TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, birth control and sexual health, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fenzy Offline
Only dogs should fear pounds.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Cassie

Points: 10,091, Level: 14 Points: 10,091, Level: 14 Points: 10,091, Level: 14

No Period.. should I be worried? - February 2nd 2013, 07:37 PM

I am 15, turning 16 in 5 months. I haven't gotten my period yet but every single one of my friends has, even my younger friends. My chiropractor says it could be because I am so active, but I haven't been active since basketball and nordic skiing were cancelled which was a few months ago. I have never been REALLY active, girls who have super muscles and are in shape who work out have gotten their periods. I have low blood pressure which was apparently caused by my "poor diet". Apparently, I wasn't eating enough. It pissed me off because I truly believed that I was and that I was fat. That's when my disordered eating started and has continued for 4 months.

Could my malnutrition be keeping me from getting my period? I haven't been restricting for long and in my opinion, (which may or may not be distorted)I don't feel that i am restricting enough to stop my period. I can't say numbers but I know that I don't get near my daily calorie intake.. ever.
But no one has shown a severe concern for my weight loss yet, so I couldn't have lost enough to cause this could I?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: No Period.. should I be worried? - February 3rd 2013, 06:34 AM

Restriction of calories wouldn't cause you to not get your period, and neither would being active.
What could affect it is if you are very underweight. Being malnourished can also prevent you from getting your period, but just not eating enough alone wouldn't be delaying it.
You're just a late bloomer, it isn't too much to be worried about. However, if it would give you some piece of mind you could talk to your doctor about it. I think if you haven't gotten it once you get closer to 18 then you'll want to get it checked out, but you're still young right now. I have some friends who got their periods when they were around 15 or 16 years old.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
CrystalJade Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 14,857, Level: 17 Points: 14,857, Level: 17 Points: 14,857, Level: 17

Re: No Period.. should I be worried? - February 4th 2013, 05:16 AM

You're supposed to go and talk to a doctor if you haven't gotten your period by the time you are 16. There could be something going on like low hormone levels (which is able to be fixed) or you could just be a late bloomer. You shouldn't be starving yourself either. It only causes harm and it's not worth it, trust me. If you don't get it by your 16th birthday I would recommend making a doctors appointment though, they can make a better assessment.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Fenzy Offline
Only dogs should fear pounds.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Cassie

Points: 10,091, Level: 14 Points: 10,091, Level: 14 Points: 10,091, Level: 14

Re: No Period.. should I be worried? - February 4th 2013, 07:25 PM

Thank you, I think my mom is going to make an appointment for me before July which is my 16th birthday
Closed Thread