TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 51,232, Level: 32 Points: 51,232, Level: 32 Points: 51,232, Level: 32

Religion and homophobia. - June 16th 2011, 09:02 AM

Why? I thought God loved everyone? Explain?
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 664333 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Points: 12,802, Level: 16 Points: 12,802, Level: 16 Points: 12,802, Level: 16

Re: Religion and homophobia. - June 16th 2011, 11:43 AM

Well, fundamentally, the Bible and the whole conecpt of "God" are full of contradicitions, so it shouldn't really come as a surprise.
But I'd let some other people reply before you jump to anything.

One million miles away...
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Points: 22,302, Level: 21 Points: 22,302, Level: 21 Points: 22,302, Level: 21

Re: Religion and homophobia. - June 16th 2011, 03:49 PM

Gods have this mysterious habit of loving the same groups that their worshippers do and hating the same groups that their worshippers do. It's really quite inexplicable.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
6 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Liz94 Offline
Here I go again
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Elizabeth

Points: 14,814, Level: 17 Points: 14,814, Level: 17 Points: 14,814, Level: 17

Re: Religion and homophobia. - June 16th 2011, 04:57 PM

I agree with Xujhan. There are some old books of the bible that say that there is nothing wrong with homosexuality. But when it suited the rulers that the Bible would be against homosexuality the modern copy came out...granted this modern copy came out centuries ago but still.

God does love us all. Being a lesbian christian I happily will have a debate with a fellow christian that tells me I am going to hell. My answer is this. I love God, I praise God, I believe and love Jesus Christ. I have follwed him and tried to make the world a better more excepting place. I have helped people. I have goals and ambitions. And it is all these things that God will judge me on. All these positive things. And based on these things I will hopefully get into the house of God. Not based on who I fall in love with and who I feel atracted to.

I then say to them that I am close to God and have a good relationship with him and for me thats what counts and what matters and my faith and sexuality have nothing to do with them.

"Casting all your anxiety upon Him, because He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7

"For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." 2 Timothy 1:7

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:2

PM/VM me anytime
LIZ
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: Religion and homophobia. - June 16th 2011, 06:20 PM

By religion, I assume Christianity. I'm not going to do a huge elaborate post as I just repeat myself endlessly but the short version is the older versions of the bible never condemned homosexuality. It only began around the 1600s when the King James Version was released and is thought to be due mostly to political and social pressure at the time. Other passages referring to homosexuality are taken out of context as they were often directed to a small group, such as Israel children or against sexual practices of opposing religions. Countless people ignore these important details, thinking they apply to all just because it's written in the bible.

With all that said, god favours those who worship him and those who don't can piss off in his view, despite the fact he made them all. This introduces the idea of freewill but some passages directly state that's false and it questions whether god is really all-knowing. If he knows your future, there's no true free will but if he doesn't know your future, then god isn't all-knowing, begging to question what else is a lie about god. Many try to play both sides (doesn't work) or ignore the other side.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Points: 19,512, Level: 20 Points: 19,512, Level: 20 Points: 19,512, Level: 20

Re: Religion and homophobia. - June 16th 2011, 06:29 PM

Homophobics aren't religous. What I love is that I state to be a Christian while completely disregarding sections of the bible. Others tell me this makes me not a true christain. These people disregard the important fundamentals that state to love all people. Why are they still considered religious when I am not? Simple answer: People often have a negative out look on religion usually stemming from bad experiences with religious people. They refuse to, or cannot believe in sane religious people.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
BluEiis Offline
Uberawesome Ninjaness
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Indigo

Points: 13,225, Level: 16 Points: 13,225, Level: 16 Points: 13,225, Level: 16

Re: Religion and homophobia. - June 17th 2011, 12:09 AM

My brother in law thinks it is wrong for women to wear pants, and he swears up and down God says so in the Bible, but I have yet to see proof of this. He also swears up and down that the Bible says it is bad to listen to any music other than hymns and praises. No instruments are allowed in the church if they "pertain to worldly music" as in drums, electric instruments, etc. etc. But I am pretty damn sure God doesn't give a shit what kind of music you listen to or what you wear. I mean, if he is real, (and I aint sayin he is) I would like to think of him as a loving god..a god of forgiveness..one who wouldn't make such discriminations.

I believe in pink<3

I'm not so great with advice. Could I interest you in a sarcastic comment instead?

