TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous. Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 19,352, Level: 20 Points: 19,352, Level: 20 Points: 19,352, Level: 20

Religion...? - March 8th 2009, 12:56 AM

How do I start this? What exactly is religion?

My dad is very, very religious. He is a Baptist, which I assume is a very, very religious form of Christianity. Am I right? Anyways, he had always forced my sister and I to go to church and I don't want to go. Does that make me not a Christian? I don't want to get Baptised and there is a long story as to why. My parents are divorced and I am no longer forced to go to church, but he still talks to me constantly about God. He wants me to believe in Him so much, but I don't really know. My dad says that believeing in him and doing all the religious stuff is the only way to be happy. I know that's not true. I am already on the road to happiness. I guess what I am really asking is that do you have to follow a religion? I know I am a Christian, but I don't believe in being as religious as my dad. My dad is probably so religious that he wuld praise God for finding a penny on the ground. I don't really believe in being that religious. My dad finally figured that out. I guess I'm telling you this because I want to find myself and I don't know which way to go.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
swimmer92 Offline
Average Joe

Name: KP

Points: 10,851, Level: 15 Points: 10,851, Level: 15 Points: 10,851, Level: 15

Re: Religion...? - March 8th 2009, 01:03 AM

I used to go to church with my family and it didnt do much but then I went through some hard times and God was the one to pull me out of the hell I was in. And I dont believe myself as religious. To be truely happy is to have a relationship with the lord. And I have a very strong one and im the happiest I have ever been. So no, you dont have to follow a religion. You dont have to go to church, you dont have to participate in any ceremonies. But the only way to heaven is to believe in him and live for him.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Points: 25,325, Level: 23 Points: 25,325, Level: 23 Points: 25,325, Level: 23

Re: Religion...? - March 8th 2009, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer92 View Post
To be truely happy is to have a relationship with the lord..
NO! Do not even try and present that as a fact. Atheists can be happy and contribute to science a damn lot more than religious people do (atheists are disproportionately numerous in professional jobs such as doctors and lawyers etc)

Ignore your dad, if you can be happy without being bigoted and close-minded then you don't need religion to be happy.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
swimmer92 Offline
Average Joe

Re: Religion...? - March 8th 2009, 01:18 AM

Quote:
NO! Do not even try and present that as a fact
I know what I believe is the truth so I would appreciate it if you would stop throwing down everything I say. And I do know its a fact. You can't deny my testimony. He has healed me of mental illnesses took away a tumor that was in my leg, and so much more. I have seen people get healed of cancer right before my eyes.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Points: 25,325, Level: 23 Points: 25,325, Level: 23 Points: 25,325, Level: 23

Re: Religion...? - March 8th 2009, 01:28 AM

Quote:
I know what I believe is the truth so I would appreciate it if you would stop throwing down everything I say. And I do know its a fact. You can't deny my testimony. He has healed me of mental illnesses took away a tumor that was in my leg, and so much more. I have seen people get healed of cancer right before my eyes.
I'd appreciate it if you did not imply that my life was fundamentally incomplete and that I can never be happy simply from being atheist

Osama Bin Laden believed the reasons behind 9/11 were the truth. If this is so why should his views be any more or any less valid than yours. Isn't hearing things from an unknown source considered a symptom of multiple personality disorder? I'll gladly take another look at religion if there is proven evidence that God is behind it or even if rational explanations do not work
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Religion...? - March 8th 2009, 01:36 AM

Not to be rude or selfish or anything...but can you guys not fight?

I was just trying to find my own way and I don't think God is the way exactly...so, don't try to convince me of that.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
swimmer92 Offline
Average Joe

Re: Religion...? - March 8th 2009, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiChloe View Post
Not to be rude or selfish or anything...but can you guys not fight?

I was just trying to find my own way and I don't think God is the way exactly...so, don't try to convince me of that.
Im really sorry. I told him that I dont want to argue. If you truely dont believe God is the way thats fine.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Rican Roll Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 10,216, Level: 14 Points: 10,216, Level: 14 Points: 10,216, Level: 14

Re: Religion...? - March 8th 2009, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Sorry, but Sonic is kinda right on this. The implications you are making are incredibly rude. While it's nice that you find happiness in 'the lord' it isn't the end all be all. Some of us find more than enough happiness in life just fine on different paths. Also, be sure to equally thank your doctors for their contribution with the safe removal of your tumor and the assistance of reviving your mental stability.

At any rate, the secret to happiness is to make your own choices and walk your own path. Everyone is different and different things work for different people. Just try and find the path that works for you Nikki.

Your life is yours alone, rise up and live it.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Don't give up, turn to JESUS!!
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: suniesha

Points: 15,287, Level: 18 Points: 15,287, Level: 18 Points: 15,287, Level: 18

Re: Religion...? - March 8th 2009, 06:10 AM

[quote=Hyper Sonic;75405]NO! Do not even try and present that as a fact. Atheists can be happy.quote]

I agree with you, even though I'm a Christian.. But to answer the post alot of people who have religious parents aren't religious because most are forced, IF you believe in God you have to find Him on you're own terms not anyone elses to be completely honest with you... So tell you're dad you'll think about it and leave it at that, if he keeps asking keep saying I'm still thinking about it.

2nd cor. 5:13
GREAT HOPE COMES FROM FAITH IN GOD!!!!

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Kryptonite Offline
Hmph
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Points: 17,038, Level: 18 Points: 17,038, Level: 18 Points: 17,038, Level: 18

Re: Religion...? - March 9th 2009, 07:30 PM

Guys, remember the differences between a support topic in this forum and a debate topic. This was intended to be a support topic, so keep it that way.

You not wanting to go to church doesn't disqualify you for being a Christian. It's a personal choice.

Alex
[Click to PM me.]

"If I go crazy then will you still
call me Superman
If I’m alive and well, will you be
There holding my hand
I’ll keep you by my side
With my superhuman might...
Kryptonite"

<3

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Religion...? - March 10th 2009, 08:02 PM

I talked to my dad about it and he didn't understand...How can I tell him? I told him last night and I stood up for myself for the first time and he just put me down. Now, he wants me to talk to him today...what do I do? I don't want to talk to him!
Closed Thread