TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dervisher Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

What is Motivation - February 25th 2012, 10:13 PM

Based on what i've seen so far there are two generalized type of people (obviously this isn't black and white, some can be in the middle)
The people who are motivated to take action, and those who aren't.

When I say taking action I mean those who:
- Set projects for themselves (and complete them).
- Create events, such as hanging out with a friend. Going to the bar, etc.
- Being active in social interaction (as opposed to people like me who basically look like a pathetic log of muttering, gibbering and mumbling).
- Create goals and reach them eventually

Those who aren't motivated typically struggle with all of the things i've listed. What is motivation? Why is life so difficult for those without motivation? For this we need to look into what motivation is at it's basics.

In life there is a chain of priorities. The simplest priority that cannot be argued about is survival. While your memory (which I will use to explain our choices of action) effects what TYPE of survival we choose to act upon, in the end the motivation for survival is to survive. This is the most basic and understandable act of selfishness.

Autonomy: (Wanting to feel like we are choosing our actions) is the motivation of self-discovery and doing what we want. We aren't going to want to do something that someone else wants us to do. This is our first selfish method of motivation.
At first you're going to think: "What about the 1000's of jobs out there which does the exact opposite of what you're saying?" Well this leads back to chain #1, which is survival. How are you going to have time to do things you want to do if you don't have money to buy food?

Mastery: This is a fairly easy to understand concept. We want to improve on something to be better at it (Most people strive to be 'average' or better than average. In comparison to other people with the same hobby). Mastery also pertains to the workforce. While many people don't enjoy their job some people enjoy learning how to do what they do and they like being one of a small portion of the world to understand what they've learned. They are able to perform something which many can't. This is a sense of mastery, to be more skilled at something in comparison to the average human. Even as a child we had this selfish type of motivation.

Purpose: Purpose is a somewhat deceiving part of survival. Whether your purpose is your 'religion', family, hobby, eating food, smoking weed, listening to music, saving a baby snow tiger from a fire, or anything else. It all leads to this:
People who believe they have a purpose in life choose to think this because it is a part of their survival. If they felt they had no purpose they would likely question the point of their existence (If you can't tell, i'm beyond this point already lol.) This is a very basic and fundamental part of survival if a human is lacking Autonomy (think about the job you don't enjoy) or Mastery (Some people just aren't better than the average at something. There are those poor people who are genetically lower than average.) so humans lead to having a sense of purpose. This is basically a selfish way to explain to themselves the point of their survival without a feeling of guilt.

Yes, people can have all three of these pieces of motivation at once. Some can lose one and need more of another. But in the end if someone is lacking all three of these pieces of motivation their survival is at risk.
Now you think: "Well if animals can survive so can we." Well there's a level of intelligence needed for the three motivations to effect your priorities. Sadly humans are probably one of the only creatures on this earth who potentially will kill themselves if they lack motivation.

The solution then is to learn how to gain motivation.
How do people go from having no motivation to having motivation? That is what I would like you guys to share your thoughts on.

I am not going to reply in this thread because apparently my opinions upset the general community which leads to my threads getting locked. So don't feel offended if I judge your reply and don't respond to it explaining why I feel your thoughts are inaccurate or wrong. It isn't because I don't respect you, it's because the forum admins believe my attitude and thoughts aren't meant for everyone (especially the general community).

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: What is Motivation - February 26th 2012, 03:26 AM

This was an interesting read. I think for me that it takes someone or something to snap them into being motivated, whether it is an event or someone saying something really inspirational. I know, that's probably the lamest and least explained reason you'll get, but sometimes people just need to be snapped into it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Offline
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: What is Motivation - February 27th 2012, 12:49 AM

Well put together, by the way. I am not certain if you aim to work in the mental health community, but those are the standard three elements of personal success and happiness as agreed upon by the community at large.

The basic reason I believe that people who feel no motivation can motivate themselves consists of two things: the internal component and the external component. Both are extremely important in order to stimulate change in the individual.

EXTERNAL- The external component is an event that takes place outside of the person that causes a shift in their mentality regarding their situation. It is what often acts as a catalyst for change.

If everything stayed the same while we were sitting in a situation where we lacked motivation ( such as unemployment, drug addiction, physical health, etc.), there would be no motivation to change. We would remain stationary in our lack of motivation/aversion to change. However, a change in the situation OR a new consequence can spark a different reaction in us.

For example, say you have a drinking problem. People have told you many times that it is pretty serious and you should probably seek professional help, but you blow them off. You know what you are doing. You're in control. Sometimes you do really stupid stuff, like have sex with random chicks from the bar, but nothing bad has ever happened. You're cool; you don't need help.

