TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, and similar topics, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Is it ok to use pessaries if you're not 100% you have a yeast infection?? - May 5th 2012, 08:01 PM

I was diagnosed with thrush (yeast infection) about three months ago, which surprised me because I hadn't had any symptoms, apart from painful sex (which might be for different reasons.) I took a course of pessaries, but I'm not sure if I put all of them in far enough. And because I had barely any symptoms in the first place, I don't know if it actually went away.

Now I have a feeling I have it again/still have it. But I'm not 100% sure.... I occasionally itch very slightly, but it's not the insane kind of itching that I've heard thrush usually involves. And it feels a little uncomfortable, but I'm not sure if that's just my imagination because I think I have it...you know??

I bought a pack of 3 pessaries today, but is it safe to use them if I'm not fully sure I definitely have thrush?? I know I should have asked the pharmacist but I lost my nerve....and I can't afford a doctor's appointment right now unless it's pretty much a life-and-death situation (otherwise I would have gone, and not posted this thread!!) But they won't do me any harm will they?? Any advice??

Sorry it's a bit long!! ^^

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Garyl Offline
What's next, little man?

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Eli

Re: Is it ok to use pessaries if you're not 100% you have a yeast infection?? - May 8th 2012, 06:07 AM

It is not advisable to use a medication if your condition isn't confirmed by a physician OR you don't necessarily have the familiar symptoms of a yeast infection.

If you completed your course of suppositories (I am guess that's the same thing as pessaries) without having sex, using tampons or other insertables your yeast infection should have been cleared after a week (three suppositories still require a week without any kind of penetration of the vagina).

Because you aren't positive yet that your symptoms are those of a yeast infection, I would wait a couple of days to see if they worsen. If you have had a yeast infection before, you will definitely know if you have one again. But worrying over the itching may be causing more itching.

If you experience further itching, burning, irritation, white discharge or peculiar odor, I recommend taking the three-day course of suppositories. Otherwise hold off.

Let's eat some spectral oats!
  Send a message via Yahoo to Garyl  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Is it ok to use pessaries if you're not 100% you have a yeast infection?? - May 8th 2012, 06:13 AM

Thanks. The thing is ~ people always say you know when you have a yeast infection, but I didn't last time, so that'll make it hard to know when it's back. I'm not sure if I took the medication properly last time, and also used it during my period which I since read can make it less effective. I have a strong feeling that I still have it though so I might just go for it. Thanks for the reply.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Garyl Offline
What's next, little man?

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Eli

Re: Is it ok to use pessaries if you're not 100% you have a yeast infection?? - May 8th 2012, 06:28 AM

You're welcome. Also, yeast infections are actually very common during periods. A high percentage of them occur at that time, just because of a change in body pH.

Let's eat some spectral oats!
  Send a message via Yahoo to Garyl  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Is it ok to use pessaries if you're not 100% you have a yeast infection?? - May 10th 2012, 01:28 AM

I've just realised that this should be in General Health...not sex and puberty!! Oops..

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Is it ok to use pessaries if you're not 100% you have a yeast infection?? - May 10th 2012, 02:06 AM

Well, fact of the matter is a lot of girls get lots of yeast infections. Just go to a walk in clinic if your uncertain

(#7 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Is it ok to use pessaries if you're not 100% you have a yeast infection?? - May 10th 2012, 04:07 PM

I don't think there's any around here.....I'm already getting my gynaecologist appointments through the Health System and the waiting lists are weeks long..

(#8 (permalink)) Old
niente_ Offline
Ex band geek, but still proud.
I've been here a while

Name: Niente

Re: Is it ok to use pessaries if you're not 100% you have a yeast infection?? - May 12th 2012, 11:10 AM

I went to the docs cos I was having funny discharge and apparently that was thrush, I'd never had it before either. I didn't have the itchy symptoms or anything. I was given a pessary thing and used it, and then about 3 days later wasn't sure if everything was cleared up, so I just bought another one over the counter and used that. Everything went fine, all symptoms went away, and I was ok. So I'd probably just take one more to make sure it's completely gone. I don't see the harm in that.

Sometimes it's better to forget how you feel
and remember what you deserve

S. M ... still in my heart, forever

(#9 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Is it ok to use pessaries if you're not 100% you have a yeast infection?? - May 13th 2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niente_ View Post
I went to the docs cos I was having funny discharge and apparently that was thrush, I'd never had it before either. I didn't have the itchy symptoms or anything. I was given a pessary thing and used it, and then about 3 days later wasn't sure if everything was cleared up, so I just bought another one over the counter and used that. Everything went fine, all symptoms went away, and I was ok. So I'd probably just take one more to make sure it's completely gone. I don't see the harm in that.
Thanks, that sounds like my situation, so I think I might do that!!

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Is it ok to use pessaries if you're not 100% you have a yeast infection?? - May 14th 2012, 12:16 PM

I'm going to leave this in Sex and Puberty. If a mod disagrees, that's fine, you're free to move it. But I honestly think because it's a genital health issue, as menstrual issues, or STI issues, it belongs here more than in General Health.

Is there a doctor you can call for free, for just asking a quick question? Or a cheaper clinic you could go to? I would really not do anything without a diagnosis. Although this medication I doubt is harmful, it'd be a waste, and may lower the helpfulness in the future. Overall, I would do what Jordan said and wait a few more days, and call a doctor until then.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Cutie7519 Offline
Love & Death
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kate
Location: In my happy place, where happiness lives forever more.

Re: Is it ok to use pessaries if you're not 100% you have a yeast infection?? - May 14th 2012, 10:52 PM

They have store bought yeast infection test they show on TV... It will show if you have a yeast infection or not... It's a suggestion if no one has suggested it to you.

"It's easier to run, replacing this pain with something numb, it's so much easier to go, than face all this pain here all alone."- Linkin Park, Easier to run

"When the nightmares take me, I will scream with the howling wind." Owl City, Lonely Lullaby

Closed Thread