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Speak_Now Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 9,728, Level: 14 Points: 9,728, Level: 14 Points: 9,728, Level: 14

Re: Religion and homophobia. - June 17th 2011, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluEiis View Post
My brother in law thinks it is wrong for women to wear pants, and he swears up and down God says so in the Bible, but I have yet to see proof of this. He also swears up and down that the Bible says it is bad to listen to any music other than hymns and praises. No instruments are allowed in the church if they "pertain to worldly music" as in drums, electric instruments, etc. etc. But I am pretty damn sure God doesn't give a shit what kind of music you listen to or what you wear. I mean, if he is real, (and I aint sayin he is) I would like to think of him as a loving god..a god of forgiveness..one who wouldn't make such discriminations.

Go and watch 19 kids and counting....total proof of the whole no pants, only skirts thing.

The bible is written by other people on how they think God wanted things. I sure hope that the christians, who are against gays, have beards and no tattoos.

God loves gays. Legit.

Taylor Swift Lover.
FCK H8
Proud to be Gay.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
BluEiis Offline
Uberawesome Ninjaness
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Indigo

Points: 13,225, Level: 16 Points: 13,225, Level: 16 Points: 13,225, Level: 16

Re: Religion and homophobia. - June 17th 2011, 09:39 AM

Sweet Jebus that is a scary show.. and honestly I think the family would benefit from some "worldliness"... I mean they REALLY need a freakin TV! They're like rabbits or something..

I believe in pink<3

I'm not so great with advice. Could I interest you in a sarcastic comment instead?

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Points: 12,802, Level: 16 Points: 12,802, Level: 16 Points: 12,802, Level: 16

Re: Religion and homophobia. - June 17th 2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKmadu619 View Post
Homophobics aren't religous.
- Justin
What do you call the Westboro Baptist Church then? Non-religious?

One million miles away...
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Kayla200 Offline
Average Joe

Points: 11,847, Level: 15 Points: 11,847, Level: 15 Points: 11,847, Level: 15

Re: Religion and homophobia. - June 17th 2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elievry View Post
I agree with Xujhan. There are some old books of the bible that say that there is nothing wrong with homosexuality. But when it suited the rulers that the Bible would be against homosexuality the modern copy came out...granted this modern copy came out centuries ago but still.

God does love us all. Being a lesbian christian I happily will have a debate with a fellow christian that tells me I am going to hell. My answer is this. I love God, I praise God, I believe and love Jesus Christ. I have follwed him and tried to make the world a better more excepting place. I have helped people. I have goals and ambitions. And it is all these things that God will judge me on. All these positive things. And based on these things I will hopefully get into the house of God. Not based on who I fall in love with and who I feel atracted to.

I then say to them that I am close to God and have a good relationship with him and for me thats what counts and what matters and my faith and sexuality have nothing to do with them.
Finally someone else with my same way of thinking thank you for being you sceriously...I thought I was alone in believeing that even though im bi I can still make it into gods doors

R.I.P Lee, Logan, Austin 3/5/09

As tears fall from my eyes,I realized I didn't know them as much as I knew everyone else,Yet what I knew was they where apart of me in different ways,And as I watched them be put in the ground,Their spirits floating,Apart of me went with them...........You will forever be missed and loved...Never forgotten
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Kayla200 Offline
Average Joe

Points: 11,847, Level: 15 Points: 11,847, Level: 15 Points: 11,847, Level: 15

Re: Religion and homophobia. - June 17th 2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKmadu619 View Post
Homophobics aren't religous. What I love is that I state to be a Christian while completely disregarding sections of the bible. Others tell me this makes me not a true christain. These people disregard the important fundamentals that state to love all people. Why are they still considered religious when I am not? Simple answer: People often have a negative out look on religion usually stemming from bad experiences with religious people. They refuse to, or cannot believe in sane religious people.

- Justin
Completly agree

R.I.P Lee, Logan, Austin 3/5/09

As tears fall from my eyes,I realized I didn't know them as much as I knew everyone else,Yet what I knew was they where apart of me in different ways,And as I watched them be put in the ground,Their spirits floating,Apart of me went with them...........You will forever be missed and loved...Never forgotten
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
oldaccount Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 28,123, Level: 24 Points: 28,123, Level: 24 Points: 28,123, Level: 24

Re: Religion and homophobia. - June 19th 2011, 02:08 AM

First, the Duggars are Mormons, not Christians Just thought I'd put that out there.

Second, I agree with Justin. I disagree with parts of the Word- mainly the part about homosexuality = eternity in Hell. Just me, personally.

