TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, and similar topics, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Cullen Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Unhappy Mirena IUD. - April 24th 2012, 11:40 AM

Hellooo...

I just had the mirena coil fitted about 2 and a half hours ago, and I thought I would share the experience with you all. So here goes...
About a month ago, after doing a lot of research on all kinds of contraception, I went to my gp and asked to get an IUD fitted. I have been on the microgynon pill for 2 years, which was pretty good for me, but I was really rubbish at remembering to take it. Reading up on the IUD, it sounded perfect for me. I can keep it on for 5 years without having to go back and forth to the doctor every few months for a new prescription, which I hated doing, I don't have to remembr to take it every day like with the pill, and in a lot of women, the IUD helps reduce heavy periods which I sometimes suffer from. So it sounded very good to me
So I went to the docs about a month ago, they discussed it with me and gave me some information on it, and I made an appointment for today to get it fitted.
When I got to the doctors surgery, I was taken to the nurses room, as a doctor and a nurse both had to be present to fit it. They asked me to take off my pants and trousers and get up onto the bed. That was a bit uncomfortable for me, cuz I've never had to visit the gp for anyhing "down there" before lol... But I got on the bed, and the nurse, who was absolutely wonderful and lovely, gave me some paper to cover my lap with. The doctor asked me to spread my knees, and told me she was going to insert the speculum. This was a little painful, but I thought if that's he most it hurts, I'll breeze through! Oh how wrong I was... The doctor kept telling me everything that she was doing, and the nurse was by the side of me holding my hand and she kept asking if i was okay. Next I think they used a swab to 'clean up' a bit. This was more uncomfortable than painful, because the swab was kind of pushing on my cervix. I don't know if any of you have done his, but its like when you push a tampon in slightly too far, and you get his kind of pressure feeling just inside the small of your back... Unpleasant, but didn't hurt. Now, I don't remember which part came next, but i tell you, it was the most painful thing I have ever felt. It was like the doctor had stuck tweezers up there and was pinching and pulling on the cervix and poking right up into my womb, it was horrific. This was when I started getting cramps like really bad period pains in my back, stomach and thighs. Before I started taking the pill I got awful cramps, like ones that make it impossible to get out of bed, and even made me physically sick sometimes. These pains were like 10x worse, it was awful. And add the cramps to all the tugging and pinching going on inside. Just to put the amount of pain into a bit of perspective, I have multipe tattoos and piercings, some in very painful places, but they were a walk in the park compared to this. I even started crying because it hurt so bad . After about 10 minutes of being up on the table, they were finished. The amazing nurse was holding my hand and trying to soothe me all the.way through. She gave me a pad as there's quite a lot of spotting after the procedure. She let me have a few moments to pull myself together and get my clothes back on. She then offered me a glass of water and let me sit for a while incase I got dizzy or faint, as some women apparently do. The nurse went off to make an appointment six.weeks from now for me to go back so she can check its still in place. Once she made the appointment I came out and drove home rather quickly, as I was still so uncomfortable and in so much pain. I began feeling very sick half way home. Luckily I only live a 5 minute drive from the gp surgery though. As soon as I got home I took paracetamol and got into bed, where I still am lol. I can still feel the cramps, but they have dulled to a bearable level now. I'm still feeling a bit sick, but I can cope with that.
So that's my experience so far... It really was AWFUL. I've read a few reviews online where some women say they had his pain for days, even weeks after! I hope mine go a lot quicker lol. I'll keep you all up to date with how it goes...

The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows...
Keep The Blood In Your Head, And Keep Your Feet On The Ground.

Nov 29th 2010 <3

Do I Divide And Fall Apart?
My Bright's Too Slight To Hold Back All My Dark.
  Send a message via MSN to Cullen  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Jas Offline
aka Xamed
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Mirena IUD. - April 24th 2012, 12:09 PM

Please do keep us up to date - I've been seriously considering an IUD lately so I'm curious in a personal way.

Besides that, I'm really sorry you had to drive yourself home. And I hope you feel better soon.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Cullen Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Mirena IUD. - April 24th 2012, 12:28 PM

Thanks Jas - was awkward driving home cuz I was almost sitting sideways on the seat, trying to make myself comfortable!

Will deff keep updating.

Nov 29th 2010 <3

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: Mirena IUD. - April 24th 2012, 12:34 PM

I can imagine how incredibly awkward it was for you to go to your GP for a procedure like this. But, I think all the pain you endured will be worth it in the end. Keep us updated!

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Cullen Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Mirena IUD. - April 24th 2012, 11:23 PM

...and its still quite crampy and ouchy... Still bleeding a bit too... Anyone know if this is normal???

Nov 29th 2010 <3

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Jas Offline
aka Xamed
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Mirena IUD. - April 24th 2012, 11:33 PM

From my research, it's pretty normal but if you're very concerned of course give your doctor a call.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Jocelyn. Offline
Now fight.
I've been here a while

Name: Joce

Re: Mirena IUD. - April 25th 2012, 03:31 AM

I'm sorry your experience wasn't the greatest In the US a pelvic exam is typically required before getting any form of birth control, so I'd had many before (not to mention having a kid ) the insertion of my IUD.

I think it really just does depend on the person. I had Paragard inserted about 9 months ago with very little pain and discomfort. I took a tylenol before going and to me it basically felt slightly more uncomfortable than a normal pap test. I did experience pain and cramping for a while afterwards, which is completely normal. It was almost as though I could feel it in there lol, but with time you will get used to the thought of having your IUD.

I can say I love my IUD and I wouldn't go back to the pill/shot/patch/what have you for anything. I hope you grow happy with your decision!

When reality is a prison, your mind can set you free.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Cullen Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Mirena IUD. - April 25th 2012, 12:49 PM

Taa guys : )
Still cramping a bit today, and bleeding a tiny bit. I'm keeping myself dosed up well on paracetamol and ibuprofen!! And plenty of chocolate, of course : P
I think in the long term all this pain will be worth it, though.

Nov 29th 2010 <3

Closed Thread