TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Name: no

Points: 20,302, Level: 20 Points: 20,302, Level: 20 Points: 20,302, Level: 20

Deism- The most hated 'religion' - February 10th 2010, 06:01 AM

As a deist myself, I've come to determine deism as the most (unconsidered) but hated religion.

Religion people hate us because we are not religious, nor do we associate with a church, etc, or any given organised religion or follow any of their steps.

Atheists hate us because we believe in God (or at least some form of supreme being)

Anyways, I've come to this conclusive religion because as a lover of science, I feel that everything (including 'love') is chemical reactions, in the way that traces back down to the very first big bang... but I believe something had to put those chemicals there to begin with. Even in the sense of spontaneous generation, the space for the chemicals to form in had to be created somehow. How? No idea. God? Could be. Organised religion? Nah.

And in this sense, I can pick and choose what I believe based solely off MY beliefs, rather than following those of a rabbi or priest or muslim leader thing... Reincarnation, for example. I believe in that, as well, solely because I deny the possibility to not exist.

Thoughts?

I love the name of honour more than I fear death.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
AnaMZ Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 10,133, Level: 14 Points: 10,133, Level: 14 Points: 10,133, Level: 14

Re: Deism- The most hated 'religion' - February 10th 2010, 10:16 AM

I don't hate deism, but your words summarise what I dislike about it:

"I can pick and choose what I believe based solely off MY beliefs, rather than following those of a rabbi or priest or muslim leader thing... Reincarnation, for example. I believe in that, as well, solely because I deny the possibility to not exist."

Thus, your "beliefs" are based on what is comforting, not what is true or correct. Yes, this is the same for pretty much every religion out there, but as organised religions with set doctrines, they're less likely to admit it. So I feel much the same about deists as I do about theists - you're all just after the warm fuzzies, it's just that the deists are the only ones 'fessing up to wanting it.

Dear You,
You can make it through this. The clouds will not last forever.
From Me.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Re: Deism- The most hated 'religion' - February 10th 2010, 02:29 PM

Well, right. I believe what is comforting, and what works best for me. Do I believe that some supreme being will abide to my whims and beliefs-- of course not, because I do not necessarily believe in that type of creator.

Yes shouldn't your own personal beliefs rather than blindly following a church leader's or the trend of atheism stand true as a more self righteous, independent way of thinking? Yet it is denounced.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Points: 15,053, Level: 17 Points: 15,053, Level: 17 Points: 15,053, Level: 17

Re: Deism- The most hated 'religion' - February 11th 2010, 12:05 AM

Can you please explain what exactly Deism is? I could look it up on Wikipedia but this tends to work better.

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
BigBL87 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 10,910, Level: 15 Points: 10,910, Level: 15 Points: 10,910, Level: 15

February 11th 2010, 12:13 AM

I don't hate deists or deism. In fact, I wouldn't say it is the most hated by any stretch.

The fact is, a good number of people who call themselves "Christians" (at least in the US) are what I would call "morally therapeutic deists." They believe in God because his existence is a comforting thought and perhaps because they see design in our world, but they don't really believe in Christ's death, resurrection, etc.. They do live by the teachings that they care to, hence the "morally" part of my description. They call themselves Christians but their beliefs don't fit that label.

In addition, just because you are a part of a church does not mean that you "must believe" what the minister/priest/whatever you will says. I attend a Restoration Movement Christian Church (i.e. Independent Christian Churches/Churches of Christ), and while I generally fall in line with the theology of the movement I do have some substantial differences. My view of Baptism, for example, is far different from that of the movement my church is a part of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaMZ View Post
So I feel much the same about deists as I do about theists - you're all just after the warm fuzzies, it's just that the deists are the only ones 'fessing up to wanting it.
What I don't understand is that the simple belief in a supreme being automatically means that we're "just after the warm fuzzies." I, for one, came to my belief via a process of study, reasoning, and philosophical reflection. I've never had that "warm fuzzy" religious experience that some Christians have had.

I honestly think that it is incredibly arrogant to assume that no one can come to a different conclusion than you when presented with the same evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Can you please explain what exactly Deism is? I could look it up on Wikipedia but this tends to work better.
The basic description I would give is that it is the belief in a creator God who, since creating the world, has not intervened in it. This creator God can be compared to a watch-maker who created the world, wound it up, and stepped back. Beliefs from person to person may change, but that is the connecting feature of all forms of deism.

