TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Adulting (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f542-adulting/)
-   -   What are your favourite house plants? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f542-adulting/t161835-what-your-favourite-house-plants/)

Rob July 4th 2021 03:54 PM

What are your favourite house plants?

We have all spent a lot more time at home this past year and so our home and our gardens have become really important. One thing I have realise d over the past year is how I can make my home much more pleasant to live in, such as filling every room and my garden with plants. I don't have a lot of extra space so I've stuck to potted plants, but I've chosen some nice ones that compliment each room based on temperature/light.

I really like Japanese gardens, so I've started going for a bit of a theme, currently I have a cherry blossom, two acers, three bamboo plants and some azalea. My latest addition are several fatsia plants which have fantastic star shaped leaves. I tried to grow hakone (Japanese grass) but it hasn't grown properly yet.

So far my favourites are the acer which has deep red leaves and the bamboo which looks awesome against a white wall at the bottom of my garden.

I'd love to hear about what plants everyone is growing and how I can make my home even nicer.

Everglow. July 4th 2021 09:20 PM

Re: What are your favourite house plants?

I don't know anything about plants so I can't name what my family have :nosweat: All I know is I have no luck with plants! I tried keeping an aloe vera plant over lockdown. I even named it Vera Lynn. The plant died within weeks. D:

I'm looking forward to reading some more successful plant keeping stories. :nosweat:

Ennui. July 4th 2021 11:11 PM

I like cacti, but as I told you yesterday... I killed it
My mom had success with a spider plant until she went to the hospital and my dad and I forgot to water it :bleh:

Silvan July 5th 2021 01:34 PM

I like fern, they're pretty and have air-cleansing properties. I even have fern leaves as a part of my tattoo :)

DeletedAccount71 July 5th 2021 10:18 PM

I had a succulent for about three years, named Horace (yes I named my plant). I took good care of him and he survived two moves, but when I got to my current home a year ago I accidentally overwatered him and that was it. RIP Horace. I want to get a new one. I don't have much of a green thumb, and can't really do involved gardening in my current residence anyway, but I'd like to have another succulent in the window. Horace grew a lot when I had him; I actually had to repot him at one point. I am hoping I can have as much success with Horace the II if I get another one!

Ennui. July 5th 2021 10:44 PM

Quote:

named Horace (yes I named my plant)
The cactus my niece killed was named Patrick, after Patrick Star.

Stacey July 5th 2021 11:20 PM

My house is ill-equipped for plants, so I typically bring them to my office as it has diffuse, natural light that plants love. I've received a few as gifts in the last year, a peperomia and 2 small succulents. The two succulents are in small "Halloween" planters with tiny vampire and skeleton faces (they're really cute, I swear) and my peperomia is in a larger pot with a cute winky face. I love all three but my biggest accomplishment is keeping my peperomia alive so that may have to be my favourite.

They all have names, too, which all the clients I see at the clinic love, lol.
The succulent in the black vampire planter is Wednesday
The succulent in the white skeleton face planter is Pugsley
My peperomia is named Lady Prudence (voted on by clients).

DeletedAccount71 July 6th 2021 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheek! (Post 1368670)

The cactus my niece killed was named Patrick, after Patrick Star.

Aw, that's cute! I really like it when plants have names. I don't know why but it makes me happy.

Halcyon July 6th 2021 08:05 PM

I tend to go for air purifying plants. Snake plants and peace lilies are very easy to look after. I don't have a garden right now so have bought more house plants during lockdown, which has helped to brighten up the place. I love plants with variegated leaves and I think plants cascading off bookshelves are really pretty. I also love orchids. I'd love to have a living wall with lots of different plants but think it might be too difficult for me to look after.

Celyn July 7th 2021 05:46 PM

The artificial kind :p

Allyson Wood August 5th 2021 03:24 AM

There's no place to put in my plants so imma try getting a hanging plants

DeletedAccount81 August 5th 2021 07:02 PM

Those ones in little clay pots that look like a wee little desert landscape. They're the easiest to maintain! :)

Ennui. August 6th 2021 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celyn (Post 1368734)

I'd forget to dust my fake plants and then grow the dust instead...

.Brittany. August 6th 2021 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celyn (Post 1368734)

I'm pretty sure I'd still manage to kill an artificial plant! I am THE WORST with plants

Dawn. August 8th 2021 05:16 AM

I actually don't have one but I do love both real and artificial ones. :bleh: