TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Sex and Puberty (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f6-sex-puberty/)
-   -   Sex before smear test - quick question. (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f6-sex-puberty/t108498-sex-before-smear-test-quick-question/)

bitesize August 25th 2012 01:19 AM

Sex before smear test - quick question.

I have a smear test appointment on Monday morning at 9.30am (tryingnottothinkaboutittryingnottothinkaboutit... ....) which will probably end up being at around 11 - 11.30, the public health system being what it is. The internet tells me in several places that I should avoid sex in the 48 hours before the test. Does this mean I really shouldn't have sex tomorrow afternoon (using a condom) or is it more of a loose guideline?? Thankyoouuu. x

medic2013 August 25th 2012 02:02 AM

Re: Sex before smear test - quick question.

No sex with in at least 24 to 48 hours befor the test b/c it will make ur pap smear abmornal

Age of Ignorance August 25th 2012 02:50 AM

To be honest, I see no reason why you can't have sex an hour before the test. The pap smear detects bacteria that is caused by HPV, which shouldn't exactly alter even during sex.

Then again, I'm not a doctor, nor a female, so it's probably best to just stick to the guidelines.

Lizzie August 25th 2012 03:03 AM

I have always been told by doctors to refrain from having sex before a pap. If you are willing to have it done again if it comes back abnormal then go for it. But if you rather have an accurate test the first time around I suggest holding off for the day.

bitesize August 25th 2012 03:06 AM

Out of curiosity (honestly :bleh: ) would masturbation affect the results as well?? Yeah, the thought of having to have another one is pretty awful so I don't think I'll risk it..

medic2013 August 25th 2012 03:40 AM

Masturbation won't effect it b/c there really isn't anything in there to effect the test. Sex will show up b/c of the test that is done.

bitesize August 25th 2012 03:42 PM

Oh, why would sex affect it and not masturbation?? o.O

Lizzie August 25th 2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitesize (Post 937023)
Oh, why would sex affect it and not masturbation?? o.O

There is different bacteria involved with sex with another person.

bitesize August 25th 2012 04:29 PM

Thanks Lizzie!!
I've been doing more reading up and it seems that the only reason they don't like you having sex beforehand is because sperm can interfere with the cells....so would it really make a difference if we were using a condom?? This is all becoming a bit hypothetical because I'm not sure if I will actually be having sex today in the end...

Although apparently abrasions caused by penetration might also be a problem. Right, ok.

Mods can go ahead and close this, I've pretty much managed to get the question answered. Thanks for the help guys!!x

Tigerlily. August 25th 2012 07:22 PM

Closing this thread as asked by the OP.