TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
acting101 Offline
Average Joe

Hmm, does this make me a bad catholic? - February 11th 2010, 08:22 PM

All my life I've been catholic.
I got baptized, went to Sunday school, had my first communion, got confirmed -- the whole sha-bang.
But I have always HATED going to church services.
I don't like what the priests preach about... it's kind of... judgmental? I dunno. I still believe in God though.
Finally, my mom said that she won't make me go anymore.
But I still go on Christmas, New Years, Easter... all that jazz.
Since I don't go to mass, does that make me a bad catholic? :S

If life seems jolly rotten,
there's something you've forgotten.
And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.
-♪♪♪-
Always look on the bright side of life.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Hmm, does this make me a bad catholic? - February 11th 2010, 08:37 PM

You don't have to be "Catholic" you can just say you're a believer. That's basically slang for you believe/love God =) Maybe you should try another kind of church. My church is pretty rockin' all the time. Try a Pentecostal church.

And NO it doesn't make you a bad Catholic. We're all sinners and we can't be on fire all the time. As bad as that sounds.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Hmm, does this make me a bad catholic? - February 11th 2010, 08:45 PM

Well the Bible encourages us to fellowship. You should go to Church to seek God, bt your church attendance is not the measure of your goodness. Many good people never go to church, many bad people go every week. Attending Church is a celebration among fellow Catholics but you do not have to be in actual church to practice your faith. God can hear you anywhere.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
John 6:29 Offline
Romans 2:6-8
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Hmm, does this make me a bad catholic? - February 11th 2010, 10:50 PM

Go to Evangelical church to escape the Pharisaical and legalistic systems of the Catholic Church and to be free of most judgments. Also, mass isn't biblical it's actually a mockery to God if you do a more in depth study of it. So does it make you a bad Catholic? I don't know. Who cares what the Church thinks or anyone else, it should matter what God thinks.
  Send a message via AIM to John 6:29 Send a message via MSN to John 6:29  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Arcenciel Offline
Child&Youth Care Student
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: Hmm, does this make me a bad catholic? - February 11th 2010, 11:03 PM

I found the same thing about catholic church. My parents never went, I never went either (except Christmas, Easter yada yada yada) but when we did go, it was like pulling teeth. It's so painful to sit there and listen and sing old hymns and stuff. I didn't know all the hand motions and whatever so I felt like the old people were glaring at me :P

Then I was tired of not knowing about God and having nothing to really look forward to. I talked to a lady from a Christian crisis line and she helped me understand God a little better and I gave my heart to Christ. Then I started going to the church down the street. It used to be a pentecostal church but now it's just a general Christian church. I love it so much, and it's fun, engaging, and I walk away learning something new about myself and about God.

Long story short, maybe you just need a change of scenery. A new church, perhaps, with new people and new, more up-beat stuff for you.

Good luck

Jennifer

Jen

Proud Mama of 2 Adopted Dogs
Koda- Shepherd/Malamute
Penny- Lab/Redbone Coon Hound

Send a message via MSN to Arcenciel  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Hmm, does this make me a bad catholic? - February 11th 2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverChanged View Post
I found the same thing about catholic church. My parents never went, I never went either (except Christmas, Easter yada yada yada) but when we did go, it was like pulling teeth. It's so painful to sit there and listen and sing old hymns and stuff. I didn't know all the hand motions and whatever so I felt like the old people were glaring at me :P

Then I was tired of not knowing about God and having nothing to really look forward to. I talked to a lady from a Christian crisis line and she helped me understand God a little better and I gave my heart to Christ. Then I started going to the church down the street. It used to be a pentecostal church but now it's just a general Christian church. I love it so much, and it's fun, engaging, and I walk away learning something new about myself and about God.

Long story short, maybe you just need a change of scenery. A new church, perhaps, with new people and new, more up-beat stuff for you.

