TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Sex and Puberty (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f6-sex-puberty/)
-   -   Female Advice Preferred: I hate my period. (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f6-sex-puberty/t100476-i-hate-my-period/)

allow_me April 27th 2012 04:39 AM

I hate my period.

Doesn't everyone?

I get my period about once every three or four months (which is too often in my opinion but SO much better than every month). They're not particularly bad or heavy. I don't get cramps like mad or anything I just really hate it.

Every time I get it I end up on the internet searching for ways to get rid of it because I get pissed off. I want to tear the organs from my body (but obviously I cannot and will not). I would LOVE to have them removed but apparently that is only for physical problems which I don't believe I have.

I actually looked up ways to destroy my uterus because I hate the fucking thing so much. I wish it would shrivel up and disappear. I don't want to 'get over it' or 'get used to it' just because 'it's natural and supposed to be there'. It makes me want to die or go into a week long coma.

Does anyone else feel like they'd rather be dead than have a period? Or know any ways to stop feeling that way? (If anyone knows of a magical way to get rid of periods that'd be brilliant as well.)

SM13 April 27th 2012 04:48 AM

Re: I hate my period.

Pregnancy gets rid of it for 12 months but that isn't a recommended form of getting rid of periods. You could try to put a heating pad on the cramps and drink hot tea and take aleve or advil or mitol. That's what I always do. Im on birth control because my periods were so bad that I'd pass out from the pain and loss of blood. If you are really adamant about getting rid of it you could talk to your doctor about possibly trying birth control or hormone treatments. Other than that I'm not sure what else there is to do. Surprisingly a little running or jogging can help period pains because it releases endorphins. Also I enjoy taking a hot bubble bath on my period because the hot water relaxes the cramping muscles. I hope this helps some and I'm sorry that you are having such a bad time on your period. For me birth control has made my period go from 8 days to 4 days and I no longer bleed thru the largest tampons in 2 hours so it's deffinately and improvement and could be worth looking into. I hope that you feel better soon.

Best Wishes
~SM~

Harmony♥ April 27th 2012 05:04 AM

Pregnancy actually only gets rid of your period for a minimum of 9 months, max 10. Not 12. I've never heard of anyone being pregnant for an entire year. That would be one BIG baby.

Anyway, I think we all react to our periods in different ways, but the way you're reacting is a little over the top. Not that you shouldn't feel that way, but it's a bit extreme. Obviously, we're meant to have periods, to have a uterus. It's because our bodies were created to bear children. That's what a uterus is for, that's what a period is for. There are certain types of birth control out there that could control your period more, or even stop it completely but nothing is guaranteed. I know of one type of birth control that gives you a minimum of 3 periods a year. It would still be what you're experiencing now, but more controlled. However, the chances of spotting in between is much higher. I'd talk to a doctor about this. About going on birth control if that might be the case you're interested in or seeing if there is a type of birth control that can stop your periods completely.

I'd recommend talking to a doctor about removing the uterus completely, which is called a hysterectomy. But, many surgeons wouldn't perform the procedure unless you already had one child. I wouldn't recommend doing this, but there is always a possibility you could find a doctor that could perform the procedure without having children before hand.

There are plenty of ways of controlling your period, and the emotions you feel during it. Wanting to die because of your period I'd say is a bad way to feel, and you should speak with someone about this. There could be some underlying issue causing you to feel this way that doesn't just begin with your period.

Best of luck. :)

i_like_black April 27th 2012 05:26 AM

I hate periods too. Mind you, I get mine every month. I usually have severe cramping and pain for the first few days, and in the 3 - 5 days leading up to it I get epically depressed and crave chocolate like nobody's business.

I got told that in order to have a hysterectomy I'd either have to wait until I was in my thirties or have had a child. It's likely that I have something physically wrong - endometriosis runs in the family and my mother had a massive fybroid (tennis-ball sized), but they did an ultrasound and couldn't find anything wrong. I'll be going back to my Dr. soon because the symptoms I have are somewhat similar to PCOS.

But I just wanted to say, I feel pretty much the same way, and I feel like a hysterectomy would make my life just that much easier, so you're not alone on that count. At least you only get your period a couple of times a year :P

Coffee. April 27th 2012 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allow_me (Post 863345)
Does anyone else feel like they'd rather be dead than have a period? Or know any ways to stop feeling that way? (If anyone knows of a magical way to get rid of periods that'd be brilliant as well.)

