TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Biohazard320 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Claire

I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 10th 2012, 04:33 AM

I'd like to clear up a few things about Christianity, because there are people out there who make us look like assholes, when what they do is not what the Bible teaches AT ALL. I've been Catholic my entire life, and I've always been teased for it, and it does hurt me.

1. Jesus associated with whores and tax collectors (bad people at that time), therefore it is un-Christian to ridicule anyone for any reason whatsoever.

2. We're supposed to evangelize, i.e, spread the faith, but by no means is it ok when people try to force it on you.

3. If you read the "Catechism of the Catholic Church," (the CCC), which puts our teachings in plain English, there is a section that says IT IS OK TO BE HOMOSEXUAL, because you can't change it, it is only a sin when you ACT upon homosexual impulses

4. Yes our faith has flaws, but so does everything else in this world. Please, don't judge the entire convent by one bad nun.

5. Please try to remember that you hurt people when you ridicule Christianity. I know there are Christians that have hurt some of you, and I apologize for them, but I'm asking you to consider trying to treat others you would like to be treated, and try to avoid hurting the rest of us.

No Matter What You're Going Through Right Now,
Life Gets Better.

Hang On and You'll See
  Send a message via Skype™ to Biohazard320 
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Henry Tyrell Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 10th 2012, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazard320 View Post
3. If you read the "Catechism of the Catholic Church," (the CCC), which puts our teachings in plain English, there is a section that says IT IS OK TO BE HOMOSEXUAL, because you can't change it, it is only a sin when you ACT upon homosexual impulses

5. ... but I'm asking you to consider trying to treat others you would like to be treated..
Thank you for the apology. However, I have two issues with what you bring up.

3. As a bisexual, there is no difference between having homosexual feelings and acting on them, any more than straights think about the opposite sex and act on those feelings (with reason, etc etc). And of course the idea that any CONSENTING LOVE could be a sin is ridiculous, especially for a God of love who created everything and everyone (even those gay penguins) perfectly.

5. I want to be treated with a healthy amount of respect and skepticism, and I will only give respect to those who deserve it. I expect to be treated in the same way- but you Christians go first.

(Here's a off-topic issue with your little Golden Rule. I'm a masochist. Why shouldn't I treat you the way I want to be treated... by giving you emotional and physical pain? Same principle, different spin, and completely non-related to religion, so feel free to ignore.)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Tyr. Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 10th 2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
IT IS OK TO BE HOMOSEXUAL, because you can't change it, it is only a sin when you ACT upon homosexual impulses
Quote:
Please try to remember that you hurt people when you ridicule Christianity
Quote:
but I'm asking you to consider trying to treat others you would like to be treated,
So, you categorically state that one way of life is evil, then you ask people not to say bad things about your way of life, then you round off with the "treat others as you would want to be treated" line.

Not going to start that debate here, but your entire post reeks of hypocrisy and bigotry cloaked in some sort of religious good-will. You might want to do something about that.

- Yogi

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 10th 2012, 08:10 AM

1. Agree

2. Agree

3. Peoplem sin though... aren't you forgiven if you ask for forgiveness. Also, what happened to "love my neighbor" and what not? Think what you want about homosexuality, but aren't Christians supposed to be kind to homosexuals? Just wondering.

4. Great. I'd like Christians to know that about Atheists as well without trying to convert us first. We can be friends without conversion, I promise.

5. Remember that this is a Philosophy forum. If people are being rude, please, report them. But as you are allowed to post your opinions on Christianity, and free to post criticisms on whatever religion (or lack of) you like, we are allowed to post criticisms on Christianity as well. In theory, we should all be able to read it, discuss it, tactfully debate about it, and all be civil. This doesn't always happen, but that's in theory. So if you are seeing posts rude to Christanity, report it, and the moderators will take a look. But if they are just expressing their opinion against it...That's just an opinion. Many people don't agree with my lack of religion, it's just part of life, not everyone's going to agree with your beliefs, just stick to them because you know it's right!

Welcome to the religions forum. I hope you like ush all.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 10th 2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I'd like to clear up a few things about Christianity, because there are people out there who make us look like assholes, when what they do is not what the Bible teaches AT ALL. I've been Catholic my entire life, and I've always been teased for it, and it does hurt me.

