TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Caspia Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 8,749, Level: 13 Points: 8,749, Level: 13 Points: 8,749, Level: 13

I can never settle on a religion? - February 21st 2010, 12:28 PM

I keep going back and forth from being a christian to believing in nothing at all. I WANT to believe in God but when I try to pray or anything I don't feel anything. Am I doing something wrong?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount47

Edit avatar

Re: I can never settle on a religion? - February 21st 2010, 01:25 PM

Maybe religon isn't for you. Not sounding disrespectful. However if you can't then why force yourself. I tried I just couldn't and I realized that I can't believe in god I just can't it just seems all to good to be true.

Your probably not doing anything wrong however, is this what you really want? You don't have to believe in God. I guess it maybe one of thoses things you'll have to realize yourself and its best not forced nor rushed. There is always the possibility of a god or being of some sort however its down to the person with in if they want to believe it.

think to yourself and wait. Go back to what inspired you to believe in God in the first place. Then maybe you'll find your awnser.

Hope this helps
Nina
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
survivor. :)
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Points: 15,864, Level: 18 Points: 15,864, Level: 18 Points: 15,864, Level: 18

Re: I can never settle on a religion? - February 21st 2010, 05:20 PM

Hi Caspia,

You probably aren't doing something wrong. I have been back and forth as well, trying to find out what's what, it's something most people do. It's normal around this age to have doubts and struggle with what we believe.

It's good that you want to believe in God, I think it's positive that you know what you want to achieve. Is there anyone in your church (if you go to one) or around you that you could have a chat to about it? A pastor, youth worker, friend? Someone like that could help, as they are likely to have gone through a similar thing before.

In terms of praying, answers don't always come straight away. God waits for the right time to reveal himself to you. I never used to feel anything after praying, but more and more I'm understanding how God influences the things around us, so it may not seem like a direct answer or the answer you want, but perhaps it's happening.

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly do you pray for/about? Is there anything you can put your finger on around these times that could be the reason you fall away from God?

Keep searching <3

Last edited by Beautiful Disaster; February 21st 2010 at 05:21 PM. Reason: sorry, missed a word out!
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
l0stCause Offline
chaos walks
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 10,297, Level: 14 Points: 10,297, Level: 14 Points: 10,297, Level: 14

Re: I can never settle on a religion? - February 21st 2010, 05:38 PM

look even if there is a supirior being out there somewhere. i dout any 1 religion has got it figured out 100% we are all just guessing really, so whos to say u have to pick only 1 there your beliefs you decide what makes sence and what doesnt go with ur heart on this one

“Chaos is the score upon which reality is written.”
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: H

Points: 19,558, Level: 20 Points: 19,558, Level: 20 Points: 19,558, Level: 20

Re: I can never settle on a religion? - February 21st 2010, 08:10 PM

Who says you ever have to 'settle'? I see myself as religious, but I'm not going to ever claim that I know. My beliefs are my, very personal and private beliefs. My relationship with the universe is between me and it. I don't feel the need to tell anyone else about it, or to put a name on it or myself. Simply being religious is good enough for me.

If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires

(#6 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 24,983, Level: 22 Points: 24,983, Level: 22 Points: 24,983, Level: 22

Re: I can never settle on a religion? - February 22nd 2010, 02:37 AM

Hey Caspia. Welcome to TeenHelp.

I agree with everyone else that you are not doing anything wrong! Having faith in something that we cannot see, hear, or feel can be very difficult. I am going to be honest in that everytime I pray, I don't always "feel" something. I personally believe that God is with me and listening, but I do not always feel Him here with me. Just because you don't feel anything, or things in your life aren't changing does not mean that God isn't there for you or doesn't listen. He does! If you really want to believe in Him, then you can! Having a relationship with God is not easy, and you have to pray to Him and talk to Him. It takes work to maintain the relationship, but in order to have that relationship you must believe!

Keep working at it. Keep praying! You don't need to label yourself as a Christian, or a Catholic, or any specific religion for that matter yet. Your relationship with God needs to be built, and then He will help you figure the rest out!! I'll keep you in my prayers! Let me know if you need anything.

There is always hope. PM me anytime.
SH Free since 10.20.08
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Oddoneout Offline
Average Joe

Name: Daniel

Points: 11,579, Level: 15 Points: 11,579, Level: 15 Points: 11,579, Level: 15

Re: I can never settle on a religion? - February 22nd 2010, 02:43 AM

believe what you believe to be the truth don't believe in something out of fear or because you want it to be true

if you think there is a god then be religious if not then don't if you try to be something you arn't it will all be pointless

wanna talk?

AIM: oddoneout667
MSN: dancl667@hotmail.com

with or without religion a good person will do good and an evil one will do evil
Closed Thread