Yes. Yes I do. :nosweat:

I've always had pretty awful periods in many aspects. I've always wanted to make it go away, I feel it's so unnecessary, and that modern science should have a way to get rid of them by now. Unlike Shannon, I wouldn't recommend talking to a doctor about a hysterectomy because...well...they'll say no. There's no way they'd perform it on you at your age, health, and fertility. :nosweat: Plus they cost a lot of money. Trust me. I've looked into it. :bleh:

However, you said you get them every 3-4 months, are you on a birth control that does that? I would recommend talking to your doctor and keeping yourself updated on revisions to this. Your "periods" while on these type of birth controls, or any birth controls for that matter, are not really periods, and they're absolutely unnecessary, but only there to make women feel like they are on a natural cycle. In a few years, I would not be surprised if they have it where you take the pill continuously and do not have these broken up the way they are.

If you are only having your period 3-4 months naturally, at 18, you may want to talk to your doctor, since this is quite unnatural. :nosweat:

DeletedAccount71 April 27th 2012 06:00 AM

Well, you're kind of shit out of luck on this one.

We're built to have a uterus for a reason. Periods are basically what tells us we are of childbearing age, fertile, and not pregnant (or pregnant) each month. There isn't a way to change that fact. You can't just "stop" having periods without being pregnant, without reproductive organs or going through some serious health problems.

The closest you could get to not having a period is to put yourself on Depo Provera, which is the birth control shot. However, the shot can have unpleasant side effects, isn't compatible with everyone's medical history; you should definitely consult with a doctor about whether it's right for you. Not to mention, it's expensive, and it doesn't ban periods forever; eventually, you will have to have one.

You could broach a doctor on the subject of having a hysterectomy, but I almost guarantee you you will not find a medical professional to perform there surgery. There is a law against performing a hysterectomy unless you have had at least one child, and definitely not at your age without you having some serious problem, like uterine cancer. Plus, even if for some reason you did have a hysterectomy, it's not over and done with. Your uterus is connected to important glands in the brain, meaning you now get to take a ton of hormone pills at very specific times a day. It's like birth control, but ten times more annoying and as expensive.

In addition, any tampering with your body system as it is has a good chance of changing your periods, which could actually backfire so they happen more frequently and more often.

I understand the feeling of hating your period. You have the right to be upset. But it isn't as bad as it could be. Most women have a period once a month, some even more frequently, and many of them are accompanied by heavy cramping and other bad side effects, such as severe emotional instability (I don't mean PMS; I mean it makes them contemplate suicide).

What I recommend, honestly, is talking to a therapist. You aren't the only one who experiences these feelings. Before taking any PHYSICAL action, I would contact a psychological professional, not because you are crazy, but because it's something really worth talking to a therapist about.

ChelleBelle97 April 27th 2012 06:16 AM

I don't feel the same way about dying. But, I have mine every month. They're pretty heavy and my mom won't put me on birth control for it because she thinks it'll make me have sex. lol But, I feel the same about everything else. I hate my period. I've asked my mom if they (doctors) could remove my sex organs.. she even said they wouldn't do it. I swear.. my period makes me so pissed too. Lol you're not alone, trust me.

SM13 April 27th 2012 10:07 AM

Oh ya I meant 9 months. Hahaha it was really late when typed that :). Sorry for the confusion.

allow_me April 27th 2012 05:35 PM

Thanks everyone for the answers.

I'm not on birth control or any pills (I rarely take any medication at all actually) to control my period it just naturally comes every few months. My mom said hers was like that and a few of my aunt's were spread out as well when they were younger but eventually they became more regular (which sounds terrible. x.x)

I thought getting a hysterectomy sounded really brilliant at first but there are obviously downsides to that as well (including the bit about having to have a kid/be a certain age). I don't plan on having kids ever and I always thought if I did end up changing my mind why make one when I can adopt one and give it a better life.

It is really nice to hear that I'm not alone with the terrible feelings (although I'm sorry for those of you who feel like rubbish along with me during it because it's terrible.)

I guess I should set up an appointment with my doctor then and decide how to proceed from there. Thanks again. (:

DeletedAccount20 April 27th 2012 06:10 PM

There is one way to stop mensturating pernamently. It's hysterectomy, but you've already researched that. :)

I'd gladly take your uterus and remove mine, and replace it with yours. I'd fucking kill for my period. :/

allow_me April 27th 2012 09:58 PM

Well that's a bit backwards. How perfect. Sounds like a plan to me. P: haha.

Disneygirl94 April 27th 2012 10:03 PM

Yes! mine has been sooo painful for the past months...we've put me on special meds but it still does NOTHING....god, half the time i have to stay home from school and like drug myself with pain killers that don't even work haha

allow_me April 27th 2012 10:22 PM

Oh wow that sounds terrible. I'm sorry. Ironically after stating I hardly use medications at all I ended up taking some today for mine. >> So that was really brilliant. Hopefully in the future yours will settle down and stop trying to tortue you. Dx

dani99 April 27th 2012 10:49 PM

I don't like my periods, and I get them every month with the irritability and cramps. But I wouldn't want to die. And there is no stopping periods, really, unless---

- You get pregnant
- Hit menopause (which happens around your 50s-60s in most women)
- Or, if you become a body builder or take extra testosterone, that can also make you not have them or will cut down on them A LOT.

