TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Expression Poems, stories, artwork and similar creations are great ways to let out your thoughts or feelings. Please share your work with us here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
HealingAngel Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Angie (or Ang)

Points: 13,297, Level: 16 Points: 13,297, Level: 16 Points: 13,297, Level: 16

Black. --- "Spoken Word" Poem --- meant to be read aloud. - February 7th 2013, 09:08 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

--- Appropriate Labels: Triggering (Suicide), Triggering (SH), Non-PG13 (Strong Language) ---

Background on the Poem:

This poem is from a long time ago (about a year maybe) when I was in a really dark, awful place... A couple of weeks I returned to this place and it brought back the vague memory of this poem. It hurts to reread but I kind of wanted comments on it from people. I might edit this post later or re-post in a couple of weeks asking for constructive criticism, but for now I just welcome comments.

How the Poem is Meant to be Read:

If you've ever heard of "Spoken Word" or "Brace New Voices" you'll be able to read this better. It's meant to be read aloud with emotion and I'm not sure how it will come across simply written. But the first time I tried to re-read it aloud and started choking back tears because I didn't realize how... how dark of a place I had been in before. Anyway, It's called "Black." .

Black.

I've a been burned, scarred. Cut so deep blood seeps down my arm. Circling my palm. Calm. Rushing over me now so fast that Pow!

Black. Dark. Concrete walls, dreary drawls of sound. I’m sucked in, melted. Pelted with stones and hate. Fate..? Supposedly innate yet I sit here and I wait for something remarkable to make life worth this pain. Rain pours down the window. A moan... yet I'm alone, and I’m wanting to postpone life. Better yet, end this strife between god and I, because lord knows that I try to live by his rules but now all I want to do is just fly. But instead this ground sucks me in up to my chin and gravity holds me to where I can no longer bear the weight of these people who pretend like they fucking care.

Black. Smack. Time to wake up and truck through the mud. Pulling my feet out of this muck. Fuck this. My heart’s cracking in two and I want to die because of you, making me feel love and laughing from above while I go through these games of yours. I jumped through god damn hoops to get the caress of your voice! Rejoice before you drop me making another choice. Choosing she. I want to fucking yell, scream and shout. But instead I beam a little smile planning a different route. I’m breaking. Hands shaking, heart racing..Pacing. I hate this place.

Black. Silence. I’m shedding new tears now thinking of these next years, of never finding love and all of my fears start to appear and nothing's clear until I see it. ... An escape. And suddenly I realize this is my fate, and maybe all along those people were right and it is innate. But I’m done with this fight. This day was long and everything feels so wrong. I don’t belong. And I know when I pop that shell that all is well now. Blood pooling, as my life starts to drain and I fade away from this hell. Blood cooling, Ring the bell..? Fuck that. Enough. Life’s too rough and I’m escaping this cell. Now… pow…

Black.

When You're At The End Of Your Rope...
Tie A Knot... and Hold On... <3
- . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . -
I think I kinda, sorta, maybe... mighttt just love him after all...
- . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . -
Settle precious, I know what you're going through,
Minutes before you got here, I was going to jump too...
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59

Re: Black. --- "Spoken Word" Poem --- meant to be read aloud. - February 7th 2013, 10:16 PM

This is so amazing and I enjoyed reading it aloud as well. There were so many emotions and descriptions in this and I understand it well. Wonderful job! I do hope you are in a better place now.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Storyteller. Offline
Spite and coffee.

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Charlie
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 106,677, Level: 46 Points: 106,677, Level: 46 Points: 106,677, Level: 46

Re: Black. --- "Spoken Word" Poem --- meant to be read aloud. - February 8th 2013, 01:05 AM

Words cannot describe how amazing I think this is. I got tingles reading it (and yes, I read it aloud). It's so powerful, so emotional, such pain turned to such amazing creativity. I loved it.