1. Jesus associated with whores and tax collectors (bad people at that time), therefore it is un-Christian to ridicule anyone for any reason whatsoever.

2. We're supposed to evangelize, i.e, spread the faith, but by no means is it ok when people try to force it on you.

4. Yes our faith has flaws, but so does everything else in this world. Please, don't judge the entire convent by one bad nun.

5. Please try to remember that you hurt people when you ridicule Christianity. I know there are Christians that have hurt some of you, and I apologize for them, but I'm asking you to consider trying to treat others you would like to be treated, and try to avoid hurting the rest of us.
1. Agree

2. Agree

3. Utter bullshit. It's ridiculous stopping someone acting on a desire that won't harm anyone. God gave us free will but if you don't do as I say you'll be harshly punished. There idea of restricting people for their sexual orientation is archaic.

4. I'd like to think people don't do that.

5. There's a difference between criticising beliefs and the believer is important. If you're secure enough with your beliefs and have the ability to defend them then you'll see the difference. If not you'll just assume they're attacking you personally. Scepticism is good for the development of the individual instead of just accepting anything that is told to you.

I agree anyway, attacking the person is stupid and unnecessary. If you can't hold your beliefs up, what's the point in talking about them here?

Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
ARootlessTree Offline
ಠ_ಠ
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Toz

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 10th 2012, 11:49 AM

You don't have to apologize. Don't. It's your faith. If you don't want it to be ridiculed, here are a few easy steps you can take:

1) When people decline to hear about it, respectfully stop evangelizing.
2) Keep it out of our schools.
3) Keep it out of our government.
4) Stop assuming America is an official Christian nation.

Otherwise, do what you will. I'll fight for your right to do so.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 10th 2012, 04:15 PM

I'm not Catholic, I'm Christian, but take out the words "Catechism" and "nun" and I agree with you completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution;831151[SIZE=2
3. Peoplem sin though... aren't you forgiven if you ask for forgiveness. Also, what happened to "love my neighbor" and what not? Think what you want about homosexuality, but aren't Christians supposed to be kind to homosexuals? Just wondering.[/size]
I know you meant this question for the OP, but I'm a Christian too so I thought I'd answer while I'm here. Yes, we are absoluetly supposed to be kind to homosexuals and love them. And yes you can be saved from all your sins (past and future) once and for all by trusting in Jesus' sacrifice on the cross to take that punishment for you (and His resurrection)...but that requires repentance (change of mind about sin)....which requires you to know that what you've done is wrong. If you deny that your homosexual actions were wrong, then you haven't really repented.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 10th 2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
You have good intentions, it's unfortunate the rest of your post doesn't show that.

Quote:
it is un-Christian to ridicule anyone for any reason whatsoever.
it is only a sin when you ACT upon homosexual impulses
I'm asking you to consider trying to treat others you would like to be treated, and try to avoid hurting the rest of us.
So you want to be treated nicely and not ridicule anyone, except of course if they're glorifying their sinfulness.

Quote:
2. We're supposed to evangelize, i.e, spread the faith, but by no means is it ok when people try to force it on you
it is only a sin when you ACT upon homosexual impulses
You don't want to force your faith on people but you're still fine condemning them.

Quote:
In all honesty, you're not doing anything positive through this thread because whenever you stated something Christians should not do, in the very next line, you do it anyway. I'm not sure if the contradictory statements resulted from you not thinking them through or whether you truly abide by them, although I'm hoping it's the former.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Liz94 Offline
Here I go again
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Elizabeth

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 10th 2012, 04:31 PM

As A Christian, I like posting in here and people giving their differing views. It is important as Christians to be made to think about our values and beliefs.

If we never questioned anything including our faith , we as individuals and as a community will never progress. If you question you open your mind, learn and futher your faith.

So people giving their views which can sometimes be annoying a fustrustrating is a positive thing, as it makes us think. Thats what this forum is here to do.

"Casting all your anxiety upon Him, because He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7

"For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." 2 Timothy 1:7

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:2

PM/VM me anytime
LIZ
  Send a message via MSN to Liz94  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 10th 2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toz View Post
You don't have to apologize. Don't. It's your faith. If you don't want it to be ridiculed, here are a few easy steps you can take:

Seriously, it's that easy. This is what I do and I've never had major issues with other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenonsteroids View Post

5. There's a difference between criticising beliefs and the believer is important. If you're secure enough with your beliefs and have the ability to defend them then you'll see the difference. If not you'll just assume they're attacking you personally. Scepticism is good for the development of the individual instead of just accepting anything that is told to you.

