TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

How do you view death? - April 8th 2012, 10:08 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

As we know, death is the end of the lives here on earth, and I'm wondering what people think about it in general. Are you afraid of it? Do you find it relaxing? The idea that is, not the process.

I was having a conversation with Mike on a different thread and I thought that I might as well make a separate thread for it so others can put their input in. (I know it's a pretty odd thread and I doubt many will want to respond... oh well )

Quote:
Because, I believe after death, love and peace will rule. Hate, war, and injustice will finally end. And the forgotten will be exalted. This doesn't exclude me from seeking this on Earth, but I believe selfishness will be done away with. And to me, thats exciting. I believe life is found in death.

I feel that death isn't really "death." But rather, another part of life. A better part of life. We seek equality and all these humanistic things on Earth to make a better life. Well, I find that these things are resolved in death, yet death isn't the end.
^ Those are two things Mike said that I quite like but I view death differently.

My views on death stem from the meaning of life I think humans have. Essentially I think life is absurd i.e we know our life is ultimately pointless yet we always try to find meaning in our lives. You can read more about it, just search absurdity (read something my Albert Camus). Also Absurdity is not ridiculous in this case.

I find that thought extremely liberating. It gives me control over my own life and not forcing me to work towards a goal I do not want to.

Anywho, this relates to death in the sense that, death won't really matter in the sense that I won't live my life sad knowing that one day I will end. Because in the end the universe will continue to be a beautiful thing. I won't know I'm gone as my consciousness has simply ceased. If anything, it's just led me to think that my goal should be about trying to die a happy person. Knowing that I've accomplished something. With that comes the true freedom of the self imo.

So what are your thoughts? Do you think that there's an afterlife? If so, why do you look forward to it? Do you think you need one to make this life worthwhile? If not, does it depress you thinking that nothing comes afterwards?

Hopefully this thread isn't too depressing or anything.

Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: How do you view death? - April 8th 2012, 10:30 PM

When you started talking about absurdism, my first thought was The Stranger.

Anyways, my point of view is kind of similar to Mike's. As a Christian, I believe that there is an afterlife. I believe that I will be going to Heaven after I die and I look forward to that. There's a certain sense of peace about the idea of death. As Mike said, love and peace will rule. That's how I see it. No more suffering. No more intolerance. No more hatred. It's an awesome thing. I'm not sure our world will ever reach that, but I know I'll see it in Heaven.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: How do you view death? - April 8th 2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iris. ♥ View Post
When you started talking about absurdism, my first thought was The Stranger.

Anyways, my point of view is kind of similar to Mike's. As a Christian, I believe that there is an afterlife. I believe that I will be going to Heaven after I die and I look forward to that. There's a certain sense of peace about the idea of death. As Mike said, love and peace will rule. That's how I see it. No more suffering. No more intolerance. No more hatred. It's an awesome thing. I'm not sure our world will ever reach that, but I know I'll see it in Heaven.
Yea... Albert Camus wrote some good stuff. I really like the absurdism philosophy.

Do you think you'll be worshipping god for all eternity or just enjoying yourself?

Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Zen Ryochan Offline
Love and Tolerate
Average Joe

Name: Ryan

Re: How do you view death? - April 8th 2012, 11:12 PM

I view death as just another step in the natural order of the world. Nothing too special about it. We are born, we live, we die. Might as well make our life and the lives of others the best that we can.

"To suspect your own mortality is to know the beginning of terror; to learn irrefutably that you are mortal is to know the end of terror." -Frank Herbert

“To love our enemy is impossible. The moment we understand our enemy, we feel compassion towards him or her, and he or she is no longer our enemy.” ~Thich Nhat Hanh

(#5 (permalink)) Old
dani99 Offline
Ms.Average
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Danielle

Re: How do you view death? - April 9th 2012, 12:05 AM

I find it peaceful. As being Christian, I know that I'm going to be leaving this sinful earth and be united with my Lord Jesus Christ and all of my loved ones once more.

Just a girl with an angel above, just a girl with an angel to love. My angel grew wings and she did dare to fly. But I promise my angel, it's only good night but never good-bye. My angel, my angel in heaven above. My angel, my darling, you'll always have my love. Rest in peace, my sweet darling, it's only temporary that we part. My angel, my angel, how you still do steal my heart </3

(#6 (permalink)) Old
ShesNotThere Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lee

Re: How do you view death? - April 9th 2012, 12:08 AM

I'm sort of struggling with religion right now, so I'm not sure. Here's what I know for sure - I'm terrified of it. I don't know what happens to people when they die, because I don't know what to believe. Obviously there's no solid proof of anything, because all the dead people are dead.

