TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 22nd 2010, 09:16 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Do they? What do you think?

here lies the monster 8-13-06 to 2-19-10

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cleostar09 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: *Annastesia*

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 22nd 2010, 09:22 PM

It really depends on what you believe. I'm christian and the bible does say if you commit suicide then you would go to hell. I can't speak for anyone else because I do not know what they believe or where they are coming from...

Servatis a periculum...
Servatis a maleficum...
  Send a message via Yahoo to cleostar09  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ayak22 Offline
[Formerly LetGodArise/Ayak]
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 22nd 2010, 09:28 PM

^Verses, please? I've heard this before but I'm fairly sure that it says the only way to lose salvation is by blasphemy of the holy spirit.. and I don't think that suicide would mean hell.

InherentlyObvious/LetGodArise/AyakTwloha
Member since Sep '08
Always here to help.
To Write Love On Her Arms

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 22nd 2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleostar09 View Post
It really depends on what you believe. I'm christian and the bible does say if you commit suicide then you would go to hell. I can't speak for anyone else because I do not know what they believe or where they are coming from...
What you believe is what you hold to be TRUE. Thats the whole point behind a belief.

And I wouldn't think so. I would hope a reasonable God would look at circumstances surrounding it and not just blindly say "SUICIDE? HELL!!"

(#5 (permalink)) Old
falling_x Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Vicx

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 23rd 2010, 12:36 AM

My believes on this are quite simple ...

You are here to learn something ... what I like to call the 'life lesson' ... if you don't learn it for whatever reason ... you come back to learn it ...

I believe that your soul remembers everything from this life and past lives and that regardless of what happens in this life you come back to learn that lesson ...

sorry rambling ... back on topic! ... nope ... hell doesn't exist! well ... it does ... but its here on earth and our choices put us there! I personally think that each lesson is different and whether you commit suicide or not affects your coming back ...

So much for that idea ...

Want a chat? Get in touch ...

(#6 (permalink)) Old
John 6:29 Offline
Romans 2:6-8
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 23rd 2010, 12:37 AM

The Bible has no verses that say someone who commits suicide will go to hell.

If they are a saved by grace through faith they are sealed (guaranteed) with the promised Holy Spirit which is a gift of God that cannot be repented of You cannot lose salvation. Even if they commit suicide. All sins shall be forgive except the blaspheme of the Holy Spirit (rejecting salvation).

I think the better question to ask is can a Christian get to the point where they commit suicide. But either way, I believe that if they commit suicide and are saved they go to Heaven.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=954tx...layer_embedded watch that.
  Send a message via AIM to John 6:29 Send a message via MSN to John 6:29  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 23rd 2010, 01:23 AM

In my belief, yes.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 23rd 2010, 02:10 AM

"The Bible mentions six specific people who committed suicide: Abimelech (Judges 9:54), Saul (1 Samuel 31:4), Saul's armor-bearer (1 Samuel 31:4-6), Ahithophel (2 Samuel 17:23), Zimri (1 Kings 16:18), and Judas (Matthew 27:5). Five of them were wicked, sinful men (not enough is said regarding Saul's armor-bearer to make a judgment as to his character). Some consider Samson an instance of suicide (Judges 16:26-31), but Samson's goal was to kill the Philistines, not himself. The Bible views suicide as equal to murder, which is what it is—self-murder. God is the only one who is to decide when and how a person should die.

According to the Bible, suicide is not what determines whether a person gains entrance into heaven. If an unsaved person commits suicide, he has done nothing but “expedite” his journey to hell. However, that person who committed suicide will ultimately be in hell for rejecting salvation through Christ, not because he committed suicide. What does the Bible say about a Christian who commits suicide? The Bible teaches that from the moment we truly believe in Christ, we are guaranteed eternal life (John 3:16). According to the Bible, Christians can know beyond any doubt that they possess eternal life (1 John 5:13). Nothing can separate a Christian from God’s love (Romans 8:38-39). If no “created thing” can separate a Christian from God’s love, and even a Christian who commits suicide is a “created thing,” then not even suicide can separate a Christian from God’s love. Jesus died for all of our sins, and if a true Christian, in a time of spiritual attack and weakness, commits suicide, that would still be a sin covered by the blood of Christ.

Suicide is still a serious sin against God. According to the Bible, suicide is murder; it is always wrong. Serious doubts should be raised about the genuineness of faith of anyone who claimed to be a Christian yet committed suicide. There is no circumstance that can justify someone, especially a Christian, taking his/her own life. Christians are called to live their lives for God, and the decision on when to die is God’s and God’s alone. Although it is not describing suicide, 1 Corinthians 3:15 is probably a good description of what happens to a Christian who commits suicide: “He himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames.”"
Quoted From:
http://www.gotquestions.org/suicide-...christian.html

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 23rd 2010, 02:56 AM

Well I don’t believe in hell so I am going to say no. But I do believe you take a huge karma hit. And probably would be reincarnated not back into a human, but some other, less stressful animal.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 23rd 2010, 03:49 AM

Catholics believe suicide when committed in full knowledge is a complete turning away from God (a mortal sin) and will send a person to hell. But I am no one to judge the person who committed suicide, only God can.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 23rd 2010, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico View Post
Catholics believe suicide when committed in full knowledge is a complete turning away from God (a mortal sin) and will send a person to hell. But I am no one to judge the person who committed suicide, only God can.
I am not seeking to debate but can I ask what you believe the terminology of "seal" is. In Evangelical church we believe that it means you are sealed, meaning that it cannot be removed.

The Greek word is this:
σφραγίζω
sphragizō
sfrag-id'-zo
to stamp (with a signet or private mark) for security or preservation (literally or figuratively); by implication to keep secret, to attest: - (set a, set to) seal up, stop.

It means were secure and we will be preserved. I ask this because this is from the Catholic Bible (and most translations I'm aware of)

Ephesians 1:13-14
"In Him you also, when you had heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and had believed in Him, were marked with the seal of the promised Holy Spirit this is the pledge of our inheritance towards redemption as God's own people, to the praise of His glory." (NRSV)
In other words when you are saved your sealed with the Holy Spirit which is a gift and that gift is the promise of our inheritance in Heaven.

So we know the Holy Spirit is a gift from God (I can get some verses but I think you agree) which also His gifts cannot be removed:

Romans 11:29
"For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable." (NRSV)

When we are saved we are permanently saved. So in essence I'm asking, how can any sin send you to hell without disregarding these verses? So how can someone go to hell for suicide? Jesus said ALL sins will be forgiven except he blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. Salvation is also a GIFT from God (Ephesians 2:8). So how can it be revoked by a sin when Paul says gifts are irrevocable?

I don't mean to sound rude if I do, so if I am please forgive me. I'm just curious.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 23rd 2010, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugez View Post
What you believe is what you hold to be TRUE. Thats the whole point behind a belief.

And I wouldn't think so. I would hope a reasonable God would look at circumstances surrounding it and not just blindly say "SUICIDE? HELL!!"
QFT.

Personally, being an atheist, I think not. If you ask me to be hypothetical though, I think a loving god sends no one to hell. Similarly, if god does send all people who commit suicide to hell, I'll be suitably disgusted with god and choose hell of my own free will out of protest. But then that's nothing new.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 23rd 2010, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael. View Post
I am not seeking to debate but can I ask what you believe the terminology of "seal" is. In Evangelical church we believe that it means you are sealed, meaning that it cannot be removed.

The Greek word is this:
σφραγίζω
sphragizō
sfrag-id'-zo
to stamp (with a signet or private mark) for security or preservation (literally or figuratively); by implication to keep secret, to attest: - (set a, set to) seal up, stop.

It means were secure and we will be preserved. I ask this because this is from the Catholic Bible (and most translations I'm aware of)

Ephesians 1:13-14
"In Him you also, when you had heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and had believed in Him, were marked with the seal of the promised Holy Spirit this is the pledge of our inheritance towards redemption as God's own people, to the praise of His glory." (NRSV)
In other words when you are saved your sealed with the Holy Spirit which is a gift and that gift is the promise of our inheritance in Heaven.

So we know the Holy Spirit is a gift from God (I can get some verses but I think you agree) which also His gifts cannot be removed:

Romans 11:29
"For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable." (NRSV)

When we are saved we are permanently saved. So in essence I'm asking, how can any sin send you to hell without disregarding these verses? So how can someone go to hell for suicide? Jesus said ALL sins will be forgiven except he blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. Salvation is also a GIFT from God (Ephesians 2:8). So how can it be revoked by a sin when Paul says gifts are irrevocable?

I don't mean to sound rude if I do, so if I am please forgive me. I'm just curious.
No Mike you are correct. I missed an essential part in my writing. There are 3 conditions of a mortal sin:
1-grave matter
2- full knowledge
3- full consent
Suicide is always a big matter but people who commit suicide are not always in there right mind of what there are doing therefore, suicide is not automatically treated as a mortal sin. That’s why I said “when committed in full knowledge” you are breaking a commandment the 5th one. Life is a gift from God. Everyone is responsible for their life before God who has given it to him. It is God who remains the sovereign Master of life. To commit a mortal sin and you have to know that your action is a sin; and you have to be knowledgeable that God doesn’t want you to do it, and knowing that willingly disobeys God. We are commanded by Christ not to judge others so we leave final judgment to God who alone knows each person's heart.
I hope I made sense, and understood your question.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 23rd 2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico View Post

No Mike you are correct. I missed an essential part in my writing. There are 3 conditions of a mortal sin:
1-grave matter
2- full knowledge
3- full consent
Suicide is always a big matter but people who commit suicide are not always in there right mind of what there are doing therefore, suicide is not automatically treated as a mortal sin. That’s why I said “when committed in full knowledge” you are breaking a commandment the 5th one. Life is a gift from God. Everyone is responsible for their life before God who has given it to him. It is God who remains the sovereign Master of life. To commit a mortal sin and you have to know that your action is a sin; and you have to be knowledgeable that God doesn’t want you to do it, and knowing that willingly disobeys God. We are commanded by Christ not to judge others so we leave final judgment to God who alone knows each person's heart.
I hope I made sense, and understood your question.
In my opinion when we become saved our conscience is awaken and most sins we commit are conscience sins because we know have God in us. I don't know about you but when I became saved a second or so before I was about to sin I would have a warning go off in side me knowing it was wrong -- even though I'd sin. My point is, if the Spirit of God is in a person they should consciously know that they are sinning because the Bible gives no excuse to sin if you are saved.

Regardless, I don't fully understand. The reason being is because even if it is a "mortal sin," a Christian is still sealed with the Spirit which cannot be repented of from God. To me, I see what you're saying, but it also means that God can remove the Holy Spirit which I see as contradicting to the Bible. If I can lose my salvation then I'm not sealed and God can remove the Spirit for any reason what-so-ever even if it's not a mortal sin.

I don't know if you see what I'm saying. But it just seems kind of heretical to me. Maybe I'm misunderstanding. I think if your a Christian and commit suicide you'd still go to Heaven, but if not then you would go to hell. Maybe this is where the misunderstanding is. Anyways thanks for the explanation.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 23rd 2010, 03:50 PM

As a non-religious believer in God who has unfortunately been on both sides of this issue I've always thought of it this way:

People who consider suicide may consider the way they feel as Hell on Earth, if they see suicide as their only solution and go through with it, I don't see how God could condemn them to Hell for eternity just because they take the only escape route they can see out of their misery.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#16 (permalink)) Old
SubFocus Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 23rd 2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falling_x View Post
My believes on this are quite simple ...

You are here to learn something ... what I like to call the 'life lesson' ... if you don't learn it for whatever reason ... you come back to learn it ...

I believe that your soul remembers everything from this life and past lives and that regardless of what happens in this life you come back to learn that lesson ...

sorry rambling ... back on topic! ... nope ... hell doesn't exist! well ... it does ... but its here on earth and our choices put us there! I personally think that each lesson is different and whether you commit suicide or not affects your coming back ...

I totally agree with what your saying!!

& i personally believe that no you won't go to hell, as i believe hell doesn't exist.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 24th 2010, 04:56 AM

I believe that it is between God and the individual person. My uncle committed suicide and he proved to me that he's in Heaven.

There is always hope. PM me anytime.
SH Free since 10.20.08

(#18 (permalink)) Old
OhaiThere Offline
Jay and Boisterous Bob
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: John

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 24th 2010, 05:57 AM

Quote:
In my opinion when we become saved our conscience is awaken and most sins we commit are conscience sins because we know have God in us. I don't know about you but when I became saved a second or so before I was about to sin I would have a warning go off in side me knowing it was wrong -- even though I'd sin. My point is, if the Spirit of God is in a person they should consciously know that they are sinning because the Bible gives no excuse to sin if you are saved.

Regardless, I don't fully understand. The reason being is because even if it is a "mortal sin," a Christian is still sealed with the Spirit which cannot be repented of from God. To me, I see what you're saying, but it also means that God can remove the Holy Spirit which I see as contradicting to the Bible. If I can lose my salvation then I'm not sealed and God can remove the Spirit for any reason what-so-ever even if it's not a mortal sin.

I don't know if you see what I'm saying. But it just seems kind of heretical to me. Maybe I'm misunderstanding. I think if your a Christian and commit suicide you'd still go to Heaven, but if not then you would go to hell. Maybe this is where the misunderstanding is. Anyways thanks for the explanation.
By your explanation, a person who commits suicide cannot be a Christian, because it would require God to remove the "seal" of the Holy Spirit. If this is the case, then anyone who had considered themselves a Christian and committed suicide really wasn't a Christian at all, and thus, is going to hell.

I'd say (using a Christian viewpoint) that if you commit suicide, and you willing know that you are killing yourself, then, yes, you are committing a mortal sin and going to hell for not repenting before death.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 24th 2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhaiThere View Post
By your explanation, a person who commits suicide cannot be a Christian, because it would require God to remove the "seal" of the Holy Spirit. If this is the case, then anyone who had considered themselves a Christian and committed suicide really wasn't a Christian at all, and thus, is going to hell.
I don't see where you get that from my explanation.

I do not believe in mortal sins. This is a Catholic view, not a overall Christian view. Therefore, when one sins they are still sealed with the Holy Spirit even if sinning deliberately, which I believe all sin is deliberate. So if a mortal sin is deliberate than all sin is mortal and your salvation is not secure. I believe once saved always saved, but I'd have strong doubts about the salvation of one who did commit suicide -- though I believe it's possible for a saved person to commit suicide. And yes, they'd still go to Heaven because they are sealed with the Holy Spirit which cannot be taken away.

Question: "Can a Christian lose salvation?"

Answer: Before this question is answered, the term “Christian” must be defined. A “Christian” is not a person who has said a prayer, or walked down an aisle, or been raised in a Christian family. While each of these things can be a part of the Christian experience, they are not what “makes” a Christian. A Christian is a person who has, by faith, received and fully trusted in Jesus Christ as the only Savior (John 3:16; Acts 16:31; Ephesians 2:8-9).

So, with this definition in mind, can a Christian lose salvation? Perhaps the best way to answer this crucially important question is to examine what the Bible says occurs at salvation, and to study what losing salvation would therefore entail. Here are a few examples:

A Christian is a new creation. “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!” (2 Corinthians 5:17). This verse speaks of a person becoming an entirely new creature as a result of being “in Christ.” For a Christian to lose salvation, the new creation would have to be canceled and reversed.

A Christian is redeemed. “For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect” (1 Peter 1:18-19). The word “redeemed” refers to a purchase being made, a price being paid. For a Christian to lose salvation, God Himself would have to revoke His purchase that He paid for with the precious blood of Christ.

A Christian is justified. “Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ” (Romans 5:1). To “justify” means to “declare righteous.” All those who receive Jesus as Savior are “declared righteous” by God. For a Christian to lose salvation, God would have to go back on His Word and “un-declare” what He had previously declared.

