TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
George^^ Offline
Hi :D
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
George^^'s Avatar
 
Name: George
Age: 21
Gender: Other
Location: Guess

Posts: 993
Blog Entries: 29
Join Date: January 20th 2012

Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 19th 2012, 11:18 PM

The Question:

I've never actually read the bible, or anything (Unless a comic version that I didn't even finish counts!) I wanted to know where the whole "homophobic, God hates gays" idea comes from. I honestly don't understand. My whole life (Okay, the times that I've actually bothered to get off my lazy ass out of bed to go) I've learned that God loves you no matter your sins and if you pray he forgives you and all that.

So, where does that whole idea of god hating gays come from?

-Sorry if there is another thread like this, and I was just curious about it.


I've said it once, I've said it twice, I've said it a thousand fucking times
That I'm OK, that I'm fine, that it's all just in my mind
But this has got the best of me, and I can't seem to sleep
It's not 'cause you're not with me, it's cause you never leave
   
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 836961 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Megan1's Avatar
 
Name: Megan
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 928
Join Date: February 6th 2010

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 19th 2012, 11:39 PM

The idea of "God hates gays" is not true and is not in the bible.

The idea of "God hates when gay people act on their homosexual feelings because those feelings are not from God, but He still loves them anyways." is true. It comes from a few different places in the bible. The first one is Leviticus 22, where God gave Moses the law saying that homosexual sex is wrong. Some people argue that this law was written only for the people in Israel, but Jesus made it very clear in the gospels that none of us should ignore the laws that Moses wrote. That is, unless the New Testament clearly says otherwise.

It also says numerous times throughout the bible that a man should have "one wife"; it doesn't say "one wife or one husband". Some people argue that they just left that part out, but God doesn't just conveniently forget to add things. Everything that God wants to tell us IS in the bible.

There are a few other times where it is mentioned, but it is debatable whether it's what they actually meant or not in those ones, so I'll stick to just telling you the 2 cases where it's for sure.
   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
chickenonsteroids's Avatar
 

Posts: 509
Join Date: August 9th 2011

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 19th 2012, 11:46 PM

It's in Leviticus. God doesn't want gay people to enjoy themselves by having sex because he's angry all the time even though he created them that way.

Also, people take the parts they want to literally and the others are metaphorical so yea pick and choose.

If god hadn't had sex with Mary using his magic sperm then he'd still be an angry virgin.

It also mentions homosexuality being 'test from god' in the Quran too. So it's not just Christianity that's backwards in that sense.


Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion
I can't get enough
*********
 
Koharuchan's Avatar
 
Name: Haru
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: Totoro's Hollow, just south of Iraw

Posts: 2,852
Blog Entries: 54
Join Date: March 20th 2011

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 19th 2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1 View Post
Some people argue that they just left that part out, but God doesn't just conveniently forget to add things. Everything that God wants to tell us IS in the bible.
Maybe man left it out, because god didn't write the bible.

This is what I believe. God loves all his children, right? That includes homosexuals. I've seen you say in the past on other threads that the feelings are natural, but the actions are a sin. It's borderline hypocrisy; It's okay to be gay, but don't go make gay love with another gay person. That makes no sense. When people say that homosexuals aren't sinning as long as they don't act on their homosexual urges and feelings, it makes me so angry. It makes me angry because that is basically saying that gays aren't allowed to know the joy of falling in love without being condemned to hell.

Gays are not hurting anyone by being gay. Let them live their lives however they want to.


