Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Guest Advice Box For unregistered guests to ask all their questions and gain support.

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Unregistered's Avatar
Edit avatar

Posts: n/a

Help please. - July 15th 2018, 10:11 PM

[FONT=""][COLOR=""][SIZE=""]A friend of mine she and her siblings have been living with her grandparents because the parents just dropped them off at the grandparents house five years ago and left. My friend and her siblings love her grandparents so much and they take really good care of them. I have been over and they're nice, well the parents just came back and said I want my kids back. The grandparents said no we have been taking care of them for five years. Does my friend have to go back with her parents? Or do you think they can stay with the grandparents? If you could please help me out. Thank you.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran
.:Bibliophile:.'s Avatar
Gender: Just me

Posts: 16,769
Blog Entries: 1770
Join Date: January 18th 2009

Re: Help please. - July 16th 2018, 01:05 PM

Hey there,

I don't think anyone on this site can give you a definitive answer. I think that this question is probably best to consult a lawyer about. I think that if the grandparents can prove that the parents abandoned them for five years then it's possible that they won't have to go back. However, since none of us are legal professionals I would hate to say that they definitely wouldn't have to go back and be wrong. Do you know if your friend's grandparents will be able to consult a lawyer or something like that? At the end of the day that truly is their best option.

Best regards.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount29's Avatar
Edit avatar

Posts: n/a

Re: Help please. - July 17th 2018, 07:12 PM

[FONT="Times New Roman"][COLOR="Green"][SIZE="3"]The best thing to do is to have your friend's grandmother consult a lawyer. If she builds a strong enough case, then I don't see why your friend has to go back with her parents.

Best of luck to your friend and her siblings.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Latte Offline
Junior TeenHelper
Latte's Avatar
Age: 26

Posts: 259
Join Date: June 27th 2018

Re: Help please. - July 17th 2018, 11:33 PM

I agree with everyone else so far; as much as it sucks, because lawyers will be expensive, they need to be involved usually in situations like this. It's not something that a child usually gets to pick on their own cause it's such a complicated situation.

Let's say she goes back with her parents cause, you know, she's probably been dreaming of them coming back ever since they dumped her. Well, what kind of shitty parents just drop their kids for years on end? I'll just go out on a limb and assume that the parents weren't exactly forwarding any sort of financial support to the grandparents for the children's upkeep. Why should the grandparents want the kids to go back to that sort of a family where the parents clearly don't care enough to take their responsibility seriously?

Now let's say that your friend chooses to stay with the grandparents because that's who have been her parents and they provide stability and proper care and she loves them etc. Was custody ever formally transferred to the grandparents? Maybe, but lets say not. The parents can then go to a lawyer and basically say "these are my kids, hand them over!"

The grandparents/kids will need a lawyer because they can likely get formal custody because of the whole actual abandonment thing. The lawyer can help navigate that. They can also get child protective services involved if your friend goes back to her parents to make sure they're actually being taken care of etc. etc.

Basically, it's a really complicated situation that isn't at all like a regular situation, so many legalities might come up depending where she chooses to go.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
smithc Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!
smithc's Avatar
Age: 34

Posts: 11
Join Date: August 2nd 2018

Re: Help please. - August 2nd 2018, 09:55 AM

Also agree with them
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is Off
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All material copyright 1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.