I agree anyway, attacking the person is stupid and unnecessary. If you can't hold your beliefs up, what's the point in talking about them here?
Exactly. So, you're not a Christian. That's fine. So, I'm not an Atheist. That's fine too. If there are any issues to be had, it's with the religious practice itself. Unfortunately, people (not necessarily on TH) do have a tendency to attack the believer as well as the belief. But, it's completely unnecessary. Do your own research. Form your own judgments. Do as ChickenonSteroids says. Don't take things out on the believer. Like he said, if you can't back up your faith or lack thereof, don't post in this forum about it.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#11 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 10th 2012, 05:29 PM

Hmm, this post came off as passive agressive.

"I apologize for others, even though they're mostly right."

Is kind of the vibe I got off this. If homosexuality is a sin or not is irrelevant. Why? Because we all sin, regardless of age, gender, race, orientation, etcetera. If it is a sin, it's only one more in the thousands every individual commits each day.

Also, don't speak for us all. I'm a Lutheran Christian and we personally believe homosexuality is fine. The minster at my old church's first born son was a proud homosexual. We don't believe it's a sin, so you're making it seem like Catholic views represent Christianity as a whole, which they do not.

Other than that, most of your points are decently made.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#12 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 10th 2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
IT IS OK TO BE HOMOSEXUAL, because you can't change it, it is only a sin when you ACT upon homosexual impulses
I just wanted to add this in here.
I'm allowed to be gay, but I'm not allowed to be happy. That's generous of you.

Really, though. I think it's all down to interpretation. There are many, many devout Christians who believe that God loves them no matter their sexual preferences, even if they do act on them.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Muse Offline
As eloquent as an elephant.
Average Joe

Name: Jessica

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 10th 2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:

1) Agree.
2) Agree.
3) Disagree, it's a hugeee part of our government, stated on every dollar bill. This country was founded on Christianity (as well as on religious freedom) and I think that's how it should stay. However, leading into your next point,
4) I don't think that it should be based SOLELY on Christianity, but more so ethics and morals. Clearly we're not doing something right at the moment.

Quote:
This made me smile. <3

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 10th 2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
[font="Century Gothic"][color="MediumTurquoise"]

3) Disagree, it's a hugeee part of our government, stated on every dollar bill. This country was founded on Christianity (as well as on religious freedom) and I think that's how it should stay. However, leading into your next point,
4) I don't think that it should be based SOLELY on Christianity, but more so ethics and morals. Clearly we're not doing something right at the moment.
But it wasn't...

In god we trust was added on the dollar bill in1957.

It was added to the constitution in 1954.

All of those morals can be derived from secular reason anyway but most people are Christian in America... so either they're 'not following the teachings right' or they're just douchebags. I don't think it has anything to do with Christian morality. It's generally the same, there's no moral action that religious person can do that a non believer can't.

I don't think religion should play any part in the government as it needs to assume a religion in the first place which can be seen as discriminatory. Just be neutral towards it.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
ARootlessTree Offline
ಠ_ಠ
Regular TeenHelper

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 11th 2012, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenonsteroids View Post
But it wasn't...

In god we trust was added on the dollar bill in1957.

It was added to the constitution in 1954.

All of those morals can be derived from secular reason anyway but most people are Christian in America... so either they're 'not following the teachings right' or they're just douchebags. I don't think it has anything to do with Christian morality. It's generally the same, there's no moral action that religious person can do that a non believer can't.

I don't think religion should play any part in the government as it needs to assume a religion in the first place which can be seen as discriminatory. Just be neutral towards it.
This, and a part from the Treaty of Tripoli, which was signed by a President and Founding Father, as well as passed unanimously by Senate.
Quote:
As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion...

(#16 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 11th 2012, 03:49 AM

^ Indeed indeed. That's why many politicians severely piss me off around election time when they bring the whole religion thing up for debate. Seriously, stop attacking people for what religion they are, and consider their ability to run this country based on how well they are spoken and the merit of their ideas.