I love my Big Sleepy Bear.
I still fill my panties; do YOU?
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde
Buddy since 12/25/11 Self Expressions mod since 4/23/12 Helplink mentor since 5/9/12 . . . . . .Skittlify.
I was blessed by your companionship from 12/24/01-6/27/13
   
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Megan1's Avatar
 
Name: Megan
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 928
Join Date: February 6th 2010

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 20th 2012, 12:13 AM

Yes men wrote the bible, inspired by God and what He told them. I can see you arguing that they forgot to leave it out one time, but when it's written tons and tons of times and it's not mentioned, I don't see how that could be a mistake. Plus, there's still the Leviticus referance either way.
   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion
I can't get enough
*********
 
Koharuchan's Avatar
 
Name: Haru
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: Totoro's Hollow, just south of Iraw

Posts: 2,852
Blog Entries: 54
Join Date: March 20th 2011

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 20th 2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1 View Post
Yes men wrote the bible, inspired by God and what He told them. I can see you arguing that they forgot to leave it out one time, but when it's written tons and tons of times and it's not mentioned, I don't see how that could be a mistake. Plus, there's still the Leviticus referance either way.
Okay, but please answer this. What about what I said about gays loving each other? Can you really honestly tell me that you truly believe it's right that it's not a sin to BE gay, but to make gay love with another is wrong and will send you to hell? Do you really believe it's right that being gay means you can't know the joy of loving another person without being condemned?


I love my Big Sleepy Bear.
I still fill my panties; do YOU?
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde
Buddy since 12/25/11 Self Expressions mod since 4/23/12 Helplink mentor since 5/9/12 . . . . . .Skittlify.
I was blessed by your companionship from 12/24/01-6/27/13
   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
George^^ Offline
Hi :D
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
George^^'s Avatar
 
Name: George
Age: 21
Gender: Other
Location: Guess

Posts: 993
Blog Entries: 29
Join Date: January 20th 2012

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 20th 2012, 12:22 AM

Quote:
It comes from a few different places in the bible. The first one is Leviticus 22, where God gave Moses the law saying that homosexual sex is wrong. Some people argue that this law was written only for the people in Israel, but Jesus made it very clear in the gospels that none of us should ignore the laws that Moses wrote. That is, unless the New Testament clearly says otherwise.
... So basically, Everyone who is homosexual and likes to have sex (Which is a large percentage, even if you count in that there are asexuals...) is screwed. No one wants to die without having sex in the way they want to. Almost everyone has that desire.

I don't get why homosexual sex is that big of a deal through, two people of the same gender having sex just means that there isn't a baby and yet another mouth to feed on this earth, which has probably slowed down the whole running out of resources for everyone.


I've said it once, I've said it twice, I've said it a thousand fucking times
That I'm OK, that I'm fine, that it's all just in my mind
But this has got the best of me, and I can't seem to sleep
It's not 'cause you're not with me, it's cause you never leave
   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Megan1's Avatar
 
Name: Megan
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 928
Join Date: February 6th 2010

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 20th 2012, 12:46 AM

(This is to both of you.)

I have heard of several gay people who have gotten saved and given their feelings to God and have been changed and have great lives. I'm not saying that their feelings always go away instantly, because sometimes they don't and they do have to stay single...but that's the same for straight people too, sometimes God calls us to be single. Sometimes He wants to use us for something bigger/better than a romantic relationship.
   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion
I can't get enough
*********
 
Koharuchan's Avatar
 
Name: Haru
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: Totoro's Hollow, just south of Iraw

Posts: 2,852
Blog Entries: 54
Join Date: March 20th 2011

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 20th 2012, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1 View Post
(This is to both of you.)

I have heard of several gay people who have gotten saved and given their feelings to God and have been changed and have great lives. I'm not saying that their feelings always go away instantly, because sometimes they don't and they do have to stay single...but that's the same for straight people too, sometimes God calls us to be single. Sometimes He wants to use us for something bigger/better than a romantic relationship.
I have Christian friends who are gay and bisexual. A gay person's homosexual feelings do NOT go away. You are born gay, you do not choose to be gay. If you are gay, you are gay. That does not change, whether you've been saved by god or not.