But, like you said before, it's normal. It sucks, but almost every women will go through periods. Why do you hate it, exactly? Is it because it makes you feel nasty?

Anyways, there really isn't any stopping a period unless you do one of the above - which the only "easy" way out for a while is through pregnancy, but even then right after you get like a 6 week long period.

But, no, don't go and damage your reproductive organs. You are not a professional and anything you may try, no matter what others say on the internet, can really hurt you because in all honesty, you wouldn't know what you're doing.

I know periods suck, and I hate mine probably more than anything. I'm a complete whiny, complaining, moody, in pain, bloated jerk around that time and it's on time every month. People can't stand to be around me, and I often make people really mad from my irritation and my snappiness. I'm quite jealous of you for not getting many symptoms or getting it every month. You don't really realize how lucky you are! But, they do suck. They are nasty. It's just something you have to live with. Most other girls have to, anyways, and you have it so much easier than a lot of girls.

I would offer some advice, but you seem to really hate it for no reason, really. If there is no pain, no irritation, and it's not heavy and you don't get it every month - I don't see what there is to hate and I can't offer any advice.

I know some birth controls can make it to where you can get one or two in a whole year. Trust me, I'd kill for that.

Coffee. April 27th 2012 11:36 PM

I'm glad you feel better to know that you're not alone. And I'm being completely honest when I saw I think in a few years, birth controls like seasonique will start having them once a year or less. On birth control, break through bleeding is not necessary, and I think it'll be something a thing in the past in the future.

...Hopefully. :nosweat:

lauri April 27th 2012 11:38 PM

Im fine with my periods I dont really get cramps like none at all sometimes I get cramps but barley.

allow_me April 28th 2012 12:05 AM

You're right I am really lucky compared to some girls and I do realise that but it doesn't make me hate it any less. I'm not going to damage my reproductive organs (though I really would like to make them stop working. x.x) because I don't want to screw anything up and end up with some weird disease or something.

I guess the biggest thing is I hate the feeling of wearing a pad. It feels like a diaper to me and I'm convinced everyone can tell. I get (more) snippy and lethargic while I'm on it as well. I would use tampons but I've ended up having panic attacks both times I tried now so it looks like I'll be stick to pads a while longer.

The birth control both of you mentioned sounds *really* lovely. It would be really nice to have only one a year. I don't know if I'd be able to take it or not though because I really despise pills. >>

dani99 April 28th 2012 12:36 AM

Ick. I can't stand pads. They are so uncomfortable! I wear tampons. I have been since I was 13. -pat pat- I'm sorry, sweetie.

I'm not much of a pill taker myself. But I do take birth control because before it, I was having one every other month and when I would have one, it would last like 2 weeks and real heavy and the cramps were bad (still are). But yeah, one of my friends only gets like 2 a year and she is so happy about it.

Oh, I know how that lethargic feeling is. I feel like I can sleep all day and do nothing else during that time. Periods are evil. I'm convinced that satan had a part in making the human body and he created just that little part. I know how bad it is, trust me. Normally I just sleep all day (after school) if I'm lucky and ignore people because if I don't, all hell will break lose. I know I'm due for mine in a week so right now I'm having pre menstral symptoms on top of Kidney infection/UTI. I haven't left my room almost all day, lol.

allow_me April 28th 2012 12:50 AM

Agh. That sounds like rubbish. :c Get better (and feel better) soon.

I think I'll try them again eventually I just don't want to too shortly after and have another attack. I do hope I can use them eventually because they sound much more convenient.

And yes, that's exactly it. I wish I could just sleep all day or loaf around but my mom always bothers me when I do and acts worried that I'm being 'antisocial and depressed'. x.x

dani99 April 28th 2012 01:01 AM

Have you told her that your period just makes you feel tired and you just want to nap?

i_like_black April 28th 2012 03:55 AM

Ah . . . tampons >.>
I don't know what brands of pads you have in your country, but here we have Libra Invisibles - they're very thin, like 3mm or something like that, so you barely know they're there, meaning you feel much less like people can tell and so forth. I didn't really feel comfortable with pads until I found those. And I still only wear tampons if it's the only option - for example, if I'm swimming, or going for a bike ride, where pads are impractical.

La la laaa. See if you can find any pads that are designed to be really thin, but still comfortably and abosorbent. :)

2dreamland April 28th 2012 01:47 PM

I get mine every month with cramps that make me sick to my stomach, literally. I actually vomited once from them being so bad. I actually love my actual period, but not the cramps too much. Haha. You need to relax.