TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, birth control and sexual health, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Spikey Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Molly

Points: 12,765, Level: 16 Points: 12,765, Level: 16 Points: 12,765, Level: 16

She's Had No Period For 8 Months...??? - February 8th 2013, 11:50 AM

A girl in my class was talking to me today and she told me that she hasn't had a period for 8 months. And she said that she's taken a pregnancy test and is showing absolutely no signs of being pregnant. She told me the only method of contraception she uses is the condom with her boyfriend.

She said that she has no memory of having her period in the summer, so she last had one in early spring and she'd be having a baby by now if she was pregnant.

She said that she's been trying to ring the doctors for a while, but they've got some stupid approach to getting appointments and it's really awkward for her to get one.

I kind of want to give her some comfort really. She's worried that she won't be able to have children cos that'll really devastate her, especially as she works with kids. She's 17 by the way.

So, has this happened to anyone before? Or has anyone heard of it? I'm not asking for you to diagnose her, but I'm just wondering if there are other people out there that have had this problem and what it resulted in.

Thanks!
RosieJ

And she turns up the music, to drown out her life.

22/12/2014 was the last date I self-harmed. The longest I have gone so far is 1 year, 2 months and 5 days. This time, I hope I can give up! New record: 1 year 6 months! Yay!!
Previously:
Kibska
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Points: 19,767, Level: 20 Points: 19,767, Level: 20 Points: 19,767, Level: 20

Re: She's Had No Period For 8 Months...??? - February 8th 2013, 12:24 PM

There are a lot of reasons why a woman's body might stop producing periods. It would actually be extremely difficult to speculate why they stopped.
Some woman don't show symptoms of pregnancy, although this is rare it does happen.
Producing periods isn't required for survival, therefor when your body is struggling with disease or nutrition it is sometimes one of the things it stops doing in an effort to maintain homeostasis. Things like being malnourished, taking drugs, stress, hormone imbalances, and many more can cause a woman's period to stop.

Her best bet is to go to the doctor, which she's already trying to do. There really isn't anything she can do above and beyond that for now other than trying to be healthy.

Member since 2005
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Jack Lowden Offline
Afternoon.
I can't get enough

Points: 45,116, Level: 30 Points: 45,116, Level: 30 Points: 45,116, Level: 30

Re: She's Had No Period For 8 Months...??? - February 8th 2013, 05:13 PM

If she's really concerned about it, she should speak to her doctor. However, I'd like to say that I had irregular periods up until I started taking birth control (at 18 years old), which means I went months & months without a period.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Formerly Puppy-Sized Elephant
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Elsa

Points: 14,399, Level: 17 Points: 14,399, Level: 17 Points: 14,399, Level: 17

Re: She's Had No Period For 8 Months...??? - February 9th 2013, 02:56 AM

I have a friend who's periods are SUPER irregular. She said she can go a year without having one, and there was a time in high school where she went 3-4 years without one. I thought it was a bit weird, but hey, everyone's different.
Closed Thread