TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Guest Advice Box For unregistered guests to ask all their questions and gain support.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Unregistered

Edit avatar

Help please. - January 31st 2020, 02:57 AM

[FONT=""][COLOR=""][SIZE=""]My older sister is dating a guy my parents don't like. He's into drugs and all she says is I'm over 18 now can't tell me what to do. I'm scared she is going to do them. I ask her why is she dating him, she says shes in love. Sorry not sure what I'm asking for.[/size][/color][/font]

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Amaranthus Offline
Articles Writer
Average Joe

Name: Kylie

Re: Help please. - February 8th 2020, 08:33 PM

Hi there,

I apologize for the delay in receiving a response! I'm so sorry to hear about what you're going through with your sister. It's completely understandable that you would be concerned for her. It's always scary when a loved one ventures down an uncertain path.

It sounds like your sister might be trying to establish her independence. At 18, she is finally a legal adult and seems to be trying to assert herself as one by going against your parents' wishes. She could be doing this consciously, in that she may be dating him just to rebel and get a rise out of them, or subconsciously, in that she genuinely believes she has feelings for this guy.

Did you notice any tension between your sister and your parents before she began dating this guy? Did they ever try to prevent her from doing things or dating people? If your parents were particularly strict, this could be one possible explanation for her extreme behavior. Even if you parents weren't strict, she might have simply fallen into the wrong crowd and now desperately wants to fit in.

I would be open with your parents about their concerns, which I'm sure they share as well. I know that there might not be a lot that they can do at this point, but they might be able to at least offer some support. I might also try talking to your sister about your concerns. Try to approach the subject gently so as not to provoke her: "Hey, I know that your boyfriend does drugs and I'm really scared that you'll try them as well. I don't want you to do that because I love you and want you to be safe." Try to explain your specific worries to her and let her know how this is affecting you. She may or may not be receptive to it, but it would at least give her some food for thought.

Again, I'm so sorry that you're going through this! Please let us know how we can best support you.

All the best,
Kylie