TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Loneliness (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f540-loneliness/)
-   -   Kinda lonely? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f540-loneliness/t119827-kinda-lonely/)

SouthernBelle. May 28th 2013 04:11 AM

Kinda lonely?

Hey, guys!

I've been single for a little over a year now. I'm pretty happy as a single person (I'm a bit of a solitary person by nature), and I'm confident with just being myself. Recently I've been really longing for the closeness of a relationship, though. There's a guy or two that I like, but as I'm home-schooled and I only see them on rare occasions, that avenue is closed. Due to financial and educational reasons, I've been forced to put off going to college for another year. This means no dating in college (like I was hoping I'd be able to do), so even that's a no-go.

I guess the point of this post is simply to ask: What's a single girl with no opportunities for a boyfriend to do? How could I make these little bouts of lonely feelings a bit less frequent? Any ideas? I'm at a loss, lol.

Thanks in advance, everyone. :D

Eternal May 28th 2013 02:09 PM

Re: Kinda lonely?

Loneliness is caused when we feel a lack of attention from others. So this means that being in a relationship isn't the only way to fix it, which is a good thing!
Do you have any friends you could spend some extra time with? Even if they aren't that close, this is a good opportunity to get to know any acquaintance you have. Are you able to contact the guys you like and just hang out sometime? You don't necessarily have to attend the same school as someone to be ale to see them
Another option is to spend some more time with your family. Even if you think you don't like them that much, you might have fun just watching a movie or going out to dinner together.
One last option I can think of is to join a club or a sport so that you can meet new people and have fun while you socialize. There are usually art classes or cooking classes offered in lots of places, so you could start there. :)

Brandon May 29th 2013 03:46 AM

I know a woman who I've known since high school who is like that; she's either got a really secret love-life or she's just not interested in that stuff right now. You remind me a lot about her. I don't even know her that much, but I'm sure she's had natural desires for mating and all that stuff, but she spends a lot of time with her friends. I think that you just need more interaction with people since you're home-schooled. Part of growing up is gaining social skills, and school kind of helps with that; if you don't have enough interaction with people, then you're probably gonna feel that loneliness. If you spend a lot of times with your friends but you still feel lonely, then what's wrong with pursuing people? Marriage is different than dating; it's not like you need a certain qualification in order to date people because dating is just the initial step. If they don't like the fact that you're home-schooled down the road or something along those lines, you break up. There's no contract in relationships. In my experience, pursuing people helped deal with my loneliness because at least I was trying to do something about it. Just do something.

AmazonQueen May 29th 2013 03:54 AM

Keeping busy helped me. Working, school, walks, stalking birds with a camera, walking my dog more often. My dog is my bestie

Just Breathe June 6th 2013 02:15 PM

Hey Anna

I'm home schooled as well
And I really like this guy that I see once a week..
So i know what u mean
Anyways.

If you really like him then ask him if he wants to hang out at the mall or something.
If not then go to the park
Go to the mall (u can always meet people there)
I love going on adventures lol
Even if its just getting lost in the store
Any friends to hang out with?
If so then hang out with them.
I don't have many friends so I'm not sure how it all works lol

Hope I helped!