I think that there's something after you stop living, I don't think it could all just stop. I hope it's nice, I'd like for it to be a peaceful place without pain or hate. I hope there's some sort of heaven. But the thought of dying young, or dying and the afterlife being something completely different- that scares me a lot.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: How do you view death? - April 9th 2012, 12:30 AM

So what are your thoughts? Do you think that there's an afterlife?

I don't believe that there is any sort of afterlife. My view of death is that it's simply the ceasing of biological processes in our body. Once those stop, everything that was "us" stops too and that's it. Nothing more.

Do you think you need one to make this life worthwhile? If not, does it depress you thinking that nothing comes afterwards?

I don't think that an afterlife is necessary for this life to have worth. I do my best to live my life in such a way that I can enjoy it and be happy with it, regardless of what happens to me after I die. If something does happen, then great, but I don't need that to look forward to to give this life meaning. I give my own life meaning.

And, honestly, it makes me feel so much better to believe nothing comes afterward. I'm not living my life to try to appease some deity and get into heaven or anything like that. I get one shot and I get to make the most of it. It just feels like there's a lot less pressure this way and I'm just a lot less scared of death.

~Cody

Normal User

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Lumos. Offline
Used to be Don'tForget
I can't get enough

Name: Dionna

Re: How do you view death? - April 9th 2012, 12:44 AM

I think death is just another part of stage of your life. Just like going to another grade in school. it may not be a good way to compare but i can't seem to think of another way to explain it.

I do not think there is an afterlife. Your life just stops, and thats it.Nothing happens after. Or you might be another animal, or person and have another life. I do believe in reincarnation.

Death doesn't frighten me, i'll be ready whenever it decides to come. I do somewhat think of it as relaxing, its final rest in your life. You have a hectic life then rest. I believe life is basically like a day. You are born(waking up), go to school(getting ready for the day), Do whatever you need to in the day(Getting married, going to college, having kids;basically the mid point in your life), Getting ready for bed(Getting older), Sleep(death). Those are my views.

From day one I talked about getting out
But not forgetting about
How all my worst fears are letting out
He said, "Why put a new address on the same old loneliness?"
When breathing just passes the time
Until we all just get old and die
  Send a message via Skype™ to Lumos. 
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: How do you view death? - April 9th 2012, 02:22 AM

I do not believe in an afterlife. I believe when you're dead, you're dead. You no longer have the pleasures of life, you no longer have the pain of life. And in theory (or how I want), you get to be decomposed back into the earth to help begin new life on Earth.

Do you think you need one to make this life worthwhile? If not, does it depress you thinking that nothing comes afterwards?
It does not depress me at all. Eternal life would scare the hell out of me. I like that there's only one life, we have to make the best of what we got. And with no believing in an afterlife, I don't get a second chance, I get no reward or punishment for being the person I am. I get to create the person and the morals I want, and live the way I want, as moral as I would like it, and enjoy every minute of it. I think believing that this universe became randomly in an event in the universe is more spiritual than religion.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: How do you view death? - April 9th 2012, 03:59 AM

I think that there is some sort of an afterlife, but I'm not sure what it is. I'm currently struggling between a person being reincarnated or that they go to somewhere like Heaven. As far as Hell goes, I think it's only for extreme wrongdoings, such as murder, and not some of the petty things. So maybe a part of a person goes to Heaven and a part gets reincarnated, if that makes sense. Don't ask me how it makes sense, because I don't really know, but it sort of just works for me.

It doesn't depress me thinking that nothing comes after. It's not like we really know what really happens when we die or we can do anything about it. But we do have to make the best out of life.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: How do you view death? - April 9th 2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenonsteroids View Post

Do you think you'll be worshipping god for all eternity or just enjoying yourself?
You mean in the afterlife? I think it's a little bit of both. It also completely depends on what you mean by enjoying yourself.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#12 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: How do you view death? - April 9th 2012, 08:09 PM

While I've talked to you on some level about death, I feel I'd offer my input on some of these questions.

Quote:
If so, why do you look forward to it? Do you think you need one to make this life worthwhile?
If there is an afterlife, it doesn't necessarily mean someone looks forward to it. Granted, if there are those who believe they are going to Heaven, then, I suppose it gives you reason to look forward to it. However, there are those within Christianity who fear they haven't been "saved." Thus, they fear death, they fear the afterlife, and don't look forward to it because they believe G-D WON'T save them. This is primarily those who adhere to Calvinistic or deterministic sovereignty theologies. It sparks from verses in Hebrews, etc. But mostly from philosophies of theologians that aren't always very biblical.