One night things really screwed up. Your girlfriend broke up with you for cheating on her. You need to drink it off. You get completely plastered. You decide to drive to her house. It's 12:30 in the morning. It's a different route than your usual, you're too drunk and depressed to really know what you're doing, and you're driving much too fast. Suddenly, there's a light ahead, but it's too late. You ram the back of the car in front of you.

By some miracle no one is hurt, but you get slapped with a large fine and a 30-day jail sentence for drunk driving and reckless endangerment.

INTERNAL- The internal component usually occurs after the external event has happened. This is the part where you look at the consequences, see that they have affected you in an undesirable way, and make the conscious decision to change.

The thing is, for all the lack of motivation, pretty much everyone has something they don't want to lose. In the case of our drunk driver friend, it could be his freedom or his life. It could be the love of another, self-respect, an amazing job, one's family, or one's life dreams. It could be anything, really, and it just depends on the person. Or, perhaps, it threatens them with their worst fear, depending how you look at it. Death, Loneliness, mediocrity, unattractiveness, pain, etc.

Sometimes, people forget that something is important to them, or they are too unmotivated to try for it or get it back or maintain it or whatnot. But in most cases, something will jeopardize that thing, and it will allow people to find their motivation again.

Sometimes the internal component may be all they need, but often it is more effective if their is an external reaction or consequence, too.

That's my two cents on motivation. At least, it is what I have absorbed in myself and others.

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
In the hazy milk of twilight
No one had to know
The moon asked the crow...
  Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Dervisher Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: What is Motivation - February 27th 2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post

EXTERNAL- The external component is an event that takes place outside of the person that causes a shift in their mentality regarding their situation. It is what often acts as a catalyst for change.

If everything stayed the same while we were sitting in a situation where we lacked motivation ( such as unemployment, drug addiction, physical health, etc.), there would be no motivation to change. We would remain stationary in our lack of motivation/aversion to change. However, a change in the situation OR a new consequence can spark a different reaction in us.

For example, say you have a drinking problem. People have told you many times that it is pretty serious and you should probably seek professional help, but you blow them off. You know what you are doing. You're in control. Sometimes you do really stupid stuff, like have sex with random chicks from the bar, but nothing bad has ever happened. You're cool; you don't need help.

One night things really screwed up. Your girlfriend broke up with you for cheating on her. You need to drink it off. You get completely plastered. You decide to drive to her house. It's 12:30 in the morning. It's a different route than your usual, you're too drunk and depressed to really know what you're doing, and you're driving much too fast. Suddenly, there's a light ahead, but it's too late. You ram the back of the car in front of you.

By some miracle no one is hurt, but you get slapped with a large fine and a 30-day jail sentence for drunk driving and reckless endangerment.

INTERNAL- The internal component usually occurs after the external event has happened. This is the part where you look at the consequences, see that they have affected you in an undesirable way, and make the conscious decision to change.

The thing is, for all the lack of motivation, pretty much everyone has something they don't want to lose. In the case of our drunk driver friend, it could be his freedom or his life. It could be the love of another, self-respect, an amazing job, one's family, or one's life dreams. It could be anything, really, and it just depends on the person. Or, perhaps, it threatens them with their worst fear, depending how you look at it. Death, Loneliness, mediocrity, unattractiveness, pain, etc.

Sometimes, people forget that something is important to them, or they are too unmotivated to try for it or get it back or maintain it or whatnot. But in most cases, something will jeopardize that thing, and it will allow people to find their motivation again.

Sometimes the internal component may be all they need, but often it is more effective if their is an external reaction or consequence, too.

That's my two cents on motivation. At least, it is what I have absorbed in myself and others.
Thank you for giving me another tool to organize information within my mind.

What happens is I begin thinking about something and it leads deeper into the subject until I can't extract anything else from it. Then I move onto something else similar perhaps and do the exact same thing. This results in a lot of understanding of the world, but it is EXTREMELY disorganized. This is a big reason why I have difficulty speaking, while I may think to say one thing halfway through i'm already correcting myself. This leads to a complete stutter (at best) and people view me as incompetent. Luckily while i'm typing I can take a bit more time to formulate what I want to say.

But anyways, I gather this mass of information and theories and suddenly a person comes along and essentially summarizes all of what i've been thinking for me. In this thread I never used the words 'autonomy' or 'mastery' until I watched a presentation on it. Now I use them because the words themselves explain what i'm describing more easily than I ever will be able to.

Now when I speculate someone I can further organize my thoughts on them, such as their external and internal motivations. While before hand I would have a clear, unfuzzy understanding of their motives I can now generalize it down to two categories.

As for working in the mental health community I never really knew there was a place where people could think about things like that. I just thought things through until someone educated simplifies it for me. I've also theorized things about the universe years ago that are slowly starting to be proven to be true.

I know I said I wasn't going to respond but i'm sure the administrators will be fine with this kind of a reply. It isn't my typical type of response.

Closed Thread