Good luck

Jennifer
No offense to Catholics, you need what the Catholic church doesn't believe in. Imputed grace, not infused grace. Catholicism is just like every other religion in the sense in you need to do good works to get to Heaven, this isn't the Gospel. Which some Catholics don't even know that's what they believe -- but it's in their Catechism. You are saved ONLY by Christ and justified ONLY by Christ. Works has absolutely NOTHING to do with getting to Heaven and unless you understand that you will not experience Christ fully, and is possible that you're not saved if you don't understand that. If you think you do anything to deserve Heaven, you're making a mockery of Christ and He died for nothing. But when you do believe this you will have a faith that brings good works, not because you have too, but because you want to. My opinion: You don't enjoy it because you don't understand grace and if you don't understand grace it's possible you're not born again. Just grow in understanding of the cross, pull a Decartes, ask yourself, "why do I know what I know?" And read through the Bible and find out what is true, not what people tell you is true. If you understand you are HOPELESS without Christ and doomed for Hell, yet realize you were saved from Hell, though fully deserving it because you broke His commandments, if you understand this -- why don't you want to be at Church? It's because you feel you still have to DO something and thats why you don't like the judgments. Salvation is a free gift by faith! You're saved because Jesus lived a perfect life for you, everything He did, He did for you, all His good deeds were for you, all the mockery was for you, He bore the full wrath of God on the cross, took all your sin on His shoulders, and rose from the dead. All for you. If you believe this God sees you as holy and as righteous as Christ and you are free from all punishment and God sees you as perfect. The INNOCENT(JESUS) died for the GUILTY (You & Me). He did all this because He loves you and if this doesn't make you want to serve God, then you need to grow in understanding of what all this means. As a band Cool Hand Luke puts it, "A friendship that You wanted so much you would even die." Christ died to be in a relationship with you. The God of everything, the Creator of the galaxy, the sand, the oxygen, your parents, your friends, died for you so that He can be in a relationship with you. You rebelled against Him, but He loves you anyways. Even though you fully deserve Hell, He says, "No, I will send my Son so justice is met and I will forgive you -- just believe I've done this for you." If you don't understand that it is apart from works, this doesn't make you hopeless, just read through Romans, Ephesians, Galatians and John and ask God to open your eyes. Check out a book, Justification by Faith Alone by RC Sproul it'll explain to you the difference between evangelical and catholicism and differences between grace and it's 5 bucks.

Last edited by John 6:29; February 11th 2010 at 11:42 PM.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Hmm, does this make me a bad catholic? - February 12th 2010, 12:14 AM

No, it does not make you a bad Catholic. Catholicism gets hated on a lot by ignorant people. Pray to God and praise him.

There is always hope. PM me anytime.
SH Free since 10.20.08

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Hmm, does this make me a bad catholic? - February 12th 2010, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLullaby View Post
Not in the slightest! I don't go to Church on except on special days, not for the same reasons though, I am not able to wake up that early, I have insomnia. Plenty of very religious people don't attend Church.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#9 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Hmm, does this make me a bad catholic? - February 12th 2010, 02:35 AM

I've always though that church was simply a way to remain constant in your relationship with God. It's a way to show him your devotion and to worship him. Just because you don't go to church doesn't mean your relationship in him can't still be strong. You don't have to go to church in order to remain in contact with God. Instead, do other things in replacement of church, like taking a moment of time in the day to read through some bible verses, or doing anything special for God. I think that Catholics put too much emphasis on going to Church every week, and it's not AS important as it is made to sound. Sure it is important, so I would try to go every once and awhile. But every Sunday doesn't seem like it should be 100% necessary, and skipping church here and there really isn't a big deal.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#10 (permalink)) Old
DeeAnn_Angela Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Sophie

Re: Hmm, does this make me a bad catholic? - February 12th 2010, 03:16 AM

I don't know if it makes you a "bad" Catholic, but the Church does teach that it is a Mortal Sin not to go to Mass on all Holy Days of Obligation (including a Weekend Mass), and if you do miss Mass you aren't in a state of grace, which means if you recieve Communion before going to confession, you are commiting sacrilidge (sp?)

And by the way, for everyone saying the Catholic Church is judgemental-alright, so people are human, and I'm not saying that the people who belong to the Church here on Earth don't make mistakes, but it is taught that we are never to judge someone else...that's God's job. I just love how people see no problem with bashing the Church who only know rumors or what they've guessed or generilizations
  Send a message via Yahoo to DeeAnn_Angela  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Hmm, does this make me a bad catholic? - February 12th 2010, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefaithlove View Post
No, it does not make you a bad Catholic. Catholicism gets hated on a lot by ignorant people. Pray to God and praise him.
It gets bashed because of their infused grace doctrine. It's legalistic not to mention several of the other teachings that are contrary to what the Bible says. No offense to you, but I'd really read up on a lot of things the Catholic church says and teaches, etc. Really look at why you know what you know biblical and find an explanation for it. I find that a lot of Catholic to Evangelical converts weren't even really aware of what their Church was teaching them to begin with.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Hmm, does this make me a bad catholic? - February 12th 2010, 07:44 AM

I'm going to answer by looking at it from the opposite view: I don't think going to church makes you "good". It does nothing because it's simply a place to gather, talk and worship. It's a public building so it doesn't matter whether or not you go into the building or not, as long as you believe that's fine. It's like public hockey rinks, you can either make your own little ring in the back yard or go to a public rink. The public rink is bigger, has more people and is in an enclosed environment but it's not going to make you instantly better or worse. You need practice for that, just as for the belief you need your faith. Attending the hockey rink or church isn't going to make you better or worse, good or bad.