I love my Big Sleepy Bear.
I still fill my panties; do YOU?
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde
Buddy since 12/25/11 Self Expressions mod since 4/23/12 Helplink mentor since 5/9/12 . . . . . .Skittlify.
I was blessed by your companionship from 12/24/01-6/27/13
   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough
*********
 
Briana's Avatar
 
Name: Bri
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Neverland, Ohio

Posts: 2,851
Blog Entries: 232
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 20th 2012, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1 View Post
Yes men wrote the bible, inspired by God and what He told them. I can see you arguing that they forgot to leave it out one time, but when it's written tons and tons of times and it's not mentioned, I don't see how that could be a mistake. Plus, there's still the Leviticus referance either way.
WAIT...everyone freeezeee. *shakes uncontrollably as God comes to me* He told me that Oreos are better than chocolate chip cookies and that they should be illegal and anyone who eats them shall be stoned.


"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."
   
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough
*********
 
Briana's Avatar
 
Name: Bri
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Neverland, Ohio

Posts: 2,851
Blog Entries: 232
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 20th 2012, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1 View Post
(This is to both of you.)

I have heard of several gay people who have gotten saved and given their feelings to God and have been changed and have great lives. I'm not saying that their feelings always go away instantly, because sometimes they don't and they do have to stay single...but that's the same for straight people too, sometimes God calls us to be single. Sometimes He wants to use us for something bigger/better than a romantic relationship.
Once you are born gay, you never go straight. They may possibly be covering it all up, sitting in the closet and going to try to be straight. But it's been proven time in and time out that your are born gay.


"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."
   
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Megan1's Avatar
 
Name: Megan
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 928
Join Date: February 6th 2010

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 20th 2012, 02:28 AM

There ARE people who are born gay and turned straight when they were willing to realize that it was wrong and asked for God's help. Again, I'm not claiming that it always happens, but I'm saying that it definitely has happened.
   
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion
I can't get enough
*********
 
Koharuchan's Avatar
 
Name: Haru
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: Totoro's Hollow, just south of Iraw

Posts: 2,852
Blog Entries: 54
Join Date: March 20th 2011

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 20th 2012, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1 View Post
There ARE people who are born gay and turned straight when they were willing to realize that it was wrong and asked for God's help. Again, I'm not claiming that it always happens, but I'm saying that it definitely has happened.
That is complete bull. Tell that to a close friend of mine whose entire family is Christian and hates his gayness. You think he wants to be gay? Hell no! But he CAN'T change that. That is NOT how it works. Any gay person who claims to have gone straight is either attempting to hide their true selves or are simply lying to themselves. If you are born gay, you cannot change that. I know many people who truly wish they could be straight, but can't. And next, being gay is not wrong! There is NOTHING wrong with being gay. NOTHING.

Again, complete bull.


I love my Big Sleepy Bear.
I still fill my panties; do YOU?
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde
Buddy since 12/25/11 Self Expressions mod since 4/23/12 Helplink mentor since 5/9/12 . . . . . .Skittlify.
I was blessed by your companionship from 12/24/01-6/27/13
   
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while
********
 
NevermindMe's Avatar
 
Gender: Male

Posts: 1,816
Join Date: March 8th 2011

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 20th 2012, 03:45 AM

Megan: You do realize recent studies have shown that being gay may very well be linked to hormonal balances in the body, right?

Based on the number of siblings (and as a result the amount of the mother's hormones remaining that are used during pregnancy) can increase the chances of being gay. By the time a mother has seve sons (and her hormones are basically "used up") the chance of the eighth being gay is 50%. As seen here:

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/jun/27/science/sci-brothers27

Finger lenght also shows hormonal balances in an individual's body. With different lenghts indicated higher levels of different hormones (testosterone and estrogen, mostly.) This has been common knowledge for years. However just recently we made the connection that finger length may also indicat sexuality, also showing that gay people are indeed born gay. See that here:

http://www.unl.edu/rhames/courses/readings/homofinger/homo_finger.html

Moreover gay people are more likely to be left handed than their straight counterparts, further showing there may be some shared quality between all gay people (aside from the obvious, of course.) see it here:

http://www.narth.com/docs/lefthand.html

Another point is that penile length may contribute to if someone actually is gay or not. Penis size is linked to genetics and testesterone levels. That explains why it grows so rapidly during puberty, however gay men's penises are generally larger than the straight male, meaning gay men likely have different homronal balances, which contributes to their larger than average equipment. See that study here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10410197

and a more recent example here:

http://www.salon.com/1999/11/04/size/

So it's unlikely, improbable and illogical to assume that being "saved" by Christainity will "cure" someone's gayness. It's apart of who they are, a rather large part, and in saying God could change them is surprisingly arrogant. God made them that way for a reason, looking at the evidence I provided he literally built their genetic make-up to be gay. He won't (and possibly cannot) change them.

- Justin



"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

Last edited by NevermindMe; March 20th 2012 at 03:51 PM.
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
purplemask Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
purplemask's Avatar
 
Name: Regina
Age: 28
Gender: Female

Posts: 102
Join Date: May 11th 2009

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 20th 2012, 04:25 AM

its in leviticus, alongside these: if your parents weren't married before you were born, sorry, you didn't make the cut into heaven (23:2). Feel free to marry a war captive, but if she isn't good in bed, she's free to go, no harm done (21:14). Were you a stubborn and rebellious teenage son? Sorry, you must be stoned (21:21). Girls, do you ever wear pants? God DETESTS when you wear pants (22:5). Pooping? Unholy. (23:13). I really could go on and on and on...
Since God is all knowing, I wonder why he didn't tell them how to cure cancer or something.
   
4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
purplemask Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
purplemask's Avatar
 
Name: Regina
Age: 28
Gender: Female

Posts: 102
Join Date: May 11th 2009

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 20th 2012, 04:35 AM

Oopsies poopsies, those are deuteronomy. it's in leviticus 18:22 and 20:13. However, read Deuteronomy, and explain to why these things are so incredibly important, so offensive to God, so that they must be included in the most divine book of moral authority.
   
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict
************
 
Coffee.'s Avatar
 
Name: Traci
Age: 26
Gender: she/her/hers
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 8,147
Blog Entries: 639
Join Date: October 29th 2009

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 20th 2012, 04:55 AM

The bible was also written much after the words of Jesus were recorded and translated numerous times.
Just saying.


I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Tyr. Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Tyr.'s Avatar
 

Posts: 216
Join Date: December 30th 2011

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 20th 2012, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1 View Post
It comes from a few different places in the bible. The first one is Leviticus 22, where God gave Moses the law saying that homosexual sex is wrong.

But genocide, rape, slavery, infanticide and sexism is all alright?

Leviticus 25:44-46
Quote:
However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way.
Exodus 21:20-21
Quote:
When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property.
Samuel 15:3
Quote:
Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.
Ephesians 5:22-33
Quote:
Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.
Timothy 2:12
Quote:
I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.
   
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 20th 2012, 06:14 AM

In Leviticus, it certainly condemns homosexuality, however, it should be noted that it isn't generalized to everyone. Instead it applies specifically to Israeli children. Part of the reason was certain individuals who worshipped Moloch often engaged in sexual acts considered deviant by Christianity, so they sought to tell prospective Christians not to engage in such acts. Homosexuality enters the picture as a result of vague interpretations of Ancient Greek scripture written by Paul. I say vague because it's unclear what he actually meant. If you apply the translation of, "homosexual" to other contexts, it doesn't make much sense. It specifies only sex because technically everyone sins from lust.

I personally think it's a load of crap as it goes against basic Christian teachings, yet somehow many Christians view this hypocrisy as non-hypocritical fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1
There ARE people who are born gay and turned straight when they were willing to realize that it was wrong and asked for God's help. Again, I'm not claiming that it always happens, but I'm saying that it definitely has happened.
Assuming it has happened, I would expect that it'd be published somewhere as it is monumental. Do you have any links or just anecdotal evidence?

