TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
msbunnykins Offline
Obsessive cat owner.
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 10,808, Level: 15 Points: 10,808, Level: 15 Points: 10,808, Level: 15

Red face What does your religion (or lack there of) bring to your life? - January 9th 2009, 11:36 AM

Hi all,

Since all of our beautiful topics got washed away (*sniffle*, but I think it's for the best, new discussions, yaaaay!) I've been trying to think what we can talk about here in the religion forum without really repeating what has already been said.

So, I'm wondering what does your religion really bring to your life? How does what you believe affect your everyday life, and how you treat people? Can you imagine not having your faith (or vice versa) in your life, and what would it be like, how would you feel, etc?

I think this could offer a good insite as to how everyone really feels about their faiths, and hopefully we can all gather an understanding of just what different faiths do for different people.

I am not actually officially part of my faith, as I have no declared myself, and for other reasons, but I basicially count myself part of the Baha'i Faith. I suppose a Baha'i N00b would be the best term to use for me, haha. I have never had a faith before this, and went from being athiest to agnostic, to where I am now. As for what my faith brings to my life... I think it really makes me want to work towards being a better, more tolerant, human being. I think it has opened my eyes, and really make me realize that I need to educate myself on the world and all of the different people out there. It has also offered me a way to really not be so hard on myself, and learn to love who I am but know that I can always improve, and need to. I think it has also kind of connected everything that I have believed in previously, so therefore I don't feel so scattered all over the place. I think that finding my faith really improved my life, and I think it can only continue to do so.

So, overall, I think my faith has brought more tolerance, patience, understanding, education, and hope into my life.

Once I become officially part of my faith, I will also become a lot more involved in a large community, which is great. So.. that's what my faith means to me!

Hopefully everyone will share their experiences with their faiths, as I would love to hear what everyone has to say!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Points: 25,325, Level: 23 Points: 25,325, Level: 23 Points: 25,325, Level: 23

Re: What does your religion (or lack there of) bring to your life? - January 9th 2009, 11:39 AM

Nothing to be honest.

I treat others as I'd like to be treated
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Pandaloo Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 11,778, Level: 15 Points: 11,778, Level: 15 Points: 11,778, Level: 15

Re: What does your religion (or lack there of) bring to your life? - January 9th 2009, 11:40 AM

I guess you could say i was agnostic, but i'm still open minded to religions and such. I personally just find it hard to believe in something that there isn't any proof of, as much as it would help me be a better person to have faith is.

However i'm a pretty small believer in karma, i like to think it exists to motivate me to be a better person, i don't try to think too much about Karma, because i'll end up not believing in it anymore, and i won't be a good person. If that makes sense, i don't think it does.

Basically, faith can help you do good things and be a good person, and thats what i try to do.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26

Re: What does your religion (or lack there of) bring to your life? - January 9th 2009, 11:41 AM

A sense of comfort, hope, faith and knowledge. I felt so lost before I found my path, my faith has given me a sense of direction and purpose in life.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Points: 14,981, Level: 17 Points: 14,981, Level: 17 Points: 14,981, Level: 17

Re: What does your religion (or lack there of) bring to your life? - January 9th 2009, 12:12 PM

Well I follow Satanism, but that's more a philosophy/way of living than religion, IMO. I suppose it gives me a sense of freedom, choice, and most importantly responsibility that I didn't feel I had when I was following religion.

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Chelsey-Ella Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chelsey-Ella

Points: 9,665, Level: 14 Points: 9,665, Level: 14 Points: 9,665, Level: 14

Re: What does your religion (or lack there of) bring to your life? - January 9th 2009, 05:56 PM

This sounds really silly but a couple of weeks ago I decided to become Christian. I know thats not the way it works but although Im Christened I never called myself a Christian. Im unsure of what I believe in and where my belief are taking me but I gnerally believe that there is something, and this hope that what ever it is and whatever religion it is keeps me going and gives me some kind of faith.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Points: 27,365, Level: 23 Points: 27,365, Level: 23 Points: 27,365, Level: 23

Re: What does your religion (or lack there of) bring to your life? - January 9th 2009, 06:25 PM

My lack of caring has brought me my origionalty and down-to-earthness of which I am actually very proud of.

