TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Work, Studying and Learning (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f544-work-studying-learning/)
-   -   Learning languages (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f544-work-studying-learning/t162684-learning-languages/)

Silvan March 3rd 2022 05:43 AM

Learning languages

A language we speak allows us to communicate, convey thoughts and feelings, tell stories, ask questions, give orders, express needs... and so much more. Every language you learn is a door to a whole new world of possibilities.

Do you enjoy learning languages? Which ones can you speak?

I speak English and Polish. I used to study German and Spanish. I'd like to continue Spanish one day, because I loved it as a language.

MsNobleEleanor March 6th 2022 04:23 PM

Re: Learning languages

I this it's very important to be able to express ourselves through language or different forms of it.

I speak, write and read English only. At some point I'll probably will learn French as I live in a bilingual city and could open more job opportunities for me.

DeletedAccount81 March 6th 2022 07:57 PM

Language is not only spoken; it can be conveyed in signed or wriiten communication methods.

I know American Sign Language and the alphabet of British Sign Language.

I know minimal written Spanish and Norwegian Bokmål.

Rivière March 7th 2022 11:53 AM

Fluently I speak English.

I speak some Welsh, a little French, and bits of other languages. I learnt Russian as a hobby when I was 13 but much of it now has gone to waste.

Stacey March 13th 2022 11:10 PM

I speak and write English. I can understand some French, as I'm Canadian and we learned it in school from grade 3 - 10. I'd like to go back and refresh on French at some point, but as of right now I've been practicing Japanese on Duolingo for almost a year straight. I've been able to gain a basic understanding through Duolingo but by no means can I speak or fully understand it. I mostly learned out of an interest in the language and consuming Japanese media, but I also wanted a basic understanding so I can visit in the future and be able to navigate/order food/ etc a bit easier.

Celyn March 14th 2022 11:52 AM

I speak only English. I learnt some Welsh and French in school, and some Dutch when I was younger just for the fun of it, but I've forgotten a lot. I think it would be useful to get back into learning languages. I just never know how to go about learning it.

Thinking March 16th 2022 05:17 PM

Native/Fluent: English, Chinese, Malay

Learning/Not as fluent: Japanese, Korean, German, Polish

Silvan March 16th 2022 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinking (Post 1377214)
Native/Fluent: English, Chinese, Malay
Learning/Not as fluent: Japanese, Korean, German, Polish

May I ask why you decided to study Polish? :) It's not a very common choice ;)

The method of learning a language that I have found the most effective so far is the most conventional one - attending a course. Preferably offline, as it is easier to motivate myself rather than online while sitting at home.

Turbo Rocket April 12th 2022 04:50 PM

I learn some Spanish and I like it.
Hope to travel to Spain this summer.

Astro04 April 14th 2022 12:01 PM

I spoke Italian, but I'm also good at english. I spoke a little of French.

In fact, I won't learn other languages, but I want to learn the "dialect" of my zone.
Hmm, don't know, but ever fascinating me

lonely16 May 11th 2022 11:19 PM

I speak English and Ivrit (which we learn in school). I understand and read Ivrit better than I speak which I think is pretty common. I would love to learn more languages, I am always impressed with people from countries where they easily speak at least 3 languages. I once looked into learning braille (not sure if it counts as a language or more of another medium to read/write) over the summer but I saw that its hard for seeing people to learn it so...