The problem I see is someone could certainly state they're attracted to the opposite sex (i.e. to avoid being further ridiculed) but if you subject them to a battery of verifiable tests that examine their unconscious reactions (i.e. pupil dilation), would they show absolutely no attraction to the same sex? I find it hard to believe given the concept people are raised to be of a certain sexual orientation is for the most part discredited. If you have RECENT studies or articles, then you have a stronger case, otherwise you have squat.


I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
   
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
chickenonsteroids's Avatar
 

Posts: 509
Join Date: August 9th 2011

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 20th 2012, 07:00 AM

*facepalm*

I honestly don't see what's wrong with being gay. Are they trying to make you gay Megan? if so , how's that going? If they aren't, why do you give a damn about what the fuck they're doing with themselves. They can still lead good lives. They can still 'beg for forgiveness' (to inflate god's ego). So what's the problem?

Lemme tell you what you're essentially saying ' people have been born black but then turn white after they've been saved' you see how ridiculous that sounds?

Also I don't get who certain parts of the bible are directed to. Which parts do I take seriously? (that's an honest question)


Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.
   
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Terry Offline
Canadian Bacon
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Terry's Avatar
 
Name: Terry
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Location: Canada

Posts: 367
Join Date: May 29th 2009

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 20th 2012, 12:04 PM

I feel really sorry for you Megan, if you are actually following all of the teachings of the bible. There is so much self denigration in the bible that it is staggering. We are created as filth and are expected to apologize for a crappy creator's bad workmanship?

Treat others as you'd like to be treated and all that nonsense, but hey don't forget to discriminate specific groups of people.
   
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion
I can't get enough
*********
 
Koharuchan's Avatar
 
Name: Haru
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: Totoro's Hollow, just south of Iraw

Posts: 2,852
Blog Entries: 54
Join Date: March 20th 2011

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 20th 2012, 03:23 PM

As a Christian, there is someone I would like to quote. And I agree with him completely.

"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." -Ghandi


I love my Big Sleepy Bear.
I still fill my panties; do YOU?
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde
Buddy since 12/25/11 Self Expressions mod since 4/23/12 Helplink mentor since 5/9/12 . . . . . .Skittlify.
I was blessed by your companionship from 12/24/01-6/27/13
   
4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Megan1's Avatar
 
Name: Megan
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 928
Join Date: February 6th 2010

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 20th 2012, 06:08 PM

Before I answer anyone's comments, I should say that when I said Leviticus 22, I actually meant Leviticus 18:22. Sorry about that.

Haru: Again, I never said it always goes away, but I'm saying that it has before. There are many people who have given testimonies about it, one of which was a friend of mine.

Justin: Yes, I realize that it could be linked to hormones. God is bigger than hormones and can still take those things away.

Regina: Those were laws about spiritual uncleanness, which doesn't apply now because Jesus makes us clean. It says that in the New Testament. Like I said, I do believe the whole bible, but I believe it in context.

Traci: If you get the most literal translations available, the gospels were written down 60 years after Jesus (but still written first-hand from people who experienced Him) and were only translated once.

Yogi: The bible also says to obey your country's laws, so the Leviticus and Exodus ones don't apply here now because slavery isn't legal. The Samuel 15 one is talking about war, and yes killing during war (when truly needed, when you're being attacked) does seem to still be okay with God as far as I can tell. The Ephesians one does still apply, and the 1 Timothy one still applies in a way....If you read the whole paragraph, it is talking about teaching in a church, it doesn't mean that women can't talk anywhere. Plus, in context, it was about women who stand up and disrupt church services. Different people take this different ways, so I can't tell you for sure, but I take it to mean for women to not be pastors and not disrupt in the middle of a service. It doesn't mean for women to never talk at all.

You'reActuallySmart!: Jesus said to not disobey the laws that Moses wrote to the Israelites, so He applied it to everyone. And I don't have links to stories, but I've heard it on Christian radio stations (one being Living on the Edge), as well as first hand from people who have had it happen to them. Why isn't it a bigger story? I wish I knew. Probably because people don't believe it.

chickenonsteroids: It doesn't affect me that people are gay, and it's no worse than any sin that I've done like lying and whatnot...but I'd be like this about any sin, simply because I'm not going to deny the fact that it goes against God.