Regarding the issue you brought up of it being judgmental, I find that to be a moot point. Everyone judges everyone. Anyone who denies that is blowing out bullshit by the bucket. So, it's not an issue of the church being judgmental, it's a matter of the view they take in their judgments. If you want to attend church to worship with others or learn or whatever other reason, that's fine but it's not going to make you "good" or "bad". It's what you do that makes you good or bad, the church doesn't, it may be a factor but it's not the cause.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
DeeAnn_Angela Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Sophie

Re: Hmm, does this make me a bad catholic? - February 12th 2010, 10:39 AM

Catholics place so much importance on going to Mass for many many reasons, but one of the big ones if that we believe, in doing so, we are experiencing the REAL PRESENCE Of Christ in the Eucharist, in the most physical and non-symbolic way possible, and the only place you can experience that is at Mass. There's a story of a priest who couldn't, as much as he wanted to, believe in the Real Presence and so began praying and praying for God to help him believe. One day he was celebrating Mass, and when he offered the bread and wine up they actually changed thair arrearence and taste and texture to that of flesh and blood as well...and I BELIEVE< not sure, that they are on display somewhere as holy relics, but i'm not sure.

Also, MAss is considered to be something of a weekly doctor's appt. or school for your Soul. Sure, you can eat right and be healthy, or you can study from books, but it is still beneficial to go to a doctor and attend some sort of classes, right? And there's also the question of COmmunity, which is very very important...God wants us to share his Glory and our joy in him with others, it's not meant to be a private thing, for the most part
  Send a message via Yahoo to DeeAnn_Angela  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Hmm, does this make me a bad catholic? - February 14th 2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael. View Post
It gets bashed because of their infused grace doctrine. It's legalistic not to mention several of the other teachings that are contrary to what the Bible says. No offense to you, but I'd really read up on a lot of things the Catholic church says and teaches, etc. Really look at why you know what you know biblical and find an explanation for it. I find that a lot of Catholic to Evangelical converts weren't even really aware of what their Church was teaching them to begin with.
I've gone to Catholic school all my life, and I know what the Catholic church says and teaches. But thanks.

There is always hope. PM me anytime.
SH Free since 10.20.08

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Emily. Offline
taste the sky
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: Hmm, does this make me a bad catholic? - February 17th 2010, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLullaby View Post
All my life I've been catholic.
I got baptized, went to Sunday school, had my first communion, got confirmed -- the whole sha-bang.
But I have always HATED going to church services.
I don't like what the priests preach about... it's kind of... judgmental? I dunno. I still believe in God though.
Finally, my mom said that she won't make me go anymore.
But I still go on Christmas, New Years, Easter... all that jazz.
I don't think it makes you a bad Catholic. I was born and raised Catholic too and I understand that judgmental feeling that can be there, but I also think that it's a feeling you will run into, at least to some extent, within every religion. I found that getting involved in a younger parish really changed things for me so that could be something to look into.

It might also help you to explore other religions. You need to find a place where you feel at home in your beliefs.

God is the only one that can judge your heart. If you believe in him and live a life that he would be pleased with, then I wouldn't worry about what others think of you or about being "bad" at a specific religion.

"Sometimes it's a struggle to be not who you want to be, not who you used to be, not who you're going to be,
but just being right where you are, who you are"

(#16 (permalink)) Old
OhaiThere Offline
Jay and Boisterous Bob
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: John

Re: Hmm, does this make me a bad catholic? - February 17th 2010, 05:13 AM

Does it make you a bad Catholic? Yes, in a sense, it does.

Does it make you a bad Christian? No, not by a long shot.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Reuben Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Reuben

Re: Hmm, does this make me a bad catholic? - February 17th 2010, 04:35 PM

Hi, I can understand how you feel. I've been a Catholic since I was born and have the whole she-bang thing as well. Church can feel a bit restrictive sometimes. I personally dont think you're a bad Catholic. I've kind of figured that as long as you do good, you'll be in God's good books. No one's perfect and church isn't for everyone. As long as you believe in the existence in a higher being, he/she/it will be happy that you do. Never let societal norms question the faith you have in God! I'm gay but does that make me a bad Catholic? I don't think so.

On a side note, priests are human too and they can make errors. What they preach may not what God wants. Just look at the Roman Catholic's Church's bloody and contraversial history. It was responsible for crusades (violating the commandment of Do Not Kill), inquisitions, refusing to believe that Earth revolved around the sun, approved the use of torture, corrupted clergymen etc. In fact, Pope Paul II died of a heart attack while having sex with a pageboy which are two big big nonos in the Catholic church! I think we can safely say that the church is not perfect. In fact, it might even be misguided. We should just listen to ourselves and follow our hearts to form views about God, a personal God who is special, unique and has a meaning to each and everyone of us. It took me 19 years to realise this and I'm happy about it. I've managed to see the wonderful things God has done for me and I know he exists because of it. I used to be kind of sceptical of religion but I'm not now.

You can be Catholic and yet have your own personal God. The church can guide you in terms of history, values and the meaning of God but when it comes to the connection you feel with God, only you can make that happen. So it's good that you believe in God. I dont think God is as judgemental as priests are either. I don't believe God harbours hatred like some priest do. I believe he is a kind and benevolent being that protects and blesses those who pray to and believe in him, regardless if they go to church or not.

Last edited by Reuben; February 17th 2010 at 04:49 PM.

Closed Thread