"Love means never having to say
you're a werewolf."
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
EmisaurusRex Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Em

Points: 31,401, Level: 25 Points: 31,401, Level: 25 Points: 31,401, Level: 25

Re: Black. --- "Spoken Word" Poem --- meant to be read aloud. - February 8th 2013, 02:25 PM

Okay, so...I have a slight obsession with spoken word. I think it is beautiful and magical and powerful and sometimes I will just go watch video after video on youtube of spoken word being performed. I love it. So. I was pretty excited when I saw this title.
And, although I haven't been able to read it aloud just yet, I read it in my head how I would have out loud and...wow. I just. I really like this. I've tried my hand at writing spoken word before and it didn't pan out so well. Serious kudos for pouring your emotions into this piece so well. If you have more stuff, I'd love to read it!

Great works are performed not by strength, but by perseverance.
PM me anytime <3
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
oldaccount Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 28,123, Level: 24 Points: 28,123, Level: 24 Points: 28,123, Level: 24

Re: Black. --- "Spoken Word" Poem --- meant to be read aloud. - February 8th 2013, 03:25 PM

I'm like Emily, I love spoken word. I can't read it aloud right now, but I can definitely feel all the emotion in it. I love this. <3
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Reign. Offline
Just Hold On We're Going Home~
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kay

Points: 12,229, Level: 16 Points: 12,229, Level: 16 Points: 12,229, Level: 16

Re: Black. --- "Spoken Word" Poem --- meant to be read aloud. - February 8th 2013, 06:15 PM

Wow.. This was just. Wow.

So dance if it moves you,
and jump in the fire, if it burns you.
I'll throw my arms around you darlin',
and we'll turn to ashes.

Kinda like the way you tell me,
"Baby, please come home. I need you here right now.
I'm crying underwater so you don't hear the sound."

What if I can't forget you?
I'll burn your name into my throat.
I'll be the fire that'll catch you.
What's so good about picking up the pieces?
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachell

Points: 25,799, Level: 23 Points: 25,799, Level: 23 Points: 25,799, Level: 23

Re: Black. --- "Spoken Word" Poem --- meant to be read aloud. - February 9th 2013, 03:04 PM

Reading this out loud made it come into moving pictures. Like it's happening to me in real life. I was able to understand it more. But not just what you meant of the poem, of what it's actually like to feel pain. To view how dark a life could be. I believe this poem should be read to high schools and such so teens can understand what people go through, adults too. So they can switch their ways of behavior and treat people right. Many lives could be saved if all those people knew what was wrong and stopped the problems from growing. That said, this is an amazing piece. You have done such great work. I really love this piece!

~I was always scared of everything, even the carousel.~

~Don't worry about me. I'm sort of feeling fine, but by tomorrow, I'll be back on my feet again.~

-Goodnight Tonight
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Spirit. Offline
Run free
I've been here a while

Name: Kaveri

Points: 21,912, Level: 21 Points: 21,912, Level: 21 Points: 21,912, Level: 21

Re: Black. --- "Spoken Word" Poem --- meant to be read aloud. - February 9th 2013, 03:16 PM

I really like spoken word, and i really felt the emotion behind this poem. It's so well executed, woven so well. It's dark, and it hurts, and yet, it's so gorgeous, the way it flows. You've done a good job on this one! <3

~Through the wind and the rain she stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above.
But her dreams give her wings and she flies to a place where she's loved.

Concrete Angel

"And so I grew from colt to stallion
As wild and as reckless as thunder over the land.
Racing with the eagle, soaring with the wind.
Flying? There were times I believed I could."

HelpLINK Mentor - 2.4.2011
LiveHelp Operator - 18.6.2011

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Evanescent Offline
Love Is The Movement
I've been here a while

Name: Nicole (Nikki)

Points: 17,077, Level: 19 Points: 17,077, Level: 19 Points: 17,077, Level: 19

Re: Black. --- "Spoken Word" Poem --- meant to be read aloud. - February 11th 2013, 01:37 AM

This is AMAZING. So emotional, powerful, and descriptive. Poems have a way of explaining the deep, dark, emotions that you can't voice yourself. This is a winner. I hope you feel better, as I know the feeling of the deep, dark hole.

"Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars."

"For those who don't care, for those who can't see, never give up, always thrive to be free."

Smile, you are beautiful www.operationbeautiful.com

Blessed Be!
Nicole AKA Nikki
Artist, Poet, and Future Social Worker
Closed Thread