A Christian is promised eternal life. “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16). Eternal life is a promise of eternity (forever) in heaven with God. God promises, “Believe and you will have eternal life.” For a Christian to lose salvation, eternal life would have to be taken away. If a Christian is promised to live forever, how then can God break this promise by taking away eternal life?

A Christian is guaranteed glorification. “And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified” (Romans 8:30). As we learned in Romans 5:1, justification is declared at the moment of faith. According to Romans 8:30, glorification is guaranteed for all those whom God justifies. Glorification refers to a Christian receiving a perfect resurrection body in heaven. If a Christian can lose salvation, then Romans 8:30 is in error, because God could not guarantee glorification for all those whom He predestines, calls, and justifies.

Many more illustrations of what occurs at salvation could be shared. Even these few make it abundantly clear that a Christian cannot lose salvation. Most, if not all, of what the Bible says happens to us when we receive Jesus Christ as Savior would be invalidated if salvation could be lost. Salvation cannot be reversed. A Christian cannot be un-newly created. Redemption cannot be undone. Eternal life cannot be lost and still be considered eternal. If a Christian can lose salvation, God would have to go back on His Word and change His mind—two things that Scripture tells us God never does.

The most frequent objections to the belief that a Christian cannot lose salvation are 1) What about those who are Christians and continually live an immoral lifestyle? 2) What about those who are Christians but later reject the faith and deny Christ? The problem with these two objections is the phrase “who are Christians.” The Bible declares that a true Christian will not live a continually immoral lifestyle (1 John 3:6). The Bible declares that anyone who departs the faith is demonstrating that he never truly was a Christian (1 John 2:19). Therefore, neither objection is valid. Christians do not continually live immoral lifestyles, nor do they reject the faith and deny Christ. Such actions are proof that they were never redeemed.

No, a Christian cannot lose salvation. Nothing can separate a Christian from God’s love (Romans 8:38-39). Nothing can remove a Christian from God’s hand (John 10:28-29). God is both willing and able to guarantee and maintain the salvation He has given us. Jude 24-25, “To Him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy—to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.”
-GotQuestions.org
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
OhaiThere Offline
Jay and Boisterous Bob
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 24th 2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
I don't see where you get that from my explanation.

I do not believe in mortal sins. This is a Catholic view, not a overall Christian view. Therefore, when one sins they are still sealed with the Holy Spirit even if sinning deliberately, which I believe all sin is deliberate. So if a mortal sin is deliberate than all sin is mortal and your salvation is not secure. I believe once saved always saved, but I'd have strong doubts about the salvation of one who did commit suicide -- though I believe it's possible for a saved person to commit suicide. And yes, they'd still go to Heaven because they are sealed with the Holy Spirit which cannot be taken away.
You contradict yourself several times in this.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 25th 2010, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhaiThere View Post
You contradict yourself several times in this.
I've stated one position. Perhaps your confusing my rebuttal for my position.

This is my position:
If saved, you cannot lose your salvation, therefore you will go to Heaven if you commit suicide. The part I'm questioning is whether the person who commits suicide had a genuine saving faith. If they did, then I will see them in Heaven. Even Samson committed suicide.
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Horsefeathers. Offline
Walk through the fire.
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Charlie

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 25th 2010, 09:13 AM

In my belief, no, as there is no Hell. What others believe is their choice. That's just what I think.

throw yourself into the unknown
with pace & a fury defiant.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 25th 2010, 10:17 AM

Hell exists if you believe in it, if you don't, then there is no hell. Simple as that.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Yale Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Yale Gerber

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 25th 2010, 06:47 PM

I have my own little belief, no clue if it's ever been mentioned or not. I believe you get one final chance when you die. Accept God, or don't. That will judge where you go.
Simple, no? :P

But in the end, the most important thing to accept is that no matter how alone you feel, how painful it may be, with the help of those around you, you'll get through this too.

(#25 (permalink)) Old
OhaiThere Offline
Jay and Boisterous Bob
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 25th 2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
I've stated one position. Perhaps your confusing my rebuttal for my position.

