TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Sex and Puberty (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f6-sex-puberty/)
-   -   Female Advice Preferred: Swimming whilst on period? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f6-sex-puberty/t106844-swimming-whilst-period/)

-.-. .- - is the name July 24th 2012 05:48 AM

Swimming whilst on period?

'ello. c:
So, in a few weeks I'm due for 'that time.'
In a few weeks, I'm supposed to be going to a lake house.
Does anyone know of anyway to swim whilst on that time?
&i'm gonna talk to my friend (that I'm going with) about it.

But if I can STILL go, is there any way I can swim?

Note; I'd be swimming in a lake. :P

Thanks girls. cx
and any guys that know the answer... :nosweat:

escape♥ July 24th 2012 12:41 PM

Re: Swimming whilst on period?

Hey,
You could wear a tampon. They work wonders. :nosweat:
~paula

Arcenciel July 24th 2012 04:35 PM

Hey there.

Fun fact that you might not have known about. When you submerge your lower body in water, the water will actually hold the blood in. You won't bleed in the water or anything like that. The same thing applies for bathing while on your period. If you have a bath, the water doesn't turn red or anything because of bleeding. You don't actually NEED to wear a tampon to swim.
That being said, many women choose to wear a tampon while swimming because it makes them feel more comfortable and may feel a bit more sanitary for them. Also, if you're going to be getting OUT of the water,you'll need to have some protection.

You should be fine. Just remember that if you decide to wear a tampon, tuck the string in somewhere so that it doesn't hang down through your bathing suit ;) Awkward...

Good luck!

HisPrincess July 24th 2012 05:54 PM

Yep :) Just like the others said, you can wear a tampon while in and around the lake. Like Jen mentioned, the water will actually stop your period, but many girls wear a tampon if they are going to be around the water for the simple reason that if they are not going to be in the water 100% of the time, their period will start back up again shortly after they are out of the water. You wouldn't want to necessarily take that risk, but that's up to you. :)

If you don't wear tampons though, I'm not sure what you could do as far as swimming goes while you were there. If that was the case, I'm not sure if there is another way you can go swimming without wearing one. :) Hope this was helpful! Talking to your friend about it is another good option, it can be helpful to have someone there who knows what's going on in case you need a buddy that knows how to help you(if say... you thought something leaked for example). Good luck!

~Angelica

Maloo July 24th 2012 06:46 PM

I think it really all depends on how heavy your flow is. I still bleed when I'm swimming because I have a really heavy period.

But yes, tampons work wonders.

-.-. .- - is the name July 25th 2012 12:03 AM

I've never used tampon, hence the slight worry.
Welp, time to talk to my mum about using them. :nosweat:

RoverGirl July 25th 2012 12:35 AM

Tampons aren't scary once you get used to them. There are loads of horror stories concerning tampons, but as long as you remember to take them out, you'll be fine. :)

Get some practise would be my advice and always use the lowest absorbancy to start with until you get used to them.

I hope I've been of help :)
RoverGirl

leonidas July 25th 2012 02:32 AM

I agree with everyone else, Try tampons. They work very well and you won't even notice them once you get used to them. They're a tad uncomfortable at first but if you use plastic ones it's a lot easier.

DeletedAccount71 July 25th 2012 03:56 AM

You should be fine with a tampon. If you are anticipating a heavy flow wear a super tampon/XL tampon. Just remember to take it out in four to six hours.

Arcenciel July 25th 2012 04:18 AM

Small tip: use a tampon with a plastic applicator. It's much easier to get in the first time around. I use U by Kotex and they have new ones now with a rubber finger grip that works WONDERS. They're really easy to use and I prefer them over pads. Also, tampon boxes come with instructions with pictures.

crazychick10793 July 25th 2012 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arcenciel (Post 922108)
Hey there.

Fun fact that you might not have known about. When you submerge your lower body in water, the water will actually hold the blood in. You won't bleed in the water or anything like that. The same thing applies for bathing while on your period. If you have a bath, the water doesn't turn red or anything because of bleeding. You don't actually NEED to wear a tampon to swim.
That being said, many women choose to wear a tampon while swimming because it makes them feel more comfortable and may feel a bit more sanitary for them. Also, if you're going to be getting OUT of the water,you'll need to have some protection.

You should be fine. Just remember that if you decide to wear a tampon, tuck the string in somewhere so that it doesn't hang down through your bathing suit ;) Awkward...

Good luck!

actually, thats not true. I found out the hard way, by getting my period in the water D: gross! There's nothing to worry about with tampons though

Dark-and-Twisty July 25th 2012 08:12 PM

I couldn't imagine giving up swimming whilst on my period. :P
Like the others said, just wear a tampon. Personally, I prefer to use OB, though a majority of people I know don't like them. They're a little "different," because they don't have an applicator. You just stick it in with your finger. It might seem a little gross at first, but I don't mind it because then I know exactly where it is, and when I was younger I always had issues with the applicators, so I just got used to the OB tampons.

zlfnb July 26th 2012 05:59 AM

Two things.

1. Tampons have not failed me yet whilst swimming.

2. Remember to take the applicator out. (sad little naive preteen I was....) :nosweat:

I get really paranoid about swimming on my period. But that's just me. XD

BeautifulDisaster95 July 26th 2012 12:26 PM

Hey there :)
I would suggest using a tampon, It's the best protection there is when you need it especially when you're swimming. But Don't forget to change it every so often! Have fun at the Lake! Yolo :)

Sarahh9 July 27th 2012 04:53 AM

Just going to put this out therem.. Its kind of gross though :p if you REALLY don't wear a tampon and your flow is pretty light that day you can swim without it, and if a little blood gets in your bathing suit while yourre going back into the house to put aa pad on or whatever, bathing suits rinse out really really easily. Obviously, if its more than a little blood or a light coloured bathing suit it'll stain, but if your wearing like balck bottoms your don't have to worry aboutt like sprinting back into the house. You have a solid 5 minutes I'd say :p

lacylovebugg July 27th 2012 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arcenciel (Post 922108)
Hey there.

I have not found this to be true! I have actually started my period while swimming, luckily I had my best friend there to save the day! I wear tampons no matter what. Pads make me feel gross, they smell, and I can't feel when it needs to change. I can feel it on a tampon, plus you can go swimming!

-.-. .- - is the name July 27th 2012 10:36 AM

Thank you everyone, I think i'll try with the tampon. ^-^

HealingAngel July 29th 2012 08:20 AM

Tampax Pearl. Wear a bit of a heavier one than you would need and chance it a bit more often because it will fill a bit with water and not completely with justtttt blood (from my experience). Bring a beach bag and keep the extras in a small zipper or something. You do need to wear a tampon though. Definitelyyyy. Don't go in without anything.

Also, no white bathing suits or ones with a very light color if you have a heavy flow. Red,black, and dark blue work best, but just make sure if theres a bitttt of watered down blood it wont be seen.

Also, it wont stain your suit. The water will wash any spotting right away instantaneously.

-.-. .- - is the name August 9th 2012 10:37 AM

I forgot to officially thank you all.
Sadly, the trip was cancelled,
and my period started around the time the trip would've been over. :'D

Thanks though. ^-^

Tigerlily. August 10th 2012 05:13 AM

Since the OP is not only satisfied with the answers but the event has passed, I'm going to close this thread. If the OP would like to see it re-opened, just PM Traci, Ryan, or myself.