TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Guest Advice Box For unregistered guests to ask all their questions and gain support.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Unregistered

Edit avatar

Question Daydreaming - March 19th 2018, 09:28 AM

[FONT=""][COLOR=""][SIZE=""]I've got this weird problem that when I watch a new(and good) movie or show i can't stop thinking about it and waste hours daydreaming(like im a character in it).
Is there a way to stop this?[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Daydreaming - March 19th 2018, 07:45 PM

Hey,

I used to struggle with this when I was younger. I would watch something or read something and love it so much and I would want to be a character. I think my thoughts/daydreaming did get a bit obsessive and one of the only things that helped was writing out the stories I made up in my head. I started writing them out one day when I was 17 and I posted them on a fanfiction site. The writing helped me get to a place where I wasn't daydreaming as much because I was expressing the story. It might help if you tried the same thing even if you don't share it with people. We do have a self expression forum that you could look into if you'd like to express the stories here.

I think something you should consider is the reasoning behind why you are doing this. Looking back I did it a lot because I could give characters in my head tragic stories but they could end up with a happy ending. However, in my own life I couldn't control what happened so writing the characters with similar or worse past who ended up being happy in the end helped me cope with my own unhappiness and fear of the unknown. Knowing my reasoning helped because now that I am not struggling as much I don't do it as often but in the past I would find someone to talk to about my stories or write them down and it helped with the daydreaming and knowing that what my triggers were led to me being able to find ways to distract myself from doing it if an event came up that would lead to the daydreaming.

So, for you, it might help if you figure out if this is a form of coping and if it is it might help to find other ways of coping which can take time to do. Our site has this: http://www.teenhelp.org/alternatives/ which is an extensive list of alternatives and coping. If you are daydreaming as a way to cope with life and you feel it is getting in the way of your daily activities it might help to find a new form of coping. This list could help but it might take a while for you to find one that works as well as the daydreaming...if you are utilizing it as a coping method.

If you are not utilizing it for coping than it might just be that you have an overactive imagination and if that is the case it might help to find creative ways to express that imagination. For example, you could write down the daydreams but if writing is not your thing maybe you can express the daydreams through art or other crafting things. Maybe turn your daydreams into a comic etc. I have an over active imagination and I was using that as coping so it became obsessive and for me expressing my imagination both when I was daydreaming too much and just when my imagination ran wild actually helped a ton.

Best regards.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Svisttt Offline
Art Dork~
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Re: Daydreaming - March 19th 2018, 07:55 PM

Hey there!

Daydreaming can be fun, as long as it isn't interfering with your day-to-day life, which from what you've described, it is. Something you can try is whenever you recognize/realize that you are daydreaming, you write down everything that happened. For instance, if you're daydreaming about being a certain character, you could write about what you did as that character, It can be a good way to get it out of your system and onto paper.

Grounding techniques and other distractions can also help! I'm not sure what would work best for you, and you know yourself best, so I'm going to leave a nice list of alternatives we have on the site. I'd really recommend checking a few of them out and seeing what would help you out the best.

http://www.teenhelp.org/alternatives/

Daydreaming isn't inherently bad, and I think it's a good way to exercise your creativity, so long as you're also focusing on what's actually going on in your life. If you need any more help, you're always welcome to come back here!

(ahh woops, didn't realize Abibliophobe posted right before me, sorry! <3 She gave extremely good advice, though!)

"hold me
whatever lies beyond this morning
is a little later on."

Closed Thread