This is my position:
If saved, you cannot lose your salvation, therefore you will go to Heaven if you commit suicide. The part I'm questioning is whether the person who commits suicide had a genuine saving faith. If they did, then I will see them in Heaven. Even Samson committed suicide.
Ah, ok. That's what I was assuming you were trying to say, but I couldn't put it entirely together.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
WillO'Wisp Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 25th 2010, 10:25 PM

I personally do not believe in a heaven or a hell, a God or a Devil. I don't believe any of that exsists.
I think when people die their spirits leave their bodies, and stay on earth. It is the only way to explain ghosts, and there is more than enough proof in my own house that ghosts exsist. I don't believe they mean harm or are evil. They're just lost spirits.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Nina Twin Offline
So It Goes
Average Joe

Name: Marlie Elizabeth

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 26th 2010, 05:29 AM

I don't believe in Hell. I don't think, though, that if there were a God, He would just look at someone blindly and say, "You committed suicide, you're going to Hell." If God is all knowing and created everything, he would be more rational than that. I don't understand the hate that people claim is a characteristic of God. I don't think He would send a good person to Hell just because he or she committed suicide.

"Life should not be measured by how far we can fall, but how high we can climb."

Send a message via MSN to Nina Twin  
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
PhoenixAlive Offline
Mizu-Kun (Saito)'s Spouse
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 26th 2010, 09:24 PM

As Angelica Houston once said, "Nothing is final until you are dead. And even then, I'm sure that God negotiates."

None of us can know for certain. God judges, not us. His Holy Spirit may have written the words for us to live by, but even then, He is still the only one who can save or condemn us.

As for my opinion, I would hope that God would take every aspect of your life into consideration before making that decision. That is the least I would expect from a loving father.

(#29 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 26th 2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina Twin View Post
I don't believe in Hell. I don't think, though, that if there were a God, He would just look at someone blindly and say, "You committed suicide, you're going to Hell." If God is all knowing and created everything, he would be more rational than that. I don't understand the hate that people claim is a characteristic of God. I don't think He would send a good person to Hell just because he or she committed suicide.
Everyone's broken God's law. In essence there's none righteous, no not one. We're all Law breakers of the highest Law, God's Law. The wages of that is death, eternal separation from God in Hell. It's a matter of justice, not hate. If God let you in being a law breaker He'd be unjust because the fine has to be due. Yet by His love the justice was payed through His Son. Therefore, if you reject His Son, He'll reject you because you are essentially saying, "I'd rather pay my wages than be given a gift."
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
Pour the Teapot Offline
Train whistles and cicadas
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Chloe

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 26th 2010, 09:54 PM

i read a manga where people who commit suicide become 'shinigami', forebringers of death. it was a really good manga and the idea that 'you, who are shamed with the sin of suicide, are fated to be shinigami'. but at the end the main character, Mitsuki, calls them angels. i'm not saying that's my opinion, but that's what the manga said.

(btw the manga was Full Moon o Sagashite)

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 27th 2010, 03:16 AM

I don't think so.

(#32 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 27th 2010, 04:43 AM

I personally don't believe in hell, so I don't think that anyone goes to hell.

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#33 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 27th 2010, 05:34 AM

No I don't think so. But, I don't really want to say why because I don't want to get into a debate.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#34 (permalink)) Old
EmisaurusRex Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Em

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 27th 2010, 06:25 PM

I go back and forth a lot. It's one of those things that's pretty high up on the list of things to ask God. But, I always go back to "no." I don't think a loving father like God would automatically send someone to hell because they commited suicide. I think He knows what is truly going on. I don't think He'd judge a person for eternity based on one action, no matter how huge.

Great works are performed not by strength, but by perseverance.
PM me anytime <3

(#35 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 28th 2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepuzzlepiece View Post
I go back and forth a lot. It's one of those things that's pretty high up on the list of things to ask God. But, I always go back to "no." I don't think a loving father like God would automatically send someone to hell because they commited suicide. I think He knows what is truly going on. I don't think He'd judge a person for eternity based on one action, no matter how huge.
But he would judge non-believers as sinners and send them to hell for eternity for the one action of not believing (look through. If he's willing to do so due to one action such as non-believing, then that opens the possibility to him doing it for other single actions, including suicide.

