TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: you can call Kaylie

uif you're agnostic do you plan to raise your child that way? - April 11th 2012, 01:05 AM

if*

Just wondering.Well my bd is a muslim and my mom's family was Lutheran? I think. My dad was atheist. Nothing makes sense I don't hate any religion. I could care less what my kid believes in it's not like anyone gets in trouble like hell or anything since I don't believe in it. I celebrate christmas and easter and I am not open with my family about the beliefs I have. That it's expected I raise any child I have in that faith or well Christian at least. Then again I hate my family really doesn't matter. It's apart of the American culture anyway. I don't see the problem with my child believing in Jesus as GOD. I mean it's all make believe so what does it matter. Also my bd is a Muslim. Same thing goes but I know nothing about the religion. Besides that, a lot of people hate them. I like Zack though so that's all I really care about religion has never gotten in the way of our friendship. We're like total opposites compliment each other. Religion doesn't really have to do with either of our lives so much it seems besides he doesn't eat pork or drink. We're still underage technically I'm not supposed to have ever either... But I have my ways. Well before I got pregnant that is. Which I guess I'm pretty open minded. I don't mind people who are religious or not. I don't hate any set of people with a certain faith. Religion isn't evil. It just may or may not be true. As an agnostic I don't hate religion just don't care or know if it's true. I wouldn't teach any religion to my future kids. If friends or family want to say what they think politely. I wouldn't care. But I don't think religion is a bad thing if you want to be uptight and have so many rules on what you want to do. We set those rules when we allow religion in our lives. I chose not to. Well anyway what about you do plan to to raise kids like if your agnostic? I plan to let them decide whatever when they're old enough....

Last edited by cuteprickleypink1; April 11th 2012 at 04:17 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: uif you're agnostic do you plan to raise your child that way? - April 11th 2012, 01:37 AM

I'll probably let my children decide what they want to be raised as. I mean, I have my own little form of religion that I personally believe in, they can have the same. If my future spouse wants to educate my children in their religion they can, but in the end I'm not going to force my children to believe anything.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: uif you're agnostic do you plan to raise your child that way? - April 11th 2012, 01:48 AM

I don't care what my children pick for their religion I just want them to come to that decision completely on their own. My dad is a Christian and my mom is Agnostic but I didn't even know that until I was 15 and had already formed my own opinion. My parents never talked religion to me at all. I didn't even know what religion was until we started learning about it in school when I was 10. That's the same way I plan on raising my kids.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: you can call Kaylie

Re: uif you're agnostic do you plan to raise your child that way? - April 11th 2012, 02:16 AM

what did you think christmas was?

I knew christmas was a christian holiday at 3 or 4. So I was a christian but didn't really get it really until I was 9. Last year I decided really I didn't believe in Jesus.

There are so many possibilities with kids I don't think it's fair to decide for them...

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Henry Tyrell Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: uif you're agnostic do you plan to raise your child that way? - April 11th 2012, 03:37 AM

I'll probably teach my child about Christianity the same way I'll teach s/he about the Greek Pantheon. A religion with myths, legends, texts, and some historical basis that people used to or still do believe.

But no, I won't purposely raise my child to be agnostic. I'll present s/he with the evidence for religion, and agnosticism will surely follow xD

(#6 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: uif you're agnostic do you plan to raise your child that way? - April 11th 2012, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteprickleypink1 View Post
what did you think christmas was?
Santa and Christmas trees and presents. Just like Easter was about the Easter bunny and dying eggs and hunting for eggs. We celebrate the commercial holidays, and I like it better that way.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Henry Tyrell Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: uif you're agnostic do you plan to raise your child that way? - April 11th 2012, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
Santa and Christmas trees and presents. Just like Easter was about the Easter bunny and dying eggs and hunting for eggs. We celebrate the commercial holidays, and I like it better that way.
My mother taught me at a young age (five or so) about Santa and the Easter Bunny and how some kids were told by their parents to believe those stories, even if they were just that, not to mention the messy history of Christianity stealing both Christmas and Easter from the so called Pagans. I was kind of an odd child... but a well educated one!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
JustACityBoy Offline
Telemachus
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Carl

Re: uif you're agnostic do you plan to raise your child that way? - April 11th 2012, 06:52 AM

I am agnostic atheist.
Honestly, I wont tell my child my religion.
I will make God references though and Jesus references, positive quotes cause they have so much.
I was born and raised in a Buddhist society, yet I turned Atheist/agnostic.
I'll say and enforce that Santa is real and other common myths.

I'd like my own child to discover religion him/herself, travel the wonders of Wikipedia just as I have, and follow what seems to be most just and fit. School in my neighborhood (or Urban Queens for that matter) is quite supportive of evolution, and of course we learn that and sex.. perhaps that piqued my quest of religion.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Manasvi
Location: A hidden, faaaaar-off world where people love each other and everything is just perfect. :)

Re: uif you're agnostic do you plan to raise your child that way? - April 11th 2012, 11:40 AM

I'll let the child/children decide.

All we can do is Keep Breathing...!

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: uif you're agnostic do you plan to raise your child that way? - April 11th 2012, 06:52 PM

My mom was raised Catholic and my dad went to a Catholic school now my mom is agnostic and has serious issues with the church, I don't know what my dad believes. They had me baptized Catholic and then raised me with morals and ethics sans religion. I've put together a hodge podge of concepts from various religions that I live by and believe. I will probably end up raising my children the way my parents raised me. I'll tell them my beliefs if/when they ask, but they're open to believe whatever they choose.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
Our life is what we make it
I've been here a while

Name: Nick (Or Nico)

Re: uif you're agnostic do you plan to raise your child that way? - April 11th 2012, 07:26 PM

I'll let my child decide whatever religion they want to follow.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!

(#12 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: uif you're agnostic do you plan to raise your child that way? - April 13th 2012, 08:16 PM

I'll probably raise my children without a religion but give them books and such about different religions so they can learn about, and choose one, if they want to. It'll be completely up to them.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Terry Offline
Canadian Bacon
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Terry

Re: uif you're agnostic do you plan to raise your child that way? - April 18th 2012, 04:33 PM

I wouldn't really bring it up at all, if they have questions, I'll answer them unbiasedly. But I won't pound a religion into their head at a young age like a lot people do, or bash religions in front of them. The one thing I won't tolerate is if they start using religion to discriminate the LGBT community, threaten people with eternal damnation, or stuff like that, since that's just not acceptable.

Self pity will not rescue you.
Sometimes we have to save our own lives,
not because no one else cares, but because no one else can.

Life for you has been less than kind
So take a number, stand in line
We've all been sorry, we've all been hurt
But how we survive is what makes us who we are.

Dreamed up the maps, give me the charcoal and the paper
We invent paths they cannot see, and they're too scared to walk

Only after disaster can we be resurrected. It's only after you've lost everything that you are free to do anything.

Closed Thread