Terry: No need to feel sorry for me, I'm happier than ever. Yes we are all worthless on our own, butthe King and Creator of the whole universe gave us His worth because He loved us that much. The second part is why we can rejoice.
   
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while
********
 
NevermindMe's Avatar
 
Gender: Male

Posts: 1,816
Join Date: March 8th 2011

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 20th 2012, 06:17 PM

Megan1: No, not really. That's like saying "God is bigger than AIDs, he can take it away if your pray really hard." It's insulting to say that somehow some people aren't religious enough, or pray hard enough to be "normal" or whatever passes as the social normal. All animals display homosexuality, it's not a solely human trait. It's totally natural, and obviously something God put in us is he really is all knowing.

Anyhow, the Bible states time and time again that it is not our place to pass judgement on others. It is not our place to point out the sins of others. We all sin, even if it really is a sin (which I've shown every reason to believe it'\s not.) it's one more in the literal thousands we each comit every single day.

- Justin



"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic
   
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Megan1's Avatar
 
Name: Megan
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 928
Join Date: February 6th 2010

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 20th 2012, 06:25 PM

God CAN heal diseases. Again, I'm not saying that He always does every time we ask, but I'm saying that He can and He has before.

And the bible doesn't say not to point out sins. It only says to fix your own sins before you try to help another person with theirs.

You're right, it's no worse than the other sins that people do every day- those are bad too. The difference is in realizing that you've sinned and that you're a sinner in need of a Savior. And by "you" I don't mean literally just you, I mean everyone including myself.
   
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while
********
 
NevermindMe's Avatar
 
Gender: Male

Posts: 1,816
Join Date: March 8th 2011

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 20th 2012, 06:29 PM

Megan1: I know he can, but often times he chooses not to intervene. Once you have AIDs, that's it you die. No amount of praying will help, because it's never helped anyone else. Just as no amount of praying has fixed someone from being gay. (although it may have "fixed" their acting on it as they feel ashamed.)

- Justin



"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic
   
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
chickenonsteroids's Avatar
 

Posts: 509
Join Date: August 9th 2011

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 20th 2012, 06:45 PM

Jesus Christ this is annoying.

God heals nothing. He must enjoy doing nothing too. It's that type of thinking that usually means people thank god instead of doctors. If god was so amazing why not go to church instead? Why not save your money and give it to a faith healer? Do you not trust them?

Being gay is not a sin. Acting on those desires is not committing a sin. God is meant to love everyone and i'd like to think that if he actually does exist he's not a massive dick face that makes people gay just so that they can hate themselves for the rest of their lives.

What type of honest person would say we're all worthless just because we don't believe in something without sufficient evidence?

I'm starting to think that if Jesus did come back today, he'd have nothing to do with the Christian faith.


Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.
   
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Megan1's Avatar
 
Name: Megan
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 928
Join Date: February 6th 2010

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 20th 2012, 07:21 PM

Justin, there have been cases where aids has been healed. Sometimes healing is God's will and sometimes it might not be.

Chickenonsteroids (sorry, I don't think I ever got your real name), I wouldn't trust just anyone who claimed to be a "healer", no. But, I just pray to God for healing. I know there are people who have the gift of healing, but it's hard to know which ones are of God and which aren't, so I don't really mess with that.
   
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while
********
 
NevermindMe's Avatar
 
Gender: Male

Posts: 1,816
Join Date: March 8th 2011

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 20th 2012, 07:27 PM

Megan1: Now you have me intrigued. HIV can be fought off or healed, but I was unaware AIDs could be. If you could provide a source that would be awesome. If someone truly had the antibodies to fight off AIDs they could potentially cure the diease using that person's blood.

- Justin



"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic
   
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Megan1's Avatar
 
Name: Megan
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 928
Join Date: February 6th 2010

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 20th 2012, 07:38 PM

There is no known cure, I don't mean a medicine that cures it or anything, but God can on His own.

