TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, birth control and sexual health, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Paix et Amour Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Points: 17,088, Level: 19 Points: 17,088, Level: 19 Points: 17,088, Level: 19

camping while on your period? - September 1st 2012, 11:02 AM

im going camping on the 8th and chances are im going to be on my period while there (its already a bit overdue but unless i get it in the next 2 or 3 days i will be on it during.)

i have a couple things first. its just one night. going early saturday leaving sunday. second, i cant use tampons, just pads. i dont bleed enough and im personally not comfortable with them as they hurt a bit and i just dont like the idea of having bleached cotton up there xD and also there are only vault toilets there. if they had normal bathrooms i wouldnt have this problem haha. i dont bleed very much so im thinking i might be able to last one one pad the whole time but it wont be very comfortable.

im just wondering how to deal with that? i know its not always safe to throw them in an outside toilet like that (i guess animals are attracted to blood?) from some websites telling me that but idk.

what do you guys think i should do?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25

Re: camping while on your period? - September 1st 2012, 02:10 PM

I'm sure the bathrooms will have some kind of garbage can, or there will be a garbage can nearby. Roll it up in some toilet paper, or bring something you can hide a pad in and just throw it away.

Lasting a whole 24 hours on one pad isn't sanitary, though, regardless of how much you bleed. You should bring a couple with you, just to be on the safe side.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Points: 41,800, Level: 29 Points: 41,800, Level: 29 Points: 41,800, Level: 29

Re: camping while on your period? - September 1st 2012, 02:20 PM

I wouldn't recommend going the whole time on one pad, it isn't very sanitary as said. I'm sure there will be a bin around somewhere that you can just wrap the used pad up in the new pad wrapper or some tissue and put it in so I'd take a few with you in case.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Points: 31,468, Level: 25 Points: 31,468, Level: 25 Points: 31,468, Level: 25

Re: camping while on your period? - September 1st 2012, 06:48 PM

^ you got some good advice. Although, I'm gonna be totally gross and say that when I've been REALLY light, and camping, I lasted around 15 hours without changing. It was icky, and really unsanitary, but eh, I survived! Take baby wipes, and use those whenever you go to the bathroom. If you can find biodegrade pads, I heard you can bury them in the ground! Just bury them really well- wouldn't want them to be accidentally discovered.... My situation was a bit different to yours, I was hiking AND camping (of the joys of the Duke of Edinburgh award!)

Another thing I've done (again, probably unsanitary but I figured heck, I'm camping, I'm not particularly clean anyway ) was just carry the used pads wrapped up in a small bag in your backpack if you go somewhere. Then, when you're out and about you can throw away the use ones into a toilet that DOES have bins.

But have fun! Don't let it get you down x

Take as long as you need.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Tired...
Not a n00b

Points: 7,229, Level: 12 Points: 7,229, Level: 12 Points: 7,229, Level: 12

Re: camping while on your period? - September 1st 2012, 06:52 PM

Bring a couple with you. Change them, or you could get an infection, and you will smell nasty down there the whole time. You won't have any fun if you're just worrying about this! Wrap it up in some toilet paper. If there's no garbage can or something, put it in a plastic bag, and seal it before putting in your bag or something. Have fun!

Also, I like to use wet wipes. They're kind of like baby wipes, but they have a nice scent to them, and I haven't had any problems with them. They completely remove any smell that you may be having.. down there.

You can be born human and still become a monster.
Closed Thread