Regarding this thread as a whole, here's the thing: if other people are respectful of my beliefs, I will be respectful of theirs. If you want to believe that it's a sin for me to love other guys (or whatever you happen to believe), go right ahead. Fine. I don't care. But if anyone whatsoever starts attacking me, disrespecting me, etc. because I am a certain way or I don't agree with them, THAT is when I will cease to have respect for them. That's not cool. If they expect me to respect their Christian faith, or whatever faith they have, they're going to have to be respectful of my lack of said religion. Period.

One comment.

Quote:
...therefore it is un-Christian to ridicule anyone for any reason whatsoever.
So do you mean to tell me that you would not ridicule someone that acts on feelings for somebody of the same sex? Even though you consider that a sin? And you don't believe that others should ridicule people for that reason? If that is the case, good for you, and please tell that to those that are ridiculing others for who they are. If not, then to be completely honest, you're being hypocritical here. And I don't mean that as a personal attack, I mean that as a fact.

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17

(#17 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 11th 2012, 05:21 AM

Loving Linux Penguin: Well, technically Christians aren't supposed to pass judgement on sinners as we all sin. So even if you believe homosexuality is a sin, you aren't even supposed to say so.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#18 (permalink)) Old
ARootlessTree Offline
ಠ_ಠ
Regular TeenHelper

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 11th 2012, 06:00 AM

Just goes to show how flawed the whole thing is.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 14th 2012, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1 View Post
I'm not Catholic, I'm Christian, but take out the words "Catechism" and "nun" and I agree with you completely.

I know you meant this question for the OP, but I'm a Christian too so I thought I'd answer while I'm here. Yes, we are absoluetly supposed to be kind to homosexuals and love them. And yes you can be saved from all your sins (past and future) once and for all by trusting in Jesus' sacrifice on the cross to take that punishment for you (and His resurrection)...but that requires repentance (change of mind about sin)....which requires you to know that what you've done is wrong. If you deny that your homosexual actions were wrong, then you haven't really repented.
And I say bravo to every homosexual who will never repent for being homosexual, in life or in death. If you spend you life loving someone and then die and apologize for that love, turn your back on it, say it was wrong, just to get into heaven, you don't deserve heaven. And I would be ashamed of anyone who would repent for simply having fallen in love with someone of the same gender.

Also SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE!!! That is all.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Zyzz Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 14th 2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
And I say bravo to every homosexual who will never repent for being homosexual, in life or in death. If you spend you life loving someone and then die and apologize for that love, turn your back on it, say it was wrong, just to get into heaven, you don't deserve heaven. And I would be ashamed of anyone who would repent for simply having fallen in love with someone of the same gender.

Also SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE!!! That is all.
Finally someone who agrees with me about separation of church and state. Taylor I just want to adopt you as my older sister for saying that.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Name: Scott

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 14th 2012, 03:40 PM

This thread kinda relies on people outside of Christianity caring about what Christians think of them. I don't think many athiests lose sleep at night over the opinions of people who don't share their beliefs.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Henry Tyrell Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 14th 2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snufkin View Post
This thread kinda relies on people outside of Christianity caring about what Christians think of them. I don't think many athiests lose sleep at night over the opinions of people who don't share their beliefs.
I know you said 'many' so the words following are moot. I do lie awake at night for precisely that reason because my grandparents (both sets) think I'm going to burn in hell forever because I am not a Christian (also I'm bi).

As to other Christians, no, I don't really care. Unless they get involved in politics, which they are and have been for awhile.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 14th 2012, 05:01 PM

thebigmole, nobody deserves Heaven, that's the whole point of grace and mercey. And it's never wrong to love anyone, just to turn that love into romance when you are both the same gender.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 14th 2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
thebigmole, nobody deserves Heaven, that's the whole point of grace and mercey. And it's never wrong to love anyone, just to turn that love into romance when you are both the same gender.
It blows my mind that you can't see how incredibly screwed up that is. If acting on love is wrong why the hell give us the ability to in the first place?

