TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Points: 22,144, Level: 21 Points: 22,144, Level: 21 Points: 22,144, Level: 21

What is a Religion - October 31st 2011, 09:34 AM

As I asked, what is a religion? How does something go from Philosophy to religion? For example, and not to be insulting to any Buddhists out there, it seems more like a Philosophy then a religion. Or myself for example, treat Fascism as more then a simple political affiliation, I treat it as a moral code, and a way to live my life.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20

Re: What is a Religion - October 31st 2011, 07:39 PM

My understanding is that for something to become "religious" as opposed to "philosophical", it tends to need more of a metaphysical/spiritual aspect to it - that is to say, it needs to concern events or matters beyond the physical Universe. Hence, Buddhism falls under the ambit of religion (just about) because its teachings have concepts such as reincarnation, nirvana and samsara which should they exist would do so outside of the physical framework of the Universe. Philosophy, in contrast, tends to take its basis from the physical framework of the Universe and events contained therein and then develop from there - so to take your example, your world view is developed from experience in this Universe and this life, as opposed to taking its basis from something which may or may not exist transcendent of the Universe. Even if it contains moral aspects, it's still based on what happens here so is philosophical rather than religious. To take another example, the "cult of Stalin" has been classed as having religious traits in some circles, but again as the focus of its attention is on the events in the physical Universe (specifically one man) it's philosophical.

I should say that all of that is purely based on my understanding, and for all I know it could be a load of cobblers. But that has been how I understand the distinction, and it seems to account for things like Buddhism contrasted with other philosophies quite well. Ultimately, it's all a question of where one chooses to draw the line.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
XjuxtapositionX Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,702, Level: 12 Points: 7,702, Level: 12 Points: 7,702, Level: 12

Re: What is a Religion - November 2nd 2011, 09:14 PM

I agree with you Guile, with the aspect that I almost feel that Buddhism is more a philosophy than a religion. Again no offense to any Buddhists. But it is to my knowledge that some divisions of Buddhism do see Siddhartha Gautama (Buddha) as a god, while others just see him as an enlightened human individual.

I divide philosophy and religion by the fact if there is a god involved. I see philosophy as more so as your opinions and morals concerning different facets of life. A religion, in my opinion, is when a god or spirituality is brought into the discussion. Now I believe philosophy and religion go hand and hand and affect each other greatly.

I like the way dr2005 put it, "Ultimately, it's all a question of where one chooses to draw the line." I feel the same way.
Closed Thread