TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Loneliness If you're feeling lonely, isolated or down and need support and encouragement, this is a forum for you.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Rika Offline
Chat Buddy

Junior TeenHelper

Pronouns: she/they

Points: 13,432, Level: 16 Points: 13,432, Level: 16 Points: 13,432, Level: 16

Fearing being alone due to aging parents - November 3rd 2023, 10:12 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Is it normal to feel like this? I honestly think it is a worry as parents are aging. They're in ok health, so think I have a bit with them still. I totally like my parents despite various fights and arguments throughout the years.

I just think it'll be lonely without them when they do pass. I marked this as triggering just in case.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,646, Level: 59 Points: 172,646, Level: 59 Points: 172,646, Level: 59

Re: Fearing being alone due to aging parents - November 3rd 2023, 11:27 PM

My parents are 71 and 73 right now and I feel this so hard. I’m 27 and they had me when they were older. I worry more about them dying every day, especially since they’ve had health problems in the last few years. I rely on them heavily and don’t know how I’d cope without them.

I don’t have specific advice on how to combat it because I honestly have nightmares about it but I wanted to say you’re not alone!

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34

Re: Fearing being alone due to aging parents - November 4th 2023, 03:41 PM

The last few years I have felt this, but it has eased a little. I'm already down to one parent (my mum), and I don't have any grandparents and am not in touch much with aunties and uncles (who are all aging and some are not in good health). So I do worry about what life will be like without my mum and relatives that I am close to.

I think it's fairly normal, particularly if you are still living with parents or rely on your parents a lot (I know I do). A few years ago, I would get really anxious about my mum dying. I just became really obsessed with her health for some reason. I don't get so anxious these days as I've tried to keep myself busy and focus on my own life and what I can do to be more independent or think about the types of friendships I want to build (which, without realising, might also help me when the time does come).

I don't know if any of this was helpful but you are not alone in this at all <3

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Butterscotch. Offline
rising like a skyscraper 💜
Junior TeenHelper

Pronouns: she/her, they/them

Points: 1,821, Level: 6 Points: 1,821, Level: 6 Points: 1,821, Level: 6

Re: Fearing being alone due to aging parents - November 4th 2023, 05:03 PM

You are most certainly not alone! I was about the same age as you, 31/32, when it hit me that my parents are getting old. They'll both be turning 70 next year. While they're still relatively healthy,, I know illness and death can come on pretty quickly. Now I'm 38 and am trying to take better care of myself, and mentally prepare for that awful moment when they're not there to answer my texts if I need them. I think the best way to do that is surround yourself with trustworthy people and a lifestyle that will sustain your well-being for after your parents pass away.

For me, I know I need to start saving money even though I don't have a paying job. I know I need to work on my interpersonal skills so I can have and maintain friendships. I know I need to focus on my physical fitness, make better dietary choices, and abstain from alcohol permanently.

It's not easy, so definitely find a support group that is outside of your family.