TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Pantheism - April 20th 2012, 07:47 PM

Okay, so I've been looking into different religions, movements etc. for a long time now trying to find one that suits me which is hard since I don't really believe in any sort of literal deity so that limits me.

BUT, not so long ago I stumbled upon Pantheism and then Naturalistic Pantheism. I've ordered a book to read more about it since information on the internet seems minimal. Basically though from what I've read so far Pantheism is similar to Paganism without the deities. Pantheists believe that nature is 'God' (in a metaphorical sense) and should be revered and respected and worshiped in a way just like a deity.

I was wondering though if anyone else on TH is a pantheist? I also wanted to throw this 'religion' out there for any atheists who might be like me and do want something to fit into their lives spiritually since Pantheism and Atheism do fit together

This is the only detailed website I've found on the topic so far : http://pantheism.net/

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Acheron Offline
El Tigre
I can't get enough

Re: Pantheism - April 20th 2012, 08:05 PM

Quick question. Why do you need a religion at all? If you don't believe in a god, what's the benefit of worshiping something?

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Pantheism - April 20th 2012, 08:16 PM

It's just something I feel like I want in my life. I can't really explain it but I've always liked the spiritualist side of Paganism but lacked the ability to believe in deities.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Henry Tyrell Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Pantheism - April 20th 2012, 09:26 PM

I was more or less a Pantheist for awhile. But I wouldn't say that it coexists with Atheism at all. Pantheist still base their religion is something unproven in anything more than a "feeling".

It's good if you want to be spiritual I guess.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Pantheism - April 20th 2012, 11:07 PM

How are they basing it on something unproven? Nature is all around us to see and from what I read it's basically saying to revere in nature.

Also, atheism is the lack of belief in a deity essentially and pantheism doesn't believe in a deity so why is it that they can't coexist?

From Wikipedia : Since there is no deity of a personal nature in naturalistic pantheism, some argue that it is in essence atheistic. Differences from atheism mainly come from the emotional and esthetic responses to nature and the universe, rather than differences in the beliefs themselves.[6] Naturalistic pantheism is defined to be consistent with modern science, although science is purely a base and provides no moral interpretation.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Henry Tyrell Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Pantheism - April 20th 2012, 11:30 PM

Wikipedia also says that Pantheists think Nature and God are one and the same- they are spirtual. The spiritual realm has not been proven by science (ghosts, *energy*, auras, or the "Power of Nature) as far as I know, therefore I think that the atheist (myself included) could not be a Pantheist at the same time.

I mean, Pan=all, theist=God. An= anti/against. Pantheists have many gods/all gods, Atheists have none.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Pantheism - April 21st 2012, 12:02 AM

I know they think the universe and God are identical buuuut I took it to mean that they use the term God in a metaphoric way rather than literal and the few other pantheists I've read have all said they generally take it metaphorically and most tend to stay away from the word due the the connotations.

I'm not saying all atheists are pantheist just that the two can intermingle if the word god is used in a metaphoric sense.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Name: Cheye

Re: Pantheism - April 22nd 2012, 05:54 AM

I identify with Pantheism in the same way. I do not really believe in a God, I believe in evolution and all of that science stuff, but I do agree that miracles and the such happen, just not at the hands of any deity of any sort.

Resident old person, back from much needed, multiple year hiatus.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  Send a message via MSN to Tigerlily. Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerlily. Send a message via Skype™ to Tigerlily. 
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Pantheism - April 22nd 2012, 11:17 AM

When I stopped being religious I thought of myself as a pantheist because I love the universe. But then realised its all a bit unnecessary. It really is just hippy atheism lol

There's no worshipping gods. It's not religious in any sense. Basically you love the cosmos and you feel part of it (which you are because you're made up of stardust) and you feel some sort of connection to it. Which I'm sure many people do already (especially astrophysicists)

Really I think that what pantheism does for a lot of people is it helps people naturalise death. It's no longer a scary thought of not existing but you're merely being recycled into nature. Like a second hand reincarnation if you will.

Pantheism is nice, but I don't feel the need to call the universe god because it implies a theistic god which is not what it is. Seriously try explsining to your friends what pantheism is without them getting confused.

Study astrophysics if you enjoy the universe. It's awesome (too bad I suck at physics)

Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Offline
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: Pantheism - April 23rd 2012, 12:51 AM

Atheist= absent of God, without God

Pantheism = the doctrine that all is God

They don't really match up together.

So, there is no way to claim you are a pantheistic atheist. You either believe in a higher power, or you don't. That includes the universe.

If you can make it work for you, great. But so far I don't really see how you can.

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
In the hazy milk of twilight
No one had to know
The moon asked the crow...
  Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen  
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Pantheism - April 23rd 2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
Atheist= absent of God, without God

Pantheism = the doctrine that all is God

They don't really match up together.

So, there is no way to claim you are a pantheistic atheist. You either believe in a higher power, or you don't. That includes the universe.

If you can make it work for you, great. But so far I don't really see how you can.
I disagree.

The god they're referencing to is just nature. Not a theistic god or a deity that's apathetic to it's creation.

The god really has little effect on their lives. It's just a connection to the universe. In a sense, a lot of people do feel like that but just don't bother calling it god. the word god carries to much rubbish I.e theism.

Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Pantheism - April 23rd 2012, 02:41 PM

Okay well my book on pantheism arrived and on the very first page it saaaays

"Pan = all and theos = God. Thus pantheism means All is God. In essence, pantheism holds that the universe and nature as a whole is worthy of the deepest reverence. The statement "nature is my god" is perhaps the simplest way of summarising the core pantheist belief, with the word god here meaning not some supernatural being but the object of deepest personal reverence"

So if I'm going by this book then the word god is just used as a metaphor. Therefore, you could still be an atheist and follow pantheism.

Also, Jordan it doesn't claim that the universe is a higher power. Just that it, and everything in it, is worthy of reverence like someone would revere a God.

But anyway, I didn't actually post this to debate whether atheists could be pantheists or not. I just wanted to see if there were any other pantheists here

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Name: Cheye

Re: Pantheism - April 25th 2012, 11:08 PM

Haha well I agree with you Cara, beliefs wise anyway and I identify as pantheist so to answer your actual question, I am too haha.

Resident old person, back from much needed, multiple year hiatus.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  Send a message via MSN to Tigerlily. Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerlily. Send a message via Skype™ to Tigerlily. 
Closed Thread