TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Sex and Puberty (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f6-sex-puberty/)
-   -   Female Advice Preferred: first period (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f6-sex-puberty/t106462-first-period/)

Hannah36 July 17th 2012 11:42 PM

first period

im 15 and i recently got my first period...what's the usual time until i get my next one? im not too sure of the process or the days until the next one? and how do i tell when my next one is due?

Arcenciel July 18th 2012 12:20 AM

Re: first period

Every girl's period cycle is different, but for most women it's about 3-5 days I believe. I get mine for nearly a whole week and sometimes 8 days...but that's because mine is super heavy. Every girl is different, but that's the average.

As for the next time you're going to get it...I think it's about a month until the next one. For a while it will kind of be a surprise until you get to know your period cycle. Just keep pads or tampons (or both) in your backpack with you and maybe carry one with you in your purse so when you're out and about you aren't left with no backup. Also, periods can be super irregular for the first while (year or so) after a girl starts getting it. The best way to know is just to be prepared. A lot of girls mark their cycle on the calendar when they get it and then count the days, so that they can better predict their period. Give that a shot and see what you can come up with.
Congrats on getting it, by the way! I was really excited but terrified when I got mine. You've now got it until you're like...50...so enjoy it now while it's still new and not a pain in the bum!

Jen

facade July 18th 2012 12:31 AM

Like Jen said, usually periods are irregular in the beginning. I remember when I first got mine. In the beginning mine came every other month for a while, instead of the usual every month. :p

Mine was irregular for a while before it started to regulate. To try and keep track, mark it on a calendar like Jen suggested. It helps me keep track of my own period. Plus, I was told to always remember the first date of your last period. Especially when going to the doctors for a check up or anything like that. My nurse always asks me!

Also, just keep in mind that things like stress can cause your period to become irregular, and there is no need to start freaking out if you missed a month or something like that.

Ennui. July 18th 2012 01:57 AM

Hey there,

Sometimes your periods can be irregular when you start getting them and then become more regular. I remember mine would usually come a little bit early or late, but most of the time you get them around every 28 days. I do what Jen suggested and mark it on a calendar when the first day of my period comes. It sort of helps me estimate when I will get it next month, with a margin of a few days' error for irregular months. Everyone gets theirs for a different amount of days, too, like mine last anywhere from 5 to 7 days, but some people have them for as few as 3. Some people's periods are heavy, some people's are light, and some are in the middle as well.

Welcome to the wonderful world of womanhood. :D

Wildflower2009 July 18th 2012 03:31 AM

There are LOTS of apps for smartphones that can keep track of your period for you! Use one if you can. It will make things easier until you figure out your body! The average cycle is about 28 days, so for now thats what you should use. It should at least give you a good idea of when to expect your next period. You can also count it out on a calendar. The first day of your period will be "day 1" and you count all the way until "day 28". You should start your next period the next day, on "day 29" which will become the new "day 1" and you start counting again! Make sense? Lol.

Harmony♥ July 18th 2012 02:21 PM

While an app on the phone might work, it's very generalized instead of personalized. When I got my first period, I was about 11. I was excited, and it lasted about a week. The next month, I never got my period. But, the next month after the skipped one, I've gotten my period every month and I've now had my period for about 12 years.

Typically, periods are every month, and it all depends on the person on how long they last. Mine can last anywhere between 4-7 days, but I'm on birth control, so I have a pretty good idea when my next period is coming. For you, since you've only just gotten your first period, it could be very irregular and you may skip next month or you might not. It all depends. When you have your period more frequently, you will have a better idea of when it's coming next.

Starwarsgirl827 July 20th 2012 07:27 AM

I agree with Jen. Every girl is different so there is no way of knowing when your next period will be. When I first started having my period, they were very irregular. I would get it once every two months. With do time, the dates get closer and you'll be able to tell.

FuturesEnd45 July 20th 2012 08:57 AM

Usually it will be 3-5 days. Keep a calender and mark today on it with an x or maybe a symbol. periods come about every 28-30 days for most girls so count and mark the day or even the week you may get one so you can be ready :3 good luck

Eternal July 21st 2012 02:56 AM

I use an app and its actually pretty helpful for me to just have a general idea of when I can expect my next one. As others have said, they usually last 4-7 days but everyone's is different and it will probably take yours a couple years before it regulates.