To explain, I don't care at all. I don't CARE if a god, gods, explosion, aliens, whatever created us and our earth. Whatever happened, happened. And it's over. So it doesn't matter to me. I live for me, not some god or explotion.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
blacksnow Offline
An Awesome Member
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Blacksnow

Points: 9,782, Level: 14 Points: 9,782, Level: 14 Points: 9,782, Level: 14

Re: What does your religion (or lack there of) bring to your life? - January 9th 2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsey-Ella View Post
This sounds really silly but a couple of weeks ago I decided to become Christian. I know thats not the way it works but although Im Christened I never called myself a Christian. Im unsure of what I believe in and where my belief are taking me but I gnerally believe that there is something, and this hope that what ever it is and whatever religion it is keeps me going and gives me some kind of faith.

Just make sure that you take assumptions. I mean, don't assume that because you believe there is a God, then Jesus is God as well.

So my religious story started out with nothing ... then 'christian'. I believed that there was a creator and just assumed that Jesus was God as well. This caused ALOT of heart ache because no one explained to me that you can believe in one and not the other. Then I figured out why chrisitanity wasn't working for me and dropped the label.

At the moment I believe that God is the universe, He/She/It is everything and everywhere. I think all religions have a different perspective on God but none of them are wrong. They are just looking at different aspects of God.

This has bought me peace and it's given me understanding and self confidence. I no longer have the fear of what will happen to me because I don't believe in Jesus, which was the main reason why I was trying to force myself to believe that he is 'here' today.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Whaaatever Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 10,227, Level: 14 Points: 10,227, Level: 14 Points: 10,227, Level: 14

Re: What does your religion (or lack there of) bring to your life? - January 9th 2009, 07:16 PM

To the person above: *+++ respect points*

Personally, my beliefs don't really affect me, well not in a positive manner. I remain pretty open minded to everything, but I can only find it interesting up to the point it becomes rubbish in my eyes.

If anything, it brings me down.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
FastForward2012 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Ellie

Points: 14,669, Level: 17 Points: 14,669, Level: 17 Points: 14,669, Level: 17

Re: What does your religion (or lack there of) bring to your life? - January 9th 2009, 07:25 PM

Being a Christian gives me a sense of feeling loved. Dealing with depression, I often feel unwanted. But I know that Jesus loves me no matter what I do. I know that he always has my back. Now of course,sometimes I forget that. But when I remember, it makes me feel so happy to know that even if I forget,he still loves me and cares about me. Once you give your life to Jesus, he will take all your burdens and make them disappear. Yeah, he's that amazing. <3

To Write Love On Her Arms<3
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
msbunnykins Offline
Obsessive cat owner.
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 10,808, Level: 15 Points: 10,808, Level: 15 Points: 10,808, Level: 15

Re: What does your religion (or lack there of) bring to your life? - January 9th 2009, 08:32 PM

Grizabella
Quote:
Well I follow Satanism, but that's more a philosophy/way of living than religion, IMO. I suppose it gives me a sense of freedom, choice, and most importantly responsibility that I didn't feel I had when I was following religion.
I'm glad that you have found something good in your faith. I don't actually know anything about Satanism, so would you mind telling me a bit about it? (Either here or in PM) I do really try to find out as much as I can about different faiths (or, in this case, philosophies) because there are often times a lot of misconceptions about them, and asking a follower is the best way to go. But, I do know that Satanism is often frowned upon and looked at like some crazy cult, but I'm glad that you, finding the path you want to follow, didn't let that affect your choice.

Chelsey-Ella
Quote:
It doesn't sound silly at all, congratulations on your new faith. If you are unsure of your faith, though, I would advise looking at other world religions, after all a lot of them are very intertwined and learning about different things is never bad. You may also find something that fits better, especially if you decide to stay within the Christian realm, because there are a ton of Christian sects out there.

blacksnow
Quote:
Just make sure that you take assumptions. I mean, don't assume that because you believe there is a God, then Jesus is God as well.