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 14th 2012, 07:34 PM

Acting on love isn't wrong, just acting on love in that way is wrong. If you love someone of the same gender, God doesn't allow you to marry them or be romantic with them...but He allows you to act on love in other ways, like being nice to them, helping them, being their friend, etc.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 14th 2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Acting on love isn't wrong, just acting on love in that way is wrong. If you love someone of the same gender, God doesn't allow you to marry them or be romantic with them...but He allows you to act on love in other ways, like being nice to them, helping them, being their friend, etc.
That doesn't make sense because there is a difference between loving someone and being IN love with someone. Gay people fall IN love with people of the same gender, God made them that way just like He made straight people fall IN love with people of the opposite gender. So why in the world is it okay for straight people to be in love and have sex, which is what people in love do, and gay people can't? Gay people get to be IN love but only act as if they simply love that person as a friend. It just makes not even the least bit of sense.

Have you ever been in love with someone who you can't be with for whatever reason, they are in a relationship, they live far away, whatever reason. So you are in love with this person, and let's say the love you back, but you can't do anything about it. People in that situation that try to "just be friends" are miserable. It's torture, and that's how you are saying every gay person should live.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
George^^ Offline
Hi :D
Senior TeenHelper

Name: George

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 14th 2012, 08:43 PM

I have only read your original post (I am too lazy and more interested in number 3 than anything else)

Quote:
So my being pansexual is alright, but once I decide to have a female partner and do things with her, then it becomes a sin? -But aren't straight guy's and gal's all able to go and have sex and talk about their sexuality, but that's not a sin unless it's adultary or before marriage (Which are easier to get around than the sin that even through I may marry a female partner, or become male and marry a male, it's still a sin to have sex with them?)

I've said it once, I've said it twice, I've said it a thousand fucking times
That I'm OK, that I'm fine, that it's all just in my mind
But this has got the best of me, and I can't seem to sleep
It's not 'cause you're not with me, it's cause you never leave

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Offline
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 14th 2012, 10:49 PM

I saw this post as somewhat insulting, too.

"I would like to apologize for some of the 'other' Christians, who give us a bad name, but here is what you should remember about how to treat us with respect, too."

Have you ever been in a fight with someone, OP? A friend, or maybe a boyfriend? You've needed to apologize, right? Well, when you apologize, you are making amends for your own behavior. You don't make amends and then say "Yeah, but you hurt me too, and I think you should apologize too!" Even if you think that, you don't say that. At that moment, your focus should be on YOUR apology, not on tossing in a comment about how you were mistreated.

All that aside, you don't have to apologize for anyone else. Worry about YOUR actions and beliefs, not those of other people. If they act really screwed up, don't make excuses for them. They can say sorry when they realize they are acting like jerks. Instead, set a different example with how YOU act.

Like many others, I have a bone to pick on number three, because frankly, that goes against most other interpretations of God, the Bible, and sin. There is a reason there are sins called "sinful thoughts;" it's because your THOUGHTS are impure. You think about stealing a nice coat from your favorite store? That thought is impure and must be repented. You wish your friend would break up with her boyfriend so you could snag him? Again, another unclean thought. One must repent.

Therefore, I feel that it's a shaky middle ground to try and say "BEING homosexual isn't a sin, so long as you don't act on it." If you're homosexual you are thinking about it and feeling it, so according to the Bible you would still be sinning, just like with every other sin. Plus, how do you get to draw a line like that? Only part of something is sinful, but not the whole thing? That's like saying it's okay to give/get oral sex before marriage, as long as you are still an intact virgin. It violates the spirit of the law. Jesus was never about the letter of the law, he was about the spirit for it. So though that may seem "Christian" to you, it's really just seeing what you want to see.

Besides, how would that feel to you? Say being straight is a sin, but you love someone of the opposite gender. You can't tell them or marry them or have sex with them, though, but you can think about it. And you can be their friend. But you can never be with them, because THAT part is a sin.

Also, being gay, or bi, or transgendered or whatever isn't a sin. If it weren't so sad and full of hatred and deaths, even, I would think it somewhat amusing.

Here's this for a fun fact: there are 1,500 species in the world that have been observed having same-sex relationships with one another. Hell, there is a famous case of a gay penguin couple in China that just adopted a little penguin chick a few months back. And there are prominent gay relations between sheep. The only species that is ashamed of such relationships are humans.

Let's see. God invented nature. Nature holds species that engages in same-sex relationships. Humans are part of nature. So why exactly is it so bad that humans have same-sex relations? We are still animals, when you get right now to it. Just like everything else. Sure, there are many, important differences, obviously, but we are still animals.