Not that the Bible is the sole rule on all matters, but generally within Christianity, it is. I hold a different view than most on the whole "Bible" issue. In that it is profitable for knowledge of G-D, and useful for every good work, but I do not believe it is infallible. There are blatant contradictions that many conservatives are simply unwilling to admit. I do not believe the Bible is a necessity for our rule of faith, as the Holy Spirit working in mankind is sufficient enough for salvation. This doesn't mean the Bible is worthless, it is profitable. It is just, like fish, you have to be careful when you eat it. You look for the meat, and get rid of the rest.

I do believe in matters of doctrine and theology the Bible is VERY useful. But, you read things like Judas fell off a cliff in Acts, and that he hung himself in a gospel, so you try to reconcile it like, "Well, he hung himself and then fell." It just gets a bit redundant and ridiculous. Christ, Himself, said that the Holy Spirit will come and teach us all things. If this is true, the Bible can't be that NECESSARY. Certainly helpful, but not a necessity.

But, when a philosophy so contrary to scripture pops up, you have to question it. Though, when it comes to Calvinistic debates, I try to stay away. I have an opinion, but I stay away from saying, "G-D is this," or "G-D is that." Because, what happens if you're wrong?

Quote:
If not, does it depress you thinking that nothing comes afterwards?
In some regards, as aforementioned, in can be more comforting to believe in nothing. If eternal conscious torment is real, to some degrees, I'd almost rather believe in nothing.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#13 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: How do you view death? - April 9th 2012, 08:34 PM

How do you view death?

"The next great adventure" probably sums it up best. (Yes, I just quoted Dumbledore. Deal with it - it's the only time it's happened since I joined. )

Anyway, to answer the other questions:

Do you think that there's an afterlife? Yes. I'm Catholic. Comes with the territory really.
If so, why do you look forward to it? I wouldn't say I look forward to it as such - I'm not actively racing to my death. I suppose I view this life as an adventure, learning about new things and making choices as I go along, and the afterlife as being like a homecoming. So I know it's going to happen sooner or later, but it isn't going to dominate my thoughts. It'll come in its own time.
Do you think you need one to make this life worthwhile? Not really. To my mind, my life isn't determined or given meaning by what comes next - it's what I do in my life that gives it meaning and determines whether I've lived a good life or not. That may well have ramifications of its own in the afterlife, depending on how good or how bad I've been on this mortal coil, but to say I'm living my life based on how I might be judged by God at the pearly gates is just, well, wrong really. I judge myself pretty harshly, simply because I hold myself to a fairly high standard, and that determines my conduct, not a fear of judgement. My view is I'll be judged according to what I deserve, and that is fair enough.

Hope that makes sense - I think I got into a bit of a ramble somewhere along the way...

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#14 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: How do you view death? - April 9th 2012, 08:38 PM

Oh, and in regards to making this life worthwhile, I don't really think there is anything in life that makes life worthwhile. Eternity, even, is redundant. I don't quite understand the point of it. I think of a movie. If a movie or T.V. series never ended, it would be pointless. You want an ending. But, even with an ending, was there ever a point? I don't really think so.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
Our life is what we make it
I've been here a while

Name: Nick (Or Nico)

Re: How do you view death? - April 11th 2012, 07:24 PM

I believe death is the great abstinence. While I do not know what lies after death, I don't think it will be like here on Earth, where we can live our lives how we wish and do what makes us happy.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

Re: How do you view death? - April 12th 2012, 03:33 AM

To me, death is just an extension of life, part of a cycle. I believe in reincarnation of some form (still figuring that part out), so death isn't something to be feared. And in any case, what's the point of being scared of the inevitable?

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
squirrel glider Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jono

Re: How do you view death? - April 12th 2012, 05:35 AM

Does the thought that an afterlife may not exist depress me?

I'm far too invested in present-life to let that sort of thing depress me. I try to enjoy every moment I can. Life is short but it's also fantastic. It's normal to think about the future, but it's just not something I'm concerned about. Whether an afterlife exists or not, I can't say. But that's just it: No one can say for sure.

If it's there, you bet I'll be throwing a party for all. But if it's not? Then it's not. I look at what's happening right this second rather than what might happen after I'm gone. No one can deny that life is an amazing thing, whether they believe something takes place after it or not. It's fun to think about sometimes, but it's never something I'd say worries me.

Closed Thread