So my religious story started out with nothing ... then 'christian'. I believed that there was a creator and just assumed that Jesus was God as well. This caused ALOT of heart ache because no one explained to me that you can believe in one and not the other. Then I figured out why chrisitanity wasn't working for me and dropped the label.

At the moment I believe that God is the universe, He/She/It is everything and everywhere. I think all religions have a different perspective on God but none of them are wrong. They are just looking at different aspects of God.

This has bought me peace and it's given me understanding and self confidence. I no longer have the fear of what will happen to me because I don't believe in Jesus, which was the main reason why I was trying to force myself to believe that he is 'here' today.

That is the biggest mistake with Christianity, and followers understanding of it. Jesus is not God, he is a Prophet of God. But, people are taught that Jesus litereally is God, and takes the place of him, which is completely wrong. I do believe in Jesus, though I am not Christian, but I'm glad to realized the error in the past religion, and learned from it instead of continuing to head in the wrong direction. Most people do not, and that is how things become even more twisted and tangled up.

Whaaatever:
Quote:
To the person above: *+++ respect points*

Personally, my beliefs don't really affect me, well not in a positive manner. I remain pretty open minded to everything, but I can only find it interesting up to the point it becomes rubbish in my eyes.

If anything, it brings me down.
Why do you say that? I think if you have a faith (or choose not to have one) then it should make a positive influence on your life. What faith are you, and why does it bring you down? If you're not happy with your faith, I highly suggest studying others to find the right fit. There are thousands of faiths out there (not that you have to research every single one of them!), and often times if we are brought up in a religion, or not taught about the outside world then we can become very confused in what we believe.

Quote:
Being a Christian gives me a sense of feeling loved. Dealing with depression, I often feel unwanted. But I know that Jesus loves me no matter what I do. I know that he always has my back. Now of course,sometimes I forget that. But when I remember, it makes me feel so happy to know that even if I forget,he still loves me and cares about me. Once you give your life to Jesus, he will take all your burdens and make them disappear. Yeah, he's that amazing. <3
I'm glad your faith offers you comfort. Not having a faith before, I really learned that having one now really helps through tough times.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Angel Offline
The final horcrux
I've been here a while

Points: 23,828, Level: 22 Points: 23,828, Level: 22 Points: 23,828, Level: 22

Re: What does your religion (or lack there of) bring to your life? - January 9th 2009, 08:43 PM

Hope. It brings me hope and purpose to my life, and also a desire to do good and help others.

"Years ago, I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices."

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Whaaatever Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 10,227, Level: 14 Points: 10,227, Level: 14 Points: 10,227, Level: 14

Re: What does your religion (or lack there of) bring to your life? - January 9th 2009, 08:51 PM

Hummm, I didn't really want to elaborate, but I'll just pop this here before I try to go to sleep. I've pretty much looked at all the major religions, even the satanism mentioned above which I followed for a while (it really is interesting). It's not satanism in the sense of slaughtering kittens and such, I'm sure you could wiki it. :]

Anyway, religion brings me down in most cases since everything's just going in a silly loop we can't hope to ever comprehend in our lifetimes. This is why I'm so annoyed with people who simply accept their religion, I feel they're lucky that they can do so, but still they annoy me. Not being judgemental helps, but it's pretty obvious what they're thinking. Anyway, as Blacksnow said - believing God is everything. I feel that's the source of pretty much everything, religion is only a way for us as humans to try and comprehend everything that we can't, yet it puts limits on people and stops them from trying to understand everything - they feel they can just accept it. If we don't try to understand the 'bigger picture', don't you think it's meaningless to continue existing?

I'm generalising a lot here, since I know all people aren't like this, but you can't tell me that the majority isn't like that. And that in itself is one of the things that drive me into my depression. :/
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
TheKnight Offline
TheKnight
Average Joe

Name: Daniel

Points: 10,107, Level: 14 Points: 10,107, Level: 14 Points: 10,107, Level: 14

Re: What does your religion (or lack there of) bring to your life? - January 9th 2009, 08:52 PM

My religion (Chassidut AKA Orthodox Judaism) is what I believe to be the truth. It provides me with wisdom and with happiness. It motivates me and inspires me. It gives me purpose and pleasure. I am very glad to have found the gem of my religion (I used to be a Christian).

I swear never to be silent whenever wherever human beings are enduring suffering and humiliation. We must take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Sometimes we must interfere. When human lives are endangered, when human dignity is in jeopardy, national borders and sensitivities become irrelevant. Wherever men and women are persecuted because of their race, religion, or political views, that place must — at that moment — become the center of the universe.

-Elie Wiesel

Jewish Resources:
AskMoses
JLaw
JewFaq
Aish
CHaBaD
AskNoah
CounterMissionary Lecture Series
Anti-Missionary Handbook
The Real Messiah
Kabbalah
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Khadra Offline
got hitched!! <3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kathlene

Points: 16,575, Level: 18 Points: 16,575, Level: 18 Points: 16,575, Level: 18

Re: What does your religion (or lack there of) bring to your life? - January 9th 2009, 09:15 PM

I think being agnostic brings open-mindedness to my life. Because I realize I do not and will likely never have the answer, I am open to and enjoy learning about all possibilities.

It's not socialism. It's CIVILIZATION.
- a woman from Denmark (the happiest country on Earth)

Once you choose hope, anything is possible - Christopher Reeves

Drop a pm in my box if you ever need anything. I'll always do my best to help! <3
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
TibbySkye Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Tibby

Points: 12,151, Level: 16 Points: 12,151, Level: 16 Points: 12,151, Level: 16

Re: What does your religion (or lack there of) bring to your life? - January 9th 2009, 09:22 PM

God and Christ bring me faith, comfort when I panic, strength, freedom (it's my choice), humility, calm, hope, love. I'd be dead without Him for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontGiveUpHope View Post
Well said, Gina! Very true.
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
WhySoSerious? Offline
Mute Poet
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Vicki

Points: 13,107, Level: 16 Points: 13,107, Level: 16 Points: 13,107, Level: 16

Re: What does your religion (or lack there of) bring to your life? - January 9th 2009, 10:34 PM

I'm an Atheist (or, possibly agnostic I'm sort of between the two), but I find that religion in general gives me something to kind of take an outsider's interest in, I've been to bible camp and such and have friends of all kinds of religions, and I always feel like I've gained something when I've learned something new about someone's beliefs, it gives me a sense of open-mindedness. Also, not having a religion gives me a feeling of standing on solid ground, letting scientific facts be that ground.

~Where death is I am not, where I am death is not, so we never meet~

I'd rather die terrified

than live forever.
We will all die so gloriously, that having ever lived will seem like folly.
-Asofterworld

(#18 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I've been here a while

Name: Brittney

Points: 21,441, Level: 21 Points: 21,441, Level: 21 Points: 21,441, Level: 21

Re: What does your religion (or lack there of) bring to your life? - January 9th 2009, 10:54 PM

I think it brings me comfort, mostly in knowing that there is a better place in Heaven for when I pass away and for when my family and friends pass. I've lost quite a few people and knowing that I believe in Heaven makes it easier because I know they are in a better place. I also feel like I have a greater purpose that I don't know about yet.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Sunshine☮ Offline
run til the sun burns out
Not a n00b

Name: Amber

Points: 10,043, Level: 14 Points: 10,043, Level: 14 Points: 10,043, Level: 14

Re: What does your religion (or lack there of) bring to your life? - January 9th 2009, 11:07 PM

Well, my religion gives me hope. When I'm nervous, stressed, depressed, whatever... I pray and feel better because at least when I pray I feel like there's someone there to help me and I'm not alone. I feel like it's some strength and it just allows me to feel that I have some help in my life when I really need it. My religion also gives me the peace of knowing that I can go somewhere peaceful after I die and it allows me to feel that God has a path for me. So when bad things happen I find it easier to accept because it must be part of what has been set out for me; it allows me to think more along the lines of 'everything happens for a reason', instead of being entirely depressed.