But I want to make it clear for the millionth time, just in case, that I'm not claiming everyone gets healed every time they pray for healing. I'm just saying that it's possible and has happened.
   
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while
********
 
NevermindMe's Avatar
 
Gender: Male

Posts: 1,816
Join Date: March 8th 2011

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 20th 2012, 07:43 PM

Megan1: Again though, could you provide a link to peolple who have overcome the diease? I would really like to see it. Genuinly.

- Justin



"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic
   
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Megan1's Avatar
 
Name: Megan
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 928
Join Date: February 6th 2010

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 20th 2012, 08:21 PM

I'm not sure if I have a link. Let me check.
   
  (#33 (permalink)) Old
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
chickenonsteroids's Avatar
 

Posts: 509
Join Date: August 9th 2011

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 20th 2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKmadu619 View Post
Megan1: Again though, could you provide a link to peolple who have overcome the diease? I would really like to see it. Genuinly.

- Justin
I have some:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ht/9519657.stm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14406818

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/artic...0_Awoman335941

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?i...1#.T2j10MVmKSo

"It was the will of God". True story.


Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.
   
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough
*********
 
Briana's Avatar
 
Name: Bri
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Neverland, Ohio

Posts: 2,851
Blog Entries: 232
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 20th 2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1 View Post
God CAN heal diseases. Again, I'm not saying that He always does every time we ask, but I'm saying that He can and He has before.

And the bible doesn't say not to point out sins. It only says to fix your own sins before you try to help another person with theirs.

You're right, it's no worse than the other sins that people do every day- those are bad too. The difference is in realizing that you've sinned and that you're a sinner in need of a Savior. And by "you" I don't mean literally just you, I mean everyone including myself.
Sooooo, when is he going to Heal cancer?


"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."
   
  (#35 (permalink)) Old
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
chickenonsteroids's Avatar
 

Posts: 509
Join Date: August 9th 2011

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 20th 2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briana View Post


Sooooo, when is he going to Heal cancer?
Haven't you heard? He works in mysterious ways


Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.
   
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#36 (permalink)) Old
Terry Offline
Canadian Bacon
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Terry's Avatar
 
Name: Terry
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Location: Canada

Posts: 367
Join Date: May 29th 2009

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 20th 2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenonsteroids View Post
Haven't you heard? He works in mysterious ways
This made me chuckle, you are awesome
   
  (#37 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion
I can't get enough
*********
 
Koharuchan's Avatar
 
Name: Haru
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: Totoro's Hollow, just south of Iraw

Posts: 2,852
Blog Entries: 54
Join Date: March 20th 2011

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 20th 2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1 View Post
Haru: Again, I never said it always goes away, but I'm saying that it has before. There are many people who have given testimonies about it, one of which was a friend of mine.
If what you said is true, I've got news for you. Your friend is lying. If a gay person goes straight, they either:
A. Are claiming to be straight to avoid ridicule
B. Are lying to themselves and wanting to believe they aren't gay because they don't like the fact that they are gay

God does not turn gay people straight. That's like saying god can turn a white person black. It's stupid. It does not happen. What if you were gay? I bet you'd be on here defending gays instead of standing against them. Thousands of people have killed themselves because of the bullying and ridicule they endured for being gay. You really think they wouldn't have taken the chance to go straight if they could? They can't. You are born gay and that DOES NOT CHANGE. No matter how much you pray, no matter how devout you are, a gay person does not simply stop being gay. PERIOD.

Bottom line. Christianity preaches of an all loving and forgiving god. And he teaches us to love one another and accept one another. It is HYPOCRITICAL to exclude gay people from this love and acceptance. That is why I am both a Christian and a gay rights activist.


