TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
purplemask Offline
Average Joe

Name: Regina

Atheist, Humanist, and Agnostic - February 26th 2012, 11:47 PM

Hey, I'm in the AHA group at my school. We do tabling, which means a couple times a week we set up a table alongside other organizations in front of our student union and have information about the club and talk to people walking by. Anyway, we were hoping to do a fundraiser, or to have an interesting discussion topic regarding AHA. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Atheist, Humanist, and Agnostic - February 26th 2012, 11:53 PM

Cool club! I'd love to start a chapter at my school. I would think look for fundraising event sin your community, such as a 15% night at a restaurant, or maybe you guys can have a bake sale! College students love bake sales. Or at least I do.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
purplemask Offline
Average Joe

Re: Atheist, Humanist, and Agnostic - February 27th 2012, 12:02 AM

We are thinking about having a fundraiser on the parade grounds (across from where tabling takes place) where people can pay a dollar to throw a water balloon. Shows we have a sense of humor and at other schools it was a really successful and positive event. Thanks, a bake sale might be something to look into. I'm not sure if people would buy from us or what the logistics are about making homemade goods and selling them; they would probably be suspicious anyway haha. I live in the "bible belt" of the US, so something that will draw attention but still make a good impression will probably be best.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Atheist, Humanist, and Agnostic - February 27th 2012, 02:13 AM

Try to put yourself in the shoes of those who would come to the events. For example, if it's a fundraiser, what would your group plan to do with the money? I realize $1 isn't a whole lot but if you get, say $150 and do nothing for the group with it, you're not going to get much support later on.

In terms of discussion topics, sometimes the simplest is the best. Again, placing yourself in the shoes of others, you could explain what is the difference between atheism, humanism and agnosticism. Since you're in the bible belt, it would be wise to be familiar with Abrahamic religions because if someone were to ask you a question, such as what is the stance of AHA for homosexuality, and the person provides a bunch of biblical evidence for their side, you would look like a bunch of fools if you could not argue back. Try looking at controversial issues in Christianity, such as concepts of morality, what happens after death, whether there is innocence in children, suicide, favoured political sides, etc... . An issue I would find very important is the relationship with science, such as cloning, origin of the universe and life, evolution, neural basis of religion, etc... . For example, Beauregard and Paquette (2006) conducted a fMRI study to determine the mystical experiences in Carmelite nuns.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Atheist, Humanist, and Agnostic - February 27th 2012, 05:54 AM

Bible belt, fun. I live in a conservative state as well, know the feeling. I love the waterballoon thing! And maybe, rather than a bake sale, you can sell store bought stuff, like getting a box of 10 cupcakes for $4, but selling them for a dollar each for profit, you know? That kind of stuff. A club at my school sells doughnuts for a dollar for their club, so that may work. Maybe have a movie showing, and sell popcorn at the showing of it. It can be a serious film, with a discussion afterwards, or a funny film that brings up religion or something near your topic. Maybe Saved! ? That's a good religion discussion movie, but is funny.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
purplemask Offline
Average Joe

Re: Atheist, Humanist, and Agnostic - February 29th 2012, 02:44 AM

I'll have to check that movie out? I know to have any kind of showing we will need to get permission and authorization as to not break copyright laws.
To omfg (sorry, I don't know you name), right now we're really just trying to get some money saved up. We are probably THE poorest club at our university, and only recently we have gotten a somewhat organized. There are about 15 reliable people who go to every meeting and are willing to brainstorm ideas etc. (Compared to say, Spectrum, the LGBTQ club who has hundreds of members, thousands of dollars, committees and sub committees). Six of us are going to the Reason Rally in March, so we were hoping to get some money to help pay for the trip since it's all out of pocket right now. We also want to get T-shirts, have money for events such as lecturers or trips. It's nothing extremely specific for the most part. At least not at the moment.
"You could you could explain what is the difference between atheism, humanism and agnosticism." We are planning to make a tri-fold poster with this and including important people in each category. Thanks for all the idea topics, too.

Honestly, the main problem is we have no strong leader. We have a president who was elected a few years ago I guess, but he's not proactive or organized. It kind of drives me crazy. I need dates, discussions, people seriously getting together and coming up with ideas, familiarizing ourselves with scripture and religious viewpoints, understanding well things like evolution and stem cell research, etc.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Atheist, Humanist, and Agnostic - March 1st 2012, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemask View Post
Honestly, the main problem is we have no strong leader. We have a president who was elected a few years ago I guess, but he's not proactive or organized. It kind of drives me crazy. I need dates, discussions, people seriously getting together and coming up with ideas, familiarizing ourselves with scripture and religious viewpoints, understanding well things like evolution and stem cell research, etc.
If your group and yourself don't have a good understanding of scripture and scientific concepts, you could try selectively bringing your ideas to relevant departments, such as biology, theology, biochemistry, etc... . If you could get some of those people into your club as a member and resource, it would be beneficial, especially if they're at least in their third-year (I wouldn't choose first-year students). Unfortunately, if that does not happen, then you have to learn the topics, which is a great learning experience just it's going to take longer. I took a few evolutionary biology courses in 3rd year and am doing a similar course right now. I fear a problem you may run into is trying to summarize the information without leaving out important points. It depends on how much detail you plan to give, if you want to give a lot, it's going to be rough. There are other members other than myself who study in these topics at university (I'll be doing my Master's once accepted) so we could give some information but you'd have to precisely specify the topics. You could also mention the Big Bang Theory (not the amazing TV show), String and M Theories, although I'm no help for that but there are other members who are much more versed in those topics.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
ashalily Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: ashley

Re: Atheist, Humanist, and Agnostic - March 2nd 2012, 10:36 PM

i know how you feel about the "bible belt" thing since i am currently attending a catholic private college and im an agnostic person xD hell, they have a good art therapy program. whatever lol.

my main question is, what exactly are you trying to raise money for? first, most people arent exactly willing to support a "non religious" group to begin with. it would be even more hard if you guys cant say what you are raising money for. as far as discussion goes, be really careful to not pick a topic that is too controversial. religious discussions can get extremely heated. therefore, i agree with whoever said it should be sort of informational in terms of discussing exactly what atheism, humanism, and agnosticism are. maybe try to express the points of view behind each. make it more philosophical and less emotional you dont want to make people angry.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
AnaMZ Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Atheist, Humanist, and Agnostic - March 8th 2012, 06:56 AM

You could have a film screening night - a dollar entry to see a documentary of something thought-provoking, bring a beanbag or a cushion, and you could sell snacks. Afterwards you could have a short discussion of the film and invite people to discuss similar topics and more through your club.

Dear You,
You can make it through this. The clouds will not last forever.
From Me.

Closed Thread