Last edited by Lizzie; February 11th 2010 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Merge
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Re: Deism- The most hated 'religion' - February 11th 2010, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Basically, it is the belief in a supreme being, but accompanied by the separation from any organised religion.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Points: 22,302, Level: 21 Points: 22,302, Level: 21 Points: 22,302, Level: 21

Re: Deism- The most hated 'religion' - February 11th 2010, 03:39 AM

Funny how almost every group and religion under the sun happens to be the "most hated". By and large, most people aren't hateful, no matter what you believe in. Sorry to spoil your martyrdom. In fact, most atheists I've talked to are just fine with deists. Even most militant atheists only take exception to organized religion.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 15,360, Level: 18 Points: 15,360, Level: 18 Points: 15,360, Level: 18

Re: Deism- The most hated 'religion' - February 11th 2010, 03:53 AM

For those who don't know, Deism is - Belief in a divine creator, but doesn't play any part in our lives. Some claim he abandonded it, some say he "stepped back." I'm not sure which one it is.

One reason I can see Atheists being a bit annoyed by Deism is because, if you think about it, Deism is a step right behind Atheism. You'd might as well just ditch the all powerful creator, because you're already 95% there.

So on a scale of reason (1 being no reason, 10 being most reasonable), Atheists may put Christianity at a 2, Deism an 8, Agnosticism a 9, and Atheism a 10. Maybe some might switch Agnosticism and Deism..

In my personal experience, I went from:
Catholicism -> ??? -> Agnosticism -> Deism -> Atheism
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
AnaMZ Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Deism- The most hated 'religion' - February 11th 2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phin View Post
Well, right. I believe what is comforting, and what works best for me. Do I believe that some supreme being will abide to my whims and beliefs-- of course not, because I do not necessarily believe in that type of creator.

Yes shouldn't your own personal beliefs rather than blindly following a church leader's or the trend of atheism stand true as a more self righteous, independent way of thinking? Yet it is denounced.
Well, not really, no. If it is comforting for you to believe that gravity does not exist and you can fly, then sure, okay. But it hardly strikes me as an intelligent thing to do; whether it is a pleasant thing to believe is beside the point.

Dear You,
From Me.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
AnaMZ Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Deism- The most hated 'religion' - February 11th 2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBL87 View Post
What I don't understand is that the simple belief in a supreme being automatically means that we're "just after the warm fuzzies." I, for one, came to my belief via a process of study, reasoning, and philosophical reflection. I've never had that "warm fuzzy" religious experience that some Christians have had.

I honestly think that it is incredibly arrogant to assume that no one can come to a different conclusion than you when presented with the same evidence.
I apologise if it seemed like I was assuming something here. But I mean more along the lines of worshipping a god, or choosing a set of beliefs based on whether you personally agree with them or not (rather than evidence for or against the probability of them being true). Personally I am of the opinion that even the most reasoned, philosophical pathways leading to belief in the existence of a god have come about partly due to the human desire for comfort and reassurance, particularly when it comes to death and the afterlife. But, I wouldn't want to discuss that here.

Just out of curiosity, what are you gaining by believing in a God? No, I'm not trying to be utilitarian about belief, I'm just curious.

Dear You,
From Me.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
BigBL87 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 10,910, Level: 15 Points: 10,910, Level: 15 Points: 10,910, Level: 15

Re: Deism- The most hated 'religion' - February 11th 2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaMZ View Post
Just out of curiosity, what are you gaining by believing in a God? No, I'm not trying to be utilitarian about belief, I'm just curious.
I might ask you the converse, what are you gaining by NOT believing in a God?

As far as answering the question, I suppose there are a number of ways that it could be answered. Salvation might be one answer, security might be another, but both of those are contingent on actually believing in an afterlife. I suppose I could also say a supportive group of fellow believers. But, the main thing about it is that those are not the REASONS that I believe, they are just the result. If I didn't believe in God, I wouldn't have anything to worry about, I wouldn't need salvation or security because I simply wouldn't care because I wouldn't believe that there was an afterlife. Believing in God (and Christ for that matter) didn't make life easier by any stretch, in fact in some ways some might say it makes life a tad more difficult. The reason I believe is simply because I believe it is true, after having searched through many belief (and non-belief) systems to find that truth.

I am often accused (not in a bad way, necessarily) of being overly academic in my faith, which is just the way I happen to be wired. I don't get those "warm fuzzies" during worship songs that some people get, nor have I ever had an overwhelming religious experience. I've always really liked the writings of C.S. Lewis, as I see a bit of myself in him although I could never be as eloquent or intelligent as he was. Between Mere Christianity and A Grief Observed, I see alot of the way that I think and the way that I came to my faith.
Closed Thread