I love my Big Sleepy Bear.
I still fill my panties; do YOU?
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde
Buddy since 12/25/11 Self Expressions mod since 4/23/12 Helplink mentor since 5/9/12 . . . . . .Skittlify.
I was blessed by your companionship from 12/24/01-6/27/13
   
  (#38 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
thebigmole's Avatar
 
Name: Taylor
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Orlando, Fl

Posts: 1,668
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 21st 2012, 12:39 AM

I feel like banging my head against a wall, for a very long time. I just, I just can't even... Ok aside from how unbelievably wrong and just stupid it is to take ANYTHING in the Bible seriously I have been so annoyed with Christians lately. I mean I have this friend who is a musical theatre actress, like myself. I love the girl to death but she just doesn't have the talent, she's got the passion but not the talent. And she keeps not getting work and I see these posts on her Facebook saying, "God must have a better plan for me. God will put me in the right place." No no he won't. God is not magically going to make you a better singer. And it's a harmful belief, because if she refuses to come to terms with her limits she's going to keep auditioning for things she doesn't have a chance for, and she's not going to make ANY money. And then how in the world is she going to live. But because she assumes that her not getting a job is God's work and not her own fault, she'll never learn.

To get more on topic, all I can say is that I see no reason to automatically respect this "being" even if He is our creator. Respect is earned, not an automatic, I don't care who or what you are. And if you REALLY believe that God thinks all of these dumbass things he thinks, why the hell would you want to respect that, why the hell would you want to follow that. Use some common sense and see that people who aren't harming anyone else should be allowed to love whoever the hell they want. And women should be allowed to do whatever the hell they need to do to deal with their womanly problems. Use your brain, it is capable of forming an opinion on it's own and not with the "Bible's" support.


"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin
   
  (#39 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Megan1's Avatar
 
Name: Megan
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 928
Join Date: February 6th 2010

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 21st 2012, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briana View Post

Sooooo, when is he going to Heal cancer?
He has healed certain cases of cancer before. Again, not every single case. And no, I don't know why it only happens sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koharuchan View Post
If what you said is true, I've got news for you. Your friend is lying. If a gay person goes straight, they either:
A. Are claiming to be straight to avoid ridicule
B. Are lying to themselves and wanting to believe they aren't gay because they don't like the fact that they are gay

God does not turn gay people straight. That's like saying god can turn a white person black. It's stupid. It does not happen. What if you were gay? I bet you'd be on here defending gays instead of standing against them. Thousands of people have killed themselves because of the bullying and ridicule they endured for being gay. You really think they wouldn't have taken the chance to go straight if they could? They can't. You are born gay and that DOES NOT CHANGE. No matter how much you pray, no matter how devout you are, a gay person does not simply stop being gay. PERIOD.

Bottom line. Christianity preaches of an all loving and forgiving god. And he teaches us to love one another and accept one another. It is HYPOCRITICAL to exclude gay people from this love and acceptance. That is why I am both a Christian and a gay rights activist.
You have no way of knowing that they didn't really turn straight. You're assuming because you want that to be true and because you've never seen it happen. Also, God COULD turn a white person black if He wanted to, but He has no reason to.

And no, if I had attraction for the same gender, I still wouldn't be here defending their actions. How do I know? Because I have had feelings that I wanted to keep that God wanted me to get rid of, and I obeyed Him. No they weren't homosexual feelings, but they were still things that I wanted for myself that I had to admit were sin and give up.

I never said that God doesn't love gay people- He definitely does. And for the ones who turn to Him and His salvation, He forgives them too. But that doesn't mean their actions are okay. I am a sinner just like them, we all are, and I'm not saying that they are any worse than me. There are only two types of people: saved sinners and unsaved sinners. On my own, I'm no better than unsaved people and I never claimed to be.

I think I'm done here now, because this debating isn't doing any good.
   
  (#40 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while
********
 
NevermindMe's Avatar
 
Gender: Male

Posts: 1,816
Join Date: March 8th 2011

Re: Where does the whole "God Hates Gay's" Idea Come From? - March 21st 2012, 04:04 AM

Megan1: Or radiology does...

People with cancer cannot get better without help. God helps those who help themselves.

- Justin



"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
god hates gay, idea

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright ©1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.