I have never once read where Jesus told people that being gay was a sin. His message was of love, and hope, and forgiveness.

Speaking of which, the Old Testament wasn't even meant for Christians. It was delivered to orthodox Jews. Which is where those verses, that people only poorly prove, are written.

I am not an Atheist. I am a Christian.

But I believe that Jesus taught us to love one another, not to condemn one another. Not to throw stones at people. And I don't for a second believe that God does not love people of alternative sexual orientations, for if that were true, he never would have blessed me with one of the loves of my life.

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
In the hazy milk of twilight
No one had to know
The moon asked the crow...
  Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen  
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 15th 2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
That doesn't make sense because there is a difference between loving someone and being IN love with someone. Gay people fall IN love with people of the same gender, God made them that way just like He made straight people fall IN love with people of the opposite gender. So why in the world is it okay for straight people to be in love and have sex, which is what people in love do, and gay people can't? Gay people get to be IN love but only act as if they simply love that person as a friend. It just makes not even the least bit of sense.

Have you ever been in love with someone who you can't be with for whatever reason, they are in a relationship, they live far away, whatever reason. So you are in love with this person, and let's say the love you back, but you can't do anything about it. People in that situation that try to "just be friends" are miserable. It's torture, and that's how you are saying every gay person should live.
Well, before I answer you're question I'd have to know- what is your definition of "in love"? With my boyfriend and I for example, we were friends for 2 years before we started dating, and we already loved each other as friends that whole time. When we realized that we wanted to be more than friends and started seeking confirmation from God about it, we still had that same love for each other that we had as just friends, but now there is just attraction and romantic feelings added- which to me is being "in love"- it's loving someone PLUS having feelings for them. Not just one or the other. We still have the same exact love for each other as we did when we were just friends, but now there are romantc feelings added into that.

However, that doesn't mean that every time you feel attraction for someone you are meant to be with them. Feelings are of this world, so feelings lie to us. I don't mean that just for homosexual relationships; even when you're striaght and dating someone of the oposite gender, sometimes feelings lie to you and you think you're in love when God really just wants you to love that person as a friend. Yes, I have been in that position. And yes, it was hard at the time. But, now (2 years later), God has given me a guy who is so much better for me, and I realize that He knew what He was doing the whole time. It was hard at the time when I had to give up the other relationship, but so worth it later on when God rewarded me with something better.

You probably won't agree with any of that, but I'm just explaining how the bible describes being in love. It's basically just ruglar love, plus attraction, plus God wanting you to get married. If you have just the love part, you're just supposed to be friends. If you have just the attraction part, it may be just wordly lust and not of God. If you have the third one (God wantng you to get married), THAT is being in love, and the other 2 things will fall into place.

God isn't responsible for all of the feelings of the world. I mean, He let them all happen, but He didn't directly create all of them.

(#30 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 15th 2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Well, before I answer you're question I'd have to know- what is your definition of "in love"? With my boyfriend and I for example, we were friends for 2 years before we started dating, and we already loved each other as friends that whole time. When we realized that we wanted to be more than friends and started seeking confirmation from God about it, we still had that same love for each other that we had as just friends, but now there is just attraction and romantic feelings added- which to me is being "in love"- it's loving someone PLUS having feelings for them. Not just one or the other. We still have the same exact love for each other as we did when we were just friends, but now there are romantc feelings added into that.

However, that doesn't mean that every time you feel attraction for someone you are meant to be with them. Feelings are of this world, so feelings lie to us. I don't mean that just for homosexual relationships; even when you're striaght and dating someone of the oposite gender, sometimes feelings lie to you and you think you're in love when God really just wants you to love that person as a friend. Yes, I have been in that position. And yes, it was hard at the time. But, now (2 years later), God has given me a guy who is so much better for me, and I realize that He knew what He was doing the whole time. It was hard at the time when I had to give up the other relationship, but so worth it later on when God rewarded me with something better.

You probably won't agree with any of that, but I'm just explaining how the bible describes being in love. It's basically just ruglar love, plus attraction, plus God wanting you to get married. If you have just the love part, you're just supposed to be friends. If you have just the attraction part, it may be just wordly lust and not of God. If you have the third one (God wantng you to get married), THAT is being in love, and the other 2 things will fall into place.