:)

formerly know as Dori

most of the shadows of this life are caused
by our standing in our own
sunshine

(#20 (permalink)) Old
TheWhiteTornado Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jack

Points: 16,004, Level: 18 Points: 16,004, Level: 18 Points: 16,004, Level: 18

Re: What does your religion (or lack there of) bring to your life? - January 9th 2009, 11:25 PM

Just the thought that there's God watching over me makes me wonder if he'd be proud of what i try to do to help people and gives me that whole floating feeling in your stomach when i feel like i've done something good for the right reason and have really helped someone,
haven't felt a better feeling ever
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
SuthrnSftblGrl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 9,714, Level: 14 Points: 9,714, Level: 14 Points: 9,714, Level: 14

Re: What does your religion (or lack there of) bring to your life? - January 10th 2009, 12:43 AM

I'm a Pentecostal Christian and there ain't nobody on this earth who loves me like God does, nobody has been good to me like He has, nobody is like Him, nothing can take the peace I feel when I'm in His presence. Nobody can tell me He isn't real. He's the reason I wake up in the morning. He's the reason I have everything I have. When I mess up my parents chastise me, but when I fall from the right hand of God, He catches me with His left. He's brought me through every storm. His grace is sufficient.

There is nothing in this world like God's spirit coming down and touching me. It means everything to me. When I go to sleep I know He's covering me and when I wake up I know it's only because of Him. I'll never be where I want to be with God, I always want more. The need to help, teach, understand, and love people overpowers me. I'll stand up for God if I have to die doing so.

God is my everything. <3
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
KCisforMe Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Matt

Points: 9,805, Level: 14 Points: 9,805, Level: 14 Points: 9,805, Level: 14

Re: What does your religion (or lack there of) bring to your life? - January 10th 2009, 01:11 AM

My spiritual beliefs are a medley of old world eastern and western religions as well as new age beliefs and psychedelic insights. That's as far as I'm going into it now.

But basically my beliefs (or rather assumptions as I call them) allow me to live in the world right now. They help me to live each day moment by moment, rather than thinking about the future or the past too much. I try to live in a zen like state where I appreciate everything for exactly what it is, trying not to muddy it up with my preconceived notions.

This has really helped me a lot. I'm much more social than I was and I no longer have the fears and anxieties that I used to have. I just don't care about that anymore, because really, there's no reason I should in the first place.

I guess basically to sum up what my beliefs do. They are empowering.
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Banshee Prince Offline
One day I am gonna grow wings
Average Joe

Name: Nash

Points: 10,873, Level: 15 Points: 10,873, Level: 15 Points: 10,873, Level: 15

Re: What does your religion (or lack there of) bring to your life? - January 10th 2009, 01:35 AM

I'm Agnostic. Or as a friend has said, "Kenzie's apathetic."
I'm not really Agnostic in the way of believing there is no proof either way about a higher power, though I do believe that too, but more in the way that I don't believe it should matter (therefore why my friend calls me apathetic instead of agnostic). I just decided about a year ago that I didn't want to live for a higher power, especially because it's existence is questionable, but I'd much rather live my life for myself and everybody/everything that I care about and love.

So I will find my fears and face them
I will cower like a dog
I will kick and scream
I will kneel and plead
I'll fight like hell to hide that I'm givin' up
Another Travelin' Song ||| Bright Eyes
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
Slyth Offline
Pronounced sl-eye-th
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Slyth

Points: 9,751, Level: 14 Points: 9,751, Level: 14 Points: 9,751, Level: 14

Re: What does your religion (or lack there of) bring to your life? - January 10th 2009, 12:22 PM

Honestly? My religion brings me laughter. I watch all of these people do crazy things for their mystical sky-man, and live their entire lives in denial as good little zombies. It's funny.

My religion (I won't use the word faith because there isn't any faith here, only knowledge) provides answers, and that keeps me going.

