TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Symmy Offline
Symmy
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Symantha

Points: 8,260, Level: 13 Points: 8,260, Level: 13 Points: 8,260, Level: 13

Why is Religion Such a Huge Deal? - May 28th 2011, 10:36 PM

Hello. I am an atheist and I am confused as to why everyone believes the church so confidently? I'm not arguing or fighting the church, but I've never gone and I want some more perspectives.

In my world, the Bible is just another book. No one has ever explained why it is so convincing. If the Bible tells truth, then why don't we believe in other books like The Odyssey, or even more modern stuff like Harry Potter? What makes the Bible different? I feel like I don't know enough about the church to confidently tell my Christian friends that i am atheist.

What makes things that happened 2000 years ago so much more true than science? Science is more modern, even if it does not explain enough. Just because we are the most intelligent animal on the planet does not mean that we know everything. I feel that we are imperfect in the way that we insist on having an explanation for everything. Why does it matter if we know what happens after we die? We shouldn't need the threat of hell to make us good people.

Why do we allow ourselves to believe in an immortality just because one person (Jesus) says it exists. What was so convincing. That long ago, he could have been a crazy man, and there was not enough science to diagnose this. However, this brings me to wonder why everyone believes in such unproven, original ideas. I feel like i am the only Atheist in my environment and I can't figure out why I am.

I am not trying to offend anyone here. I am asking honest questions to better my understanding of religion, so I can hopefully have more confident beliefs in the future. Thank you.
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Janos

Points: 38,476, Level: 28 Points: 38,476, Level: 28 Points: 38,476, Level: 28

Re: Why is Religion Such a Huge Deal? - May 28th 2011, 10:54 PM

I agree completely. Religion is a load of bollocks, and I view anyone who honestly truely thinks it's true with the same "smile, nod and back away" I would if someone said they just saw the nyan cat soaring overhead propelled by ass-rainbow.

I think it's psychology more than anything else. *shrugs* I honestly don't know...it's the same reason people are conservative, lack of basic rationality really.

There's nothing about any religion that makes their books anything more than (particularly distasteful) fiction, apart from the fact they were touted by more charismatic leaders and encouraged even more conformity in their bleating herds.

The reason why it's still here is due to it acting like a virus, just social tenaciously clinging to existence far past it's time is just due to the nature of the human mind makes people blindly obey.

I'm simplifying the full scope of this particular disease of the brain, but look into human psychology, conformity and social norms (not sure if you do it at school yet over there, I did), and it answers it all =/.

"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: Why is Religion Such a Huge Deal? - May 29th 2011, 02:39 AM

I think people believe for a few reasons. First, they were indoctrinated at such a young age, they couldn't understand that what they're told may be false. Second, whenever shit hits a society, people need and want a leader to emerge. Religion can be that hero for someone because it can make them feel better about themselves, understand the situation through alternate views and like any charismatic leader, give no negative criticism. Third, people who initially founded the religion did so as a means to understand the world. When the religion persists for years and years, many people inherently think the religion must be correct, otherwise people would have stopped believing in it. Fourth, it removes fears, such as fear of death, which many dread. The religion makes the fear seem like it's nothing but they only keep this feeling if they cling to the religion.

In modern society where science is a prevailing method of obtaining knowledge, it doesn't directly pat someone on the head, give them a cookie and say the world is wonderful. For some people, they probably feel unsure where to go in the world because nothing is leading them. Science isn't a leading figure as it's not a definite study, however, religion can be more definite. That said, there are many religions and many disagree with others but one thing that many hold is the notion they are correct. In other words, when a person of religion A meets a person of religion B and their religions oppose one another, it can strengthen their religious bonds. It's highly questionable whether the religions do oppose each other or whether people perceive it as such. They don't want to abandon their religion because it has made them feel so good, so they stick with it but if they were to abandon it, then they're left alone with no group to turn to and that may seem unnerving to many. Sort of like a frightened child lost in a large store without their parents.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Points: 19,512, Level: 20 Points: 19,512, Level: 20 Points: 19,512, Level: 20

Re: Why is Religion Such a Huge Deal? - May 29th 2011, 02:50 AM

The Man and XX Master: Good way of putting it. People want leaders, religion is a way of feeling never alone. You always have a leader, a hero and a support system. It really gives a sense of security.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
NonIndigenous Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Points: 32,114, Level: 25 Points: 32,114, Level: 25 Points: 32,114, Level: 25

Re: Why is Religion Such a Huge Deal? - May 29th 2011, 04:08 AM

Because people want something to look up to... a common belief that somehow unites them. We're social beings. Ever pay attention to those who have different beliefs to all others around them? They're frequently outcast and ignored.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Closed Thread