TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Guest Advice Box For unregistered guests to ask all their questions and gain support.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Unregistered

Edit avatar

OCD help - September 30th 2018, 08:51 PM

Hi, I’m a veteran ocd sufferer if you like, had therapy group/on my own before (group worked great!). I’m currently waiting for more therapy after years of being pretty steady, what tips do people have for coping whilst I wait for the therapy (long 3-6 months wait).

David.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: OCD help - October 3rd 2018, 01:51 PM

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"][COLOR="DimGray"][SIZE="3"]Hi David,

It's great to hear that group therapy worked well for you and that you were steady for a while. It's also good that you are going back to therapy too, though I understand it can be difficult trying to cope while you are waiting.

I don't have OCD but have traits of it when I get stressed. For me, it has helped to know when things are starting to get out of hand and try to challenge my thoughts and behaviours. For example, if I start checking something a lot and worrying about it, I try to lower the amount of times I check and challenge or distract myself from the thoughts. It's hard, but when you realise that nothing bad is going to happen, it does get easier to deal with.

Be patient and gentle with yourself and if it helps, talk to others who understand what you are going through. Remember, each day you get through is a day closer to therapy! [/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: OCD help - October 6th 2018, 02:22 PM

Hey there,

I think that therapy is the number one way to try and cope with OCD. I am in the process of trying to figure out if I have OCD. I have a lot of obsessive thoughts which turn into worry and then I get anxiety unless I do things like check to make sure the anxious thoughts aren't right. For example, if I feel like I forgot to lock my car, I have to double and triple check that I locked it.

I haven't found a lot of things that work for myself, currently. I have found that reminding myself that the thoughts I am having are not real does seem to help. I still will check more times then not but if I am in a situation where I cannot I will try and sit with the feelings and remind myself that it will be okay.

It might help to try googling some coping skills for your OCD. I am sure there are techniques out there that you could try.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread