TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
purplemask Offline
Average Joe

Name: Regina

Predominantly male atheist community, also misogynistic? - March 19th 2012, 05:02 PM

When I joined the atheist community, I guess I had this expectation of people with rational minds and humanistic qualities. I joined the atheist group at my university, and it's almost completely males, which doesn't bother me. What DOES bother me is that the more I'm around them, the more I realize probably at least 30% of the things they say are sexist. I usually laugh off the comments, but it has recently dawned on me that maybe they really DO think they are superior just because of their gender.
I read on article somewhere about Richard Dawkins saying some insensitive things in an email--http://skepchick.org/2011/07/the-privilege-delusion/ --not saying that Dawkins hasn't accomplished great things, and I only came across that article on someone else's facebook, but the question is, does anyone else see misogyny within their local (or broader) atheist community? Thoughts?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Predominantly male atheist community, also misogynistic? - March 19th 2012, 06:21 PM

From all the male atheists I know, they aren't sexist in anyway. I'd like to think that isn't the case.

I'm all for the empowerment of women anyway. Especially in poorer countries... so at least you know at least one lady loving atheist

Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Zace Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Isaac/Zac

Re: Predominantly male atheist community, also misogynistic? - March 20th 2012, 02:28 AM

I don't think it's atheists that are sexist, I think there are going to be sexist/misogynistic men no matter where you go or what belief you look at.
To answer your question I haven't seen misogyny or sexism myself because I don't go to any atheist meetups, but i have heard about the problem before on some of the podcasts I listen to. For the most part I think the atheist community is still better off than a religious one since they don't have any excuse for their behaviour, but i don't think anything will change untill more women go to atheist gatherings and educate them.

Last edited by Zace; March 20th 2012 at 02:36 AM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
ARootlessTree Offline
ಠ_ಠ
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Toz

Re: Predominantly male atheist community, also misogynistic? - March 20th 2012, 02:57 AM

Zac hit the nail on the head.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
J-man Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Predominantly male atheist community, also misogynistic? - March 26th 2012, 03:48 AM

The Atheists at the Atheists Soc in my Uni are almost rabid in their hatred of anything on the right of the political spectrum or society. Also in a discussion on the Atheist Soc page on facebook they almost seemed to hate a politician purely for the fact that he was religious rather than for his policies.

That being said I find Atheists to be, in general, reasonable people and Atheism in of itself does not mean you have to treat religion and the religious with hatred. Also the Atheists at my Uni are incredibly passionate about the equal rights of homosexuals and women in society.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Predominantly male atheist community, also misogynistic? - March 26th 2012, 04:10 AM

Rather than being an atheist quality, my research points to the fact that it was just a concidence that the atheists are your school are misogynisitic.

See, I've been looking into this topic a lot, and it seems that rather than being an atheist or religious quality, it primarily is found in assholes, which can be of any religion, age, gender, or walk of life.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
AnaMZ Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Predominantly male atheist community, also misogynistic? - April 1st 2012, 11:15 AM

Unfortunately you can encounter misogyny anywhere, even in the places that you would least expect it. On the bright(ish) side, if these are true card-carrying atheists that you speak of, then they're up for being enlightened, and this is your chance to do it! Atheists have no real excuse for misogyny, racism, homophobia or any other kind of prejudice, so do us all a favour and remind these lads that they're meant to be more forward-thinking than that.

Dear You,
You can make it through this. The clouds will not last forever.
From Me.

Closed Thread