TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, birth control and sexual health, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

No period? - May 15th 2012, 06:29 PM

So, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this topic, but I don't know where else to put it.

I'm on birth control (the pill) and I switched to a new kind I think in January or February, which has actually been fine because it is pretty much exactly the same as the one I was on before that. Only this last week I was supposed to have my period. It basically lasted a few hours. I kid you not, like I went to the bathroom, nothing, few hours later, a teensy bit of blood, and then NOTHING after that the rest of this week, and I am a bit concerned because I usually have a period that lasts 3-4 days, I have NEVER only seen a tiny bit of blood (to the point where I basically never had my period)

I am pretty much 100% positive I can't be pregnant cause the last time I had sex was in like September which would make me 8 months or so along by now and I'd be showing.... But in any case, is this normal? Like has anyone else had experiences similar and/or can maybe suggest what is causing that? Also, no, I am not under any unusual amount of stress nor have I made any large dietary changes. The only thing I have done not usual was go on a trip out of the country (where I never went swimming, and avoided foods such as lettuce that could make one potentially sick) and I haven't been to the gym in 2 or 3 weeks. But seriously, stuff like that isn't THAT dramatic... So?? I'm just not sure if I should go see my doc or leave it be and see what happens next month...
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: No period? - May 15th 2012, 09:17 PM

Honestly this seems fairly normal. Birth control makes your periods pretty irregular, and this kind of stuff can happen. Really, on the pill, what you are having is called "breakthrough bleeding", it's not really a period, and actually has no medical reason to have it. You can go without it, since you are not ovulating anyway.

There are two things I could see from what you said that could be "causing" this. One, if you went out of the country, your pill taking may have become a bit irregular, and by not taking it at the same time everyday, it made the hormone amount differ a bit more. I really don't think this is doctor necessary, but you do know your own body better than I do. If you would feel more comfortable seeing a doctor and can afford it, it's never a bad idea. But overall, I've had very similar things happen to me.

something burning?
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: No period? - May 15th 2012, 11:36 PM

Yeah, I've just been taking birth control for probably 4 to 5 years now and I have no memory of a period this short (under a day), it's usually pretty consistent so I was sorta like uhhhhhhhh... i FEEL fine though so what ever, I can settle for not worrying
Closed Thread