TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, and similar topics, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Blazer Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Mike

How old until STD's aren't as common. - May 6th 2012, 07:40 PM

(Wow I have not been here in awhile)

Does anyone have any idea as to how long it is until STD's in teenagers aren't as common when they have sex? I remember asking a teacher in high school a long time ago and her response was, "Just wait until you get married." Wow, thanks for the help. Anyway, I want a number as to when it isn't as common to get an STD.

And if anyone if this helps. I'm 18 and she is 15. We are 2 years and 4 months apart.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: How old until STD's aren't as common. - May 6th 2012, 07:47 PM

Your age has nothing to do with getting or not getting an STD. If you're having sex with someone you're not positive is clean then there is always a chance.
If anything statistics might show as people get older it happens in less of the population but that would be due to more people sticking with one partner for a longer period of time and not age.

Also I thought I would add even though you didn't say anything about it. I would look up what the laws are where you live, here if you're 18 its illegal to have sex with anyone more than 2 years younger than you. Just a heads up, nobody likes being charged with statutory rape (which it is even if she consented).

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Blazer Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Mike

Re: How old until STD's aren't as common. - May 6th 2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeapOfFayth View Post
Your age has nothing to do with getting or not getting an STD. If you're having sex with someone you're not positive is clean then there is always a chance.
If anything statistics might show as people get older it happens in less of the population but that would be due to more people sticking with one partner for a longer period of time and not age.

Also I thought I would add even though you didn't say anything about it. I would look up what the laws are where you live, here if you're 18 its illegal to have sex with anyone more than 2 years younger than you. Just a heads up, nobody likes being charged with statutory rape (which it is even if she consented).
Thanks, I didn't know age wasn't apart of it. That's what they told us in school. Just another scare tactic I guess.

And yes, my state is the same. You can only be 24 months apart (even if you are below 18). I wasn't planning on doing anything, but stuff happens and it's good to be safe when it does.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Grey Wind Offline
Average Joe

Re: How old until STD's aren't as common. - May 6th 2012, 08:04 PM

STD's spike in the early-mid 20s then start declining, but it's always an issue. I saw an ad for safe sex specifically targeted towards senior citizens. Supposedly STD's are prevalent among old people because a lot of them consider safe sex to be only for teens.

*shudders*

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: How old until STD's aren't as common. - May 6th 2012, 09:40 PM

Age has nothing to do with it, it's your sexual lifestyle. They're often jsut most prevalent in younger people because that's before msot of them have married and settled into monogamous relationships. Sometimes I really wonder about the sex education in some places :/ Either way it's best for both of you to get checked out just to be on the safe side, and always use a condom, obvs.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: How old until STD's aren't as common. - May 6th 2012, 10:00 PM

I agree that age has nothing to do with it, it's more about your sexual activity. If you sleep with someone that isn't a long time partner, regardless of your age, you can't guarantee that they are clean. I'm sure even people in their 40/50s+ still get STIs.

So, it's always best to be safe and wear a condom.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Garyl Offline
What's next, little man?

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Eli

Re: How old until STD's aren't as common. - May 8th 2012, 06:35 AM

Age does not determine whether or not one gets STDs. People still contract STDs when they are fifty. It's based on your sexual exposure to people who already have STDs at the time you sleep with them.

There is no 100% way to be safe from STDs; it's part of the risks of having sex. However, the only effective way to help prevent against STDs is by using condoms regularly and correctly.

Let's eat some spectral oats!
  Send a message via Yahoo to Garyl  
Closed Thread