I'm cool because I don't have a sig.
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Elf Offline
flying and skying
Not a n00b

Name: Anne

Points: 10,108, Level: 14 Points: 10,108, Level: 14 Points: 10,108, Level: 14

Re: What does your religion (or lack there of) bring to your life? - January 10th 2009, 12:30 PM

It's helped me to realize that I need to be active in pursuing what I want, that I can't just wait for some god to drop it in my lap. And now I'm making the most out of this life, because I believe this is all we have.

Other than that, however, my life is fairly unchanged. I still try to treat people as I would want to be treated. I still try to turn the other cheek. I still try to love the people around me as best I can, as well as myself.

and it works for me just fine. :]

be thankful for what you have
and you'll end up having more.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Points: 14,830, Level: 17 Points: 14,830, Level: 17 Points: 14,830, Level: 17

Re: What does your religion (or lack there of) bring to your life? - January 10th 2009, 04:05 PM

It hasn't changed me as a person to go from Christian to Agnostic. The only difference is that I feel more like an individual. I feel more free. I'm happy about my beliefs (or lack thereof.)

I'm still an ethical person. I try to be forgiving, trustworthy, and honest. I try to support other people, and I try to make good choices.

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
Acheron Offline
El Tigre
I've been here a while

Points: 26,815, Level: 23 Points: 26,815, Level: 23 Points: 26,815, Level: 23

Re: What does your religion (or lack there of) bring to your life? - January 10th 2009, 05:00 PM

Atheism lets me sleep in on Sunday mornings.
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Monica

Points: 9,703, Level: 14 Points: 9,703, Level: 14 Points: 9,703, Level: 14

Re: What does your religion (or lack there of) bring to your life? - January 12th 2009, 12:18 AM

well i value relationship over religion. you can call yourself a christian and go to church every sunday and have no connection to God. what matters more is your relationship with god monday-saturday. anyways i call myself a christian. for most of my life i was catholic and two years ago i started attending a christian church instead. i dont follow any denomination of christianity 100%. im still searching for what i call my "perfect religion" which is basically the closest form of christianity i can find to fit my beliefs on God, life, and the afterlife.

well to answer the actual question my relationship with Christ brings a lot to my life. today was one of those days for me where i just sat back and marveled at how wonderful He is. if you met me you'd probably have no idea how much I love Christ. im not one of those people that attend youth groups and retreats... i dont even go to church every sunday but i love God and my relationship with Him is strong. i pray and talk to God everyday. you'd be amazed at how powerful prayer really is if you give it a try. "ask and you will recieve and your joy will be complete". those words couldn't be any truer. and at first it may seem like your prayer wasn't answered but trust however God chose to deal with whatever problem you were facing is better than w/e suggestion you had and sometimes something that seems like a bad thing can be a blessing in disguise. i've been through a lot of shit in my life and without my faith in Christ and his love for me i wouldn't be here today because there were times where i felt like i had no one... except Him because he's the one part of my life i can always count on to be there. knowing that God loves me and all he has done for me also inspires me to be a better person. i feel like i owe him. i mean he gave up his life for me (and you) and so it seems foolish of me to just throw away the life he gave me and waste it. i dont want to leave this world and have Christ think he died on the cross for nothing.

<3 Monica
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
R.K. Offline
Sweet Lord of the Rings!
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 12,319, Level: 16 Points: 12,319, Level: 16 Points: 12,319, Level: 16

Re: What does your religion (or lack there of) bring to your life? - January 12th 2009, 07:33 AM

Nothing. It's a LACK OF BELIEFS in God(s).

Quote:
Atheism lets me sleep in on Sunday mornings.
Along with having no objective morality & being able to eat babies for fun

(#30 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 13,394, Level: 16 Points: 13,394, Level: 16 Points: 13,394, Level: 16

Re: What does your religion (or lack there of) bring to your life? - January 12th 2009, 02:56 PM

I can't convey with words what my faith has given me, or rather, allowed me to give myself. I see beauty in everything, especially nature. I have compassion for myself and others more and more. I am not so worried about everything, and I am better able to enjoy life.

These are feelings more than principles, and that is why I can't show you all.

Closed Thread