(#36 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 28th 2010, 10:01 AM

I don't believe in God or hell so no. But if I were to believe in God, he wouldn't be sending to people to hell for commiting suicide. He would understand.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
You’re the diamonds, you’re the pearls
Let’s make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
It’s your future, it’s your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Let’s make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#37 (permalink)) Old
EmisaurusRex Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Em

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 28th 2010, 02:50 PM

Not believing is completely different. Way to twist my words around.

Great works are performed not by strength, but by perseverance.
PM me anytime <3

(#38 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 29th 2010, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepuzzlepiece View Post
Not believing is completely different. Way to twist my words around.
Not believing is one action, which makes it fit perfectly with what you said. Seeing as how you have a rebuttal, would you please state it instead of simply saying that I'm wrong without an explanation?

(#39 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 29th 2010, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!YOU'RE$NUCKING$FUTZ!!! View Post
Not believing is one action, which makes it fit perfectly with what you said. Seeing as how you have a rebuttal, would you please state it instead of simply saying that I'm wrong without an explanation?
Nick, though I'm confused about my faith recently, I will still attempt to put it in a logical formula.

Jesus said, "All sins of man will be forgiven except the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit."

Therefore, when Christ died everyone's sins were technically atoned for and everyone forgiven, yet not literally.

Why?

Because the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven. What is it? It's deny the salvation through Christ and receiving the Holy Spirit.

If you deny trusting Christ payed for your sins, then you've denied (blasphemed) the Holy Spirit and therefore you must pay your sins yourself because they are no longer atoned for.

Think of it like this:

A judge rules you guilty.
You go to jail.
The judge pays your fine.
You're free to leave the jail.
OR
You can say, "No thanks I'd rather pay the debt myself."
Therefore because you denied the judges payment you must stay in jail because you'd rather pay the penalty of your lawlessness.

The same is with God. He is offering you salvation from the wages of your sin, so you can either accept it or reject it. If you accept it, you're off the hook. If you reject it, you'll pay for it yourself. How do you accept it? You receive it by believing (John 1:12).

I'm a little tired but I posted this earlier. Maybe it'll make more sense if you skipped it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewithoutYou View Post
Everyone's broken God's law. In essence there's none righteous, no not one. We're all Law breakers of the highest Law, God's Law. The wages of that is death, eternal separation from God in Hell. It's a matter of justice, not hate. If God let you in being a law breaker He'd be unjust because the fine has to be due. Yet by His love the justice was payed through His Son. Therefore, if you reject His Son, He'll reject you because you are essentially saying, "I'd rather pay my wages than be given a gift."
  (#40 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Do people who commit suicide go to Hell - March 29th 2010, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewithoutYou View Post
Jesus said, "All sins of man will be forgiven except the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit."

Therefore, when Christ died everyone's sins were technically atoned for and everyone forgiven, yet not literally.

Why?

Because the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven. What is it? It's deny the salvation through Christ and receiving the Holy Spirit.

If you deny trusting Christ payed for your sins, then you've denied (blasphemed) the Holy Spirit and therefore you must pay your sins yourself because they are no longer atoned for.

Think of it like this:

A judge rules you guilty.
You go to jail.
The judge pays your fine.
You're free to leave the jail.
OR
You can say, "No thanks I'd rather pay the debt myself."
Therefore because you denied the judges payment you must stay in jail because you'd rather pay the penalty of your lawlessness.

The same is with God. He is offering you salvation from the wages of your sin, so you can either accept it or reject it. If you accept it, you're off the hook. If you reject it, you'll pay for it yourself. How do you accept it? You receive it by believing (John 1:12).
Would committing suicide then fall under the same thing of denying the holy spirit because you've put yourself before everything in the world and if you did believe in god, you're acting with utmost selfishness, would it be akin to denying the holy spirit? It seems as though you throw away your relation with god when you reject him and you throw away your life god gave you when you kill yourself, so I'm not seeing a problem with the argument.

With regard to onepuzzlepiece's argument though, suicide and disbelief of god are one action and I see no way for disbelief to be multiple actions.

Closed Thread