God isn't responsible for all of the feelings of the world. I mean, He let them all happen, but He didn't directly create all of them.
So basically you are saying that if you don't believe in God you are incapable of falling in love. I mean there are a lot of people out there who never get married, because it's just not for them, but trust me they are in love. You don't need a piece of paper to make you in love. I just want to ask you something. I know you don't agree with gay marriage, but if you were old enough to vote would you be actively trying to keep gay marriage illegal? And if you would, you do realize that doing that with only your religious beliefs as a basis is wrong, and against the Constitution of the United States right?

(#31 (permalink)) Old
ARootlessTree Offline
ಠ_ಠ
Regular TeenHelper

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 15th 2012, 08:12 PM

Shifting the goalposts all over this thread.

(#32 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 15th 2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Aww man, I sinned today. But, it felt damn good.

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."

5 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#33 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 15th 2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
So basically you are saying that if you don't believe in God you are incapable of falling in love. I mean there are a lot of people out there who never get married, because it's just not for them, but trust me they are in love. You don't need a piece of paper to make you in love. I just want to ask you something. I know you don't agree with gay marriage, but if you were old enough to vote would you be actively trying to keep gay marriage illegal? And if you would, you do realize that doing that with only your religious beliefs as a basis is wrong, and against the Constitution of the United States right?
God is love, so it's hard for me to say that someone can really know love without knowing God. My boyfriend and I were actually talking about this recently, and he described it as "off brand love". People who aren't Christians experience a form of "love", but it isn't the perfectly pure love that comes from God. And I am old enough to vote, and yes I plan to vote for keeping gay marriage illegal. Well, I'm not going to vote for a candidate based on just that, it would be based on many factors (for example, Obama claimed to be against gay marriage in the last election, but I wouldn't vote for him). I don't believe it's wrong, but yes I know that it's against the constitution.

(#34 (permalink)) Old
ARootlessTree Offline
ಠ_ಠ
Regular TeenHelper

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 15th 2012, 09:55 PM

So pure love is only exclusive to Christians? Doesn't seem like an all-loving, all-knowing God's work, to allow so many to be born in indigenous tribes who don't know who Christ is, or unbelievers to never experience true love. It's really hard to fathom how you buy into this rhetoric.

(#35 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 15th 2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
God is love, so it's hard for me to say that someone can really know love without knowing God. My boyfriend and I were actually talking about this recently, and he described it as "off brand love". People who aren't Christians experience a form of "love", but it isn't the perfectly pure love that comes from God. And I am old enough to vote, and yes I plan to vote for keeping gay marriage illegal. Well, I'm not going to vote for a candidate based on just that, it would be based on many factors (for example, Obama claimed to be against gay marriage in the last election, but I wouldn't vote for him). I don't believe it's wrong, but yes I know that it's against the constitution.
Well I hate to be harsh but if you can't follow the rules, especially one that's in the First amendment, that this country is based on why are living here?

(#36 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 16th 2012, 12:59 AM

Because no country is going to perfectly fit my beliefs, and this country has so much freedom. Plus I still live with my mom and she lives here, and so do the majority of my friends. America doesn't perfectly fit my beliefs, but neither does any other country. I follow our country's laws as long as they don't go against God's laws...even as much as not J walking. lol

(#37 (permalink)) Old
ARootlessTree Offline
ಠ_ಠ
Regular TeenHelper

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 16th 2012, 04:15 AM

Megan, what denomination are you?

(#38 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 16th 2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Megan, what denomination are you?
I've asked this question before. She responded that basically she's a fundamentalist Christian because she believes that you should take as much of the bible literally without it being compromised. But she just goes by Christian because she doesn't care about titles.

Megan you can correct me if I'm wrong.

(#39 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 16th 2012, 11:38 AM

You're right.

(#40 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

Re: I want to apologize for some of my fellow Christians - March 16th 2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Because no country is going to perfectly fit my beliefs, and this country has so much freedom. Plus I still live with my mom and she lives here, and so do the majority of my friends. America doesn't perfectly fit my beliefs, but neither does any other country. I follow our country's laws as long as they don't go against God's laws...even as much as not J walking. lol
The United States does NOT have freedom and it's utterly sad that you and other christians are stuck in your own worlds, to think that we are all free.

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."

Closed Thread