
Is this not also true of the Qur'an, among other texts?
Love it! Does someone have an answer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostandalone View Post
Speaking from my own experiences..No, I don't believe in god.

I shouldnt even be here..I was concieved by a drunken teenager and a horny 21yr old who had unprotected sex...and my life been down hill ever since.
My mother was a meth addict that had sex with a man 15 years older than her who was also addicted. Never married, and my father was never around. So what?

And that doesn't change one thing if there is God or not. I believe, I'm sorry if you don't. But being as 19, I at least realize that you should never blame your circumstances as a lack of "God."


Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."

Last edited by Lizzie; February 23rd 2010 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Merge Double Post
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
hopefaithlove's Avatar
 
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: United States

Posts: 1,332
Blog Entries: 6
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: do you think theres a god?? - February 22nd 2010, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHolyValorx View Post
My mother was a meth addict that had sex with a man 15 years older than her who was also addicted. Never married, and my father was never around. So what?

And that doesn't change one thing if there is God or not. I believe, I'm sorry if you don't. But being as 19, I at least realize that you should never blame your circumstances as a lack of "God."
I love that. It's so true.


There is always hope. PM me anytime.
SH Free since 10.20.08
   
  (#35 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Algernon's Avatar
 
Name: Holly
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Roseville, California

Posts: 4,122
Join Date: January 21st 2009

Re: do you think theres a god?? - February 22nd 2010, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefaithlove View Post


I love that. It's so true.
Why thank ya


Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#36 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: do you think theres a god?? - February 22nd 2010, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHolyValorx View Post

And that doesn't change one thing if there is God or not. I believe, I'm sorry if you don't. But being as 19, I at least realize that you should never blame your circumstances as a lack of "God."
Interesting. Does this then mean that you shouldn't associate your successes with the presence of a God?
   
  (#37 (permalink)) Old
Blazer Offline
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
Blazer's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Age: 26
Gender: Male

Posts: 46
Join Date: February 17th 2010

Re: do you think theres a god?? - February 22nd 2010, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!YOU'RE$NUCKING$FUTZ!!! View Post
Interesting. Does this then mean that you shouldn't associate your successes with the presence of a God?
That's what I was going to say. I mean when people win something they praise god for their win, but when they lose you never to maybe even rarely hear someone blame god.
   
  (#38 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Algernon's Avatar
 
Name: Holly
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Roseville, California

Posts: 4,122
Join Date: January 21st 2009

February 22nd 2010, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!YOU'RE$NUCKING$FUTZ!!! View Post
Interesting. Does this then mean that you shouldn't associate your successes with the presence of a God?
Funny thing, I believe there are things that happen of God and things that you do by yourself. Faith without works is dead, have you heard that before? You can't rely only on God for everything. I do believe God does miracles though. Slim odds.

Here's an example... I used to be obsessed with how God could change things and I would end up praying for everything. But now I find my mind always thinking of how to achieve things. Good change.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
That's what I was going to say. I mean when people win something they praise god for their win, but when they lose you never to maybe even rarely hear someone blame god.
Many people believe different things. I don't blame God for the bad, he doesn't do it. Nor does he do many of the good things. Christians around my area blame "bad" on satan half the time and I've ended up arguing "Satan Isn't the reason for ____" because he's not. We have negativity in us as well.


Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."

Last edited by Lizzie; February 23rd 2010 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Merge Double Post
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#39 (permalink)) Old
l0stCause Offline
chaos walks
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
l0stCause's Avatar
 
Age: 29

Posts: 277
Join Date: November 17th 2009

Re: do you think theres a god?? - February 22nd 2010, 04:13 AM

as ive said i dont think there is a god, however no1 can be sure can they? if there was ever evidence of god's presence i would admit i was wrong and believe but i have yet to see any evidence of it


“Chaos is the score upon which reality is written.”
   
  (#40 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: do you think theres a god?? - February 22nd 2010, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHolyValorx View Post
Funny thing, I believe there are things that happen of God and things that you do by yourself. Faith without works is dead, have you heard that before? You can't rely only on God for everything. I do believe God does miracles though. Slim odds.

Here's an example... I used to be obsessed with how God could change things and I would end up praying for everything. But now I find my mind always thinking of how to achieve things. Good change.
So if I understand you correctly, you don't blame "bad" things on God or Satan but "good" things may be done by God or by the individual person? I'm curious though, if you are certain not to blame "bad" on God, then why do you keep a small amount of reasoning for "good" sometimes being done by God? When you say God does miracles, do you use God as a place-holder for serving as an explanation for something you don't know why it occurs or do you genuinely believe God did these things, such as have someone no longer experience cancer or similar events?
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
god

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright ©1998-2021, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints | Mobile

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.