Third, I also agree with Indigo. He is a God of forgiveness. Non-discriminating. Crazy in love with His children, regardless of who they're crazy in love with.

Last, as I have said before, the act of homosexuality is, as far as the Word goes, an abomination. I AM NOT SAYING HOMOSEXUALITY IS WRONG. THAT IS NOT WHERE I'M GOING. MY PREVIOUS OPINIONS WILL NEVER CHANGE. But in the Word, homosexuality is a sin. The homosexual, however, is a child of God, and therefore perfectly susceptible to eternity in Heaven, if they ask for forgiveness from Christ, which will come. Love is love.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
Our life is what we make it
I've been here a while

Name: Nick (Or Nico)

Points: 14,618, Level: 17 Points: 14,618, Level: 17 Points: 14,618, Level: 17

Re: Religion and homophobia. - June 19th 2011, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyWorthless View Post
Last, as I have said before, the act of homosexuality is, as far as the Word goes, an abomination.
The word "Abomination" as used in the Bible, does not mean "Unnatural" or "Immoral", the Bible uses it to mean "Against Tradition".

Quote:
I AM NOT SAYING HOMOSEXUALITY IS WRONG. THAT IS NOT WHERE I'M GOING. MY PREVIOUS OPINIONS WILL NEVER CHANGE.

If that were true, you wouldn't have used the word abomination. I cannot change, so why would God create me gay if the act was a sin?

Quote:
But in the Word, homosexuality is a sin.
The Bible never says it's a sin

Quote:
The homosexual, however, is a child of God, and therefore perfectly susceptible to eternity in Heaven, if they ask for forgiveness from Christ, which will come. Love is love.
With the anti-gay message from Christians and Catholics, dooming me to Hell for being who I am, worshipping Satan seems better than God and Christ, he allows his followers to live the way they choose, given they don't harm anyone who hasn't done anything to them.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Points: 48,277, Level: 31 Points: 48,277, Level: 31 Points: 48,277, Level: 31

Re: Religion and homophobia. - June 20th 2011, 12:40 AM

The Bible never says that God does not love homosexuals, and I hate when people jump to that conclusion because of other Christians. If anyone ever told you that you're not loved by God because you are homosexual, then they clearly have not read the bible, and they clearly are not practicing Christian beliefs. I really think some Christians are doing more harm than good. As Christians, I believe its our job to help and to inspire other people into believing and accepting Christ. We're not supposed to scare them into religion by saying "You're going to Hell for not believing, for being homosexual," etc. That's not the right way to go about it.

The Bible does not say anything against homosexuals, simply that it is immoral to engage in sexual relations with the same sex. Yeah, Christians might say you're going to Hell. But have you seen some the crazy lists on the internet of other people they think are going to Hell? It's really quite amusing. God is the ultimate judge. Is homosexuality wrong? We can't tell you. It's God's decision, and right now it's your life; it's your decision.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Religion and homophobia. - June 20th 2011, 09:51 AM

What do you think to this article? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/3205727.stm
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
ihatemylife1 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: call me stacy
Gender: I don't honestly feel either gender. I'm content with my body.

Points: 8,180, Level: 13 Points: 8,180, Level: 13 Points: 8,180, Level: 13

Re: Religion and homophobia. - June 20th 2011, 10:37 PM

I don't really believe GOD loves everyone or we'd all go to heaven.
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
John 6:29 Offline
Romans 2:6-8
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Points: 17,013, Level: 18 Points: 17,013, Level: 18 Points: 17,013, Level: 18

Re: Religion and homophobia. - June 21st 2011, 05:25 PM

The Bible does not teach that God loves everyone. In fact, it teaches the opposite in both the Old and New Testaments. The whole "God loves everyone" is a misinterpretation or misunderstanding of the Bible and a few select verses.

"Daniel broke the kings decree, Peter stepped from the ship to the sea, there was hope for Job like a cut down tree... I hope that there's such hope for me... Blind as I've become, I used to wonder where you were. These days I can't find where You're not. Mine's been a yard carefully surface tended, foxes burrowed underground. Gardening so highly self-recommended, what could I have done but let You down? The sun and the moon, I want to see both worlds as one." -Aaron Weiss, mewithoutYou
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Religion and homophobia. - June 21st 2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 6:29 View Post
The Bible does not teach that God loves everyone. In fact, it teaches the opposite in both the Old and New Testaments